Hi all,

I am looking for some advice for a scale to play over a 12 bar blues progression of Emin9, A7 B7. I have using Em Blues pentatonic at the 9th fret, but it just doesn’t feel quite right. I am covering the song “Down in the Hole” written by Tom Waites and recently done by Steve Earle for the HBO show “The Wire”. My version is a little more along the lines of a Gov’t Mule sound.

Suggestions?
try E blues scale
Proud member of r0k 4 Chr15t club, PM T3hRav3n/christianbassis to join.

The Rig:
Dean Icon
Cimar strat-copy
Ibanez GRX-40
Dean Edge-1 Bass
Digitech RpX400
Peavey Rage 158

Creater of Tuba players united, pm to join.
I'm pretty inexperienced with blues guitar, but I am relatively knowledgeable about theory. Are you ONLY using the 9th fret position? If you are, it might just be where you're starting in the scale. Try starting at the 12th fret?
Quote by tremper6
I'm pretty inexperienced with blues guitar, but I am relatively knowledgeable about theory. Are you ONLY using the 9th fret position? If you are, it might just be where you're starting in the scale. Try starting at the 12th fret?

So something like:

---12--14---
---12--14---
-11--13-----
-11----14---
-11----14---
---12--14---

This scale?
Urrrr

You could try improvising in arpeggios instead of one set scale...
If you used the E minor pentatonic scale over the Eminor9 then when the chords changed you change to the A dominant arpeggio and then the B dominant arpeggio.

Theres not a scale you can use here for all the chords as the B7 and A7 are from different keys, therefore the only way to do it is to combine the arpeggios and scales

Problem solved

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Crit Me.

Time to Breathe