Well basically, which floyd style trem is easier to maintain in proper working order?

The ZR has the zero point system that keeps the other strings somewhat in tune when you break a string, and it has a roller thingy to adjust the spring tension in the back.

The edge pro is similar to a floyd.

I have read many floyd setup threads, but none of them ever tell you how to lube the knife edges, or the ball bearings on a ZR. If you have a ZR, what do you use to lube the bearings?To my understanding, you use carmex to lube the knife edges on a edge pro.
I would like to know all of this before i go out and get a guitar with a trem.

thanks again

edit: spelled "order" wrong
The ZR is the definition of low-maintenance, basically. You don't need to lube the bearings, not regularly anyway.
I would go with a ZR definately. Doesnt it also have a feature that keeps the trem arm in place instead of it falling?
Quote by qotsa1998
I would go with a ZR definately. Doesnt it also have a feature that keeps the trem arm in place instead of it falling?

A tiny application of clear nail polish inside the bearings of the edge pro's trem bar will tighten it up.
Gear

'07 Ibanez RG1570MRB Prestige
'97 Ibanez RGR570 - V7/Dimarzio Fast Track/ Dimarzio PAF Pro
Westfield SG Copy
Westfield Strat Copy
Falcon Acoustic
Peavey Valveking 212
Roland Microcube
Unbranded 15W Starter Amp
Maintenance on a the tremolo isn't going to be a huge deal in the long run. If one feels better to you, then use that one.

Personally, I don't really like the ZR very much. It is a lower quality bridge, the design just means that lower quality has less of an effect on the actual utility of the bridge. I've heard conflicting things about whether the ball bearings are sealed or not. If they aren't then you do have to maintain them.

The Edge Zero has the back end of the ZR with a knife tremolo, so you don't have to get a ZR for that. That system doesn't do anything that you can't get through technique.
Quote by Shabalaba
Can you fit ZRs on say a RG?

i believe there are some new RGs coming out already fitted with ZRs, dont hold me to it though
Top lel.
Quote by webbtje
The ZR is the definition of low-maintenance, basically. You don't need to lube the bearings, not regularly anyway.

Nope, ZRs need way more maintenance than knife-edge style trems.

Quote by Shabalaba
Can you fit ZRs on say a RG?

With some routing I believe, but I don't know if the holes for the studs would get in the way. PinkEdit: I think the studs are different sizes actually.

Quote by the memory
i believe there are some new RGs coming out already fitted with ZRs, dont hold me to it though

Edge Zero. It's basically an Edge Pro with the Zero Point system added, so that it stays in tune even if you break a string, and you can tune from drop D to standard with the fine tuners.