Epiphone SG-Special
Freshman FA1 AWR
Roland Cube 15

Member of
'girls of UG club’
PM Noxiosimitator to join
it looks pretty high,

but if I take a photo from my neck at the 10th/12th fret from
such a small distance it looks like my action is very high also.
so I think it ain't that high as it looks.
A hero of war, Yeah that's what I'll be

(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)
it's really hard to tell when it's that magnified but i dont think so. you don't want it real close to the frets cause then you'll get buzz.
It' seems a little high for my taste, but there's no "right" action.......

A lot of people try to get it as low as possible, but it ultimately matters what you like...

Too high though... intonation becomes an issue..too low sustain, ability for notes to ring, and buzzing becomes an issue...

I usually prefer mine at(I haven't measured in mm): just under 3/32" high E off 12th fret, and about 3/32" Low E off 12th fret....
Washburn D-12
Ibanez RG
Ibanez RG 7321
Epiphone Les Paul / EMG 81 85
Fender MIM Ash Stratocaster
Digitech Whammy
Small Stone Phaser
Boss SD-1-Modded
Boss MT-2-Modded
Boss CE-5
Boss DD-3-Modded
ISP Decimator
B-52 AT-212
YES!

i suggest lighter strings
Quote by cakeandpiemofo
Quote by tuwyci
why are metal musicians prone to fatness?
Cause there music is heavy.

Writing music is hard D:
compared to alot of people
yes
compared to others
not quite as much.

It's a personal preference thing either way though
Quote by sluffinator
Yeh this guy knows his ****... just listen to him XD

Quote by ScreamingCheeto
NaivexLi is anything but naive. His post was a pretty good source of info.

Thanks

Quote by MightyAl

Pro tip, kids - girls are NOT impressed by your blood.
Not sure if intonation is a problem, but if you think its too high, then its too high. Thats all there really is to it. Lighter guage strings strings probablywont do much. If its significantly higher in the center of the fretboard, compared to the ends of the fretboard, then the neck is bowing too much. You need a truss rod adjustment to fix that.
it plays like crap,and yes its a hellraiser FR.i hate the aciton right now i took it to a luthier and he said theres a neck defect since its buzzing with such high action so guitar center is ordering a new one for me
Best guideline, grab two quarters, and stackthem where you would put your finger (But under the strings) on the 12th fret. They should touch the strings. If not, its probably to high of action
Quote by mondaymonkey
Best guideline, grab two quarters, and stackthem where you would put your finger (But under the strings) on the 12th fret. They should touch the strings. If not, its probably to high of action

I can't even fit ONE quarter under my low E at the 12th, and I have no buzz at all.
Quote by decadence5423
Not sure if intonation is a problem, but if you think its too high, then its too high. Thats all there really is to it. Lighter guage strings strings probablywont do much. If its significantly higher in the center of the fretboard, compared to the ends of the fretboard, then the neck is bowing too much. You need a truss rod adjustment to fix that.

I wasn't saying it was a problem for him, but if string action is too high, it takes more stretch for the string to be fretted because the distance is greater and it can throw off intonation(usually sharp) when playing...
Washburn D-12
Ibanez RG
Ibanez RG 7321
Epiphone Les Paul / EMG 81 85
Fender MIM Ash Stratocaster
Digitech Whammy
Small Stone Phaser
Boss SD-1-Modded
Boss MT-2-Modded
Boss CE-5
Boss DD-3-Modded
ISP Decimator
B-52 AT-212
Quote by Reildeal
I wasn't saying it was a problem for him, but if string action is too high, it takes more stretch for the string to be fretted because the distance is greater and it can throw off intonation(usually sharp) when playing...

this is true...but I hope people dont usually use action that high 0.0

I can only imagine the kind of gorilla hands you'd need to play with a guitar with that kind of action haha.
Quote by sluffinator
Yeh this guy knows his ****... just listen to him XD

Quote by ScreamingCheeto
NaivexLi is anything but naive. His post was a pretty good source of info.

Thanks

Quote by MightyAl

Pro tip, kids - girls are NOT impressed by your blood.
Quote by which ones pink
I can't even fit ONE quarter under my low E at the 12th, and I have no buzz at all.

What guitar are you using!?
Quote by devilmaycrykid
What guitar are you using!?

'93 Squier strat with .010s on it lol. It's got a really flat fretboard though (that's unusual for a Strat), so that might have something to do with it.