I was wondering, exactly what are scales? I've been playing seriously since I was 13(Im now 18), but my guitar teacher never taught me any scales or music theory. So I figured I'd start learning that, but no article I come across online explains what scales are in a way I understand. Someone please help me
well for one they help you write music, solos, etc.
Quote by letsgocoyote
No I'm not Jesus. I would aspire to be though. I think under circumstances he would let you pay less if you needed to.
major and minor pentatonic scales are probably easiest to learn first. Then the major and minor scales. Then the modes of the major scale. Then whatever different sounding scales you can find.
Scales are a bunch of notes that a song and its chords are composed of. I suggest you start with the C major scale
Scales are an order of notes based upon the intervals of the major scale (1 2 3 4 5 6 7)

If we were looking for the A maj scale, we'd use that formula and it would come out:
A B C D E F G
WTF???
Youv'e been playing "seriously" for 5 years and don't know what scales are? How old is your guitar teacher, like 5 years old??
I think that you are making this up.
There is now way that have been playing guitar for 5 yrs and have a teacher and would need to ask"exactly what are scales"?
Quote by siksofus
WTF???
Youv'e been playing "seriously" for 5 years and don't know what scales are? How old is your guitar teacher, like 5 years old??
I think that you are making this up.
There is now way that have been playing guitar for 5 yrs and have a teacher and would need to ask"exactly what are scales"?

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. Im a total guitar n00b, but I knew/heard/started learning about scales like 2 days after I bought my guitar.

Chances are, after 5 years, youve been playing some sort of scale progression and didnt even know it.

Look up scales on youtube. Thats where I've been learning them from.