So, I have decided that I would like a new guitar with a whammy bar that I will have permanently tuned to D standard. I had recently decided that I wanted an Ibanez RG1570 because of the price and build quality, and it pretty much fitted what I wanted, however, recently I am having doubts. I know that the pickups aren't too strong with the RG, and I've been really into V shaped guitars (the RR style ones) lately also, possibly because I have been really into Children of Bodom lately (more than usual).
Anyway, this encouraged my to look around the internet for a V shaped guitar built in Japan/USA with two pickups. Why the hell aren't there any of these around except for extortionately priced ones. The only real options are the ESP SV which is £1300 ($2600) and the Jackson RR1 which is £1700 ($3400), which is way too much for me to pay.
I don't really have a price limit because I'm earning £40 a week, so I could save forever until I get enough to buy a very expensive guitar, but I don't really want me to do that because with other expenses deducted it would take me until xmas to afford one.
I have considered the one pickup V guitars and there seem to be a few at really good prices, but I'm not sure if they would have the tonal flexibilities that I want. Theres a very well priced Edwards E-AL-128 Scythe (Alexi sig) that I can get, which would be just as cheap as the RG but I would have to import it from Japan which would be more hassle and money.

My main options are:
- Ibanez RG1570
- ESP Edwards E-AL-128 Scythe
- ESP SV at xmas
- Other possibly

And if you hadn't already guessed, I play metal if you want to make any suggestions.
The RG is excellent build quality and hardware, i would strongly recommend that one, and pickups are able to be replaced, but build quality and wood cannot be.
Gear

'07 Ibanez RG1570MRB Prestige
'97 Ibanez RGR570 - V7/Dimarzio Fast Track/ Dimarzio PAF Pro
Westfield SG Copy
Westfield Strat Copy
Falcon Acoustic
Peavey Valveking 212
Roland Microcube
Unbranded 15W Starter Amp
Jackson RR3 is around £400 and RR5 is around £800, but I'm not sure where they're built.
The Edwards Alexi's are solid, and beasty as all hell ONCE you've changed pickups.
R E G G A E
i have a rx10d

rr shape liseced floyd bout £250
really nice to play though

whats the import site for that edwards?
MIJ Rhoads Pro '90
Epi LP Prophecy GX + LP Custom Maple EMGs
MIJ Soloist XL '93 =]
MIJ Fender Strat Kahler
Squire tele '94?
Warlock platinum '90? old shape

Laney VC15

Jackhammer
TRADES????
is your 2 to 1 conversion rate accurate???
Originally posted by arrrgg
When my grandpa comes over to visit, after his shower, he walks around naked to dry off
Quote by TheDarkestNights
Jackson RR3 is around £400 and RR5 is around £800, but I'm not sure where they're built.
The Edwards Alexi's are solid, and beasty as all hell ONCE you've changed pickups.

Cool, do you have one? What pickup do you suggest should be swapped in?
Quote by TheDarkestNights

+1

why ruin that beautiful edwards with that damn pick-up
get an RG ! check out the prestige ranges or even an S ! jacksons are good too. Im a superstrat man myself so i hate V's or guitars that replicate a ninja star so a dinky would be cool. Check out the DK2s it has a sustainiac and a very nice finish, i love mine and i can play anything on it ! from necrophagist to dream theater even gets a decent blues sound :

EDIT: Oh also, this cost me 550 quid brand new from andertons in guildford, they have them on GAK also.
Quote by False_God
+1

why ruin that beautiful edwards with that damn pick-up

I wish they'd just make it an extra £100 and put 2 good pickups in instead of one crappy one What would be a good pickup to put in if I wanted to retain nice rhythm sounds without it sounding bad when soloing in the higher frets?

Quote by Zanon
get an RG ! check out the prestige ranges or even an S ! jacksons are good too. Im a superstrat man myself so i hate V's or guitars that replicate a ninja star so a dinky would be cool. Check out the DK2s it has a sustainiac and a very nice finish, i love mine and i can play anything on it ! from necrophagist to dream theater even gets a decent blues sound :

EDIT: Oh also, this cost me 550 quid brand new from andertons in guildford, they have them on GAK also.

Nice guitar. I know that Jackson produce brilliant guitars, its just I'd much rather a V than a superstrat.
Quote by david_safc
I wish they'd just make it an extra £100 and put 2 good pickups in instead of one crappy one What would be a good pickup to put in if I wanted to retain nice rhythm sounds without it sounding bad when soloing in the higher frets?

I'd say go for the aul emg 81.

Its a great rhythm pup and still retains good enough leads. Better than the HZ by a mile.
Quote by False_God
I'd say go for the aul emg 81.

Its a great rhythm pup and still retains good enough leads. Better than the HZ by a mile.

Hmm maybe. I dunno, I just feel wary about buying a 1 pickup guitar in case I really don't like the tone of just a bridge pickup. Whereas a superstrat would have great flexibility with pickups, but I prefer the V shape by miles.
Ok, sorry to bring this back up, but I've decided that I would like to try and get the Edwards if I can. Its on ebay from Japan, and was wondering what the normal procedure for a purchase like this would be? Is it worth the £70 ($130) shipping? Will this sort of shipping be a real hassle? And how much am I likely to be charged on import tax?

http://ishibashi.co.jp/webshop/guitar/esp/edwards/erv138.htm

If I don't get the Edwards Alexi from ebay, I've found this guitar, which seems to fit all of my needs (with 2 pickups too) but I don't like the look of it as much as the Alexi and I don't know if they will ship to the UK.
Ishibashi have a good rep for shipping things promptly and correctly. Having been done on import duty etc before, figure in at least an extra 20 to 25% on top of the shipped value (17.5% VAT plus whatever Her Majesty's finest stick on there).
I see Mother Nature equipped you for a battle of wits in the same way she equipped cows for supersonic flight.
Quote by david_safc
Ok, sorry to bring this back up, but I've decided that I would like to try and get the Edwards if I can. Its on ebay from Japan, and was wondering what the normal procedure for a purchase like this would be? Is it worth the £70 ($130) shipping? Will this sort of shipping be a real hassle? And how much am I likely to be charged on import tax?

If I don't get the Edwards Alexi from ebay, I've found this guitar, which seems to fit all of my needs (with 2 pickups too) but I don't like the look of it as much as the Alexi and I don't know if they will ship to the UK.

careful.. it doesnt even have a headstock logo..
Quote by david_safc

Anyone?
Ok, this is the last time I'm going to revive this but I found out that if I bought the Alexi sig, with shipping and import taxes added on it would cost close to £700, and that's without the pickup change, so it seems a little expensive for a 1 pickup guitar. Just looking for some more good suggestions. I'd love a V shape but it looks like I'm not going to be able to get a decent one because they are all too expensive
Before the end of this year I plan on ordering an Edwards E-RV-148 from guitarjapan.com. They have much cheaper shipping costs than most other places that import Japanese guitars. I'm not sure if they will ship to England, but you may as well check them out. They don't list it on their website, along with many other newer Edwards models, so you have to email them and ask them to order it for you. They also deal Jackson Stars, if that's more your thing.
Heads will roll. Throats will be slit. Blood will flow like springs of water.
Quote by mafropetee
Before the end of this year I plan on ordering an Edwards E-RV-148 from guitarjapan.com. They have much cheaper shipping costs than most other places that import Japanese guitars. I'm not sure if they will ship to England, but you may as well check them out. They don't list it on their website, along with many other newer Edwards models, so you have to email them and ask them to order it for you. They also deal Jackson Stars, if that's more your thing.

It will most likely still end up costing a bomb on shipment and tax though.