Well i have been playing guitar for about three years self taught now and just a few weeks ago i started to take lessons. I think im a decent guitar player. But i definately wouldn't say im great. However, i find that i just cant play solos for the life of me. I can play simple ones like nothing else matters, etc. but i just cant play anything else that i want too. so my question is how long did it take you guys to be able to solo? I have only learned a few scales so far so i realize that i have to practice those but im still clueless to why i cant play some more intricate stuff.

Also, i find that i cant learn whoel songs either. I dont know what it is. its like i either get bored or just get to a part that i cant play and so i give up. So do you guys have any tips on learnign songs that i can use?
Free Mumia
I've been playin for around 4 years.
And have been able to solo for abour 3 of those.
I learnt the "One" solo after about a year and a half.
I've never properly learnt a scale. I know a few, but I never sit down for half an hour and just play them, or practise them or whatever.
I just stay at songs and keep playin them over and over and over till i nail it.
Just takes a whole lot of practise and dedication.
The way to a girls heart is through her ribcage
I was playing satch solos after three years but everyone progresses differently
Originally posted by arrrgg
When my grandpa comes over to visit, after his shower, he walks around naked to dry off
Quote by guerilla radio
Well i have been playing guitar for about three years self taught now and just a few weeks ago i started to take lessons. I think im a decent guitar player. But i definately wouldn't say im great. However, i find that i just cant play solos for the life of me. I can play simple ones like nothing else matters, etc. but i just cant play anything else that i want too. so my question is how long did it take you guys to be able to solo? I have only learned a few scales so far so i realize that i have to practice those but im still clueless to why i cant play some more intricate stuff.

Also, i find that i cant learn whoel songs either. I dont know what it is. its like i either get bored or just get to a part that i cant play and so i give up. So do you guys have any tips on learnign songs that i can use?

YOU are me somewhere else in the world.
Professional Tracking, Mixing and Mastering available.
Available for live sound, consultation and rig/ system designing in and around the Montreal, CA area.
PM for details.

Past clients/ credits include: The Catalyst, Click! and Alain Caron.
i can play a few simple solos after about 10 months or so. and much like you i dont care for scales.

if you want to learn a good solo, play it slow at first, and gradually build up speed. it takes patience, but its worth it
ive been playing for 2 years. wouldnt say im great. but im getting my own solo's together. no dimebag but i can still stand and deliver all hell.
Soloing isn't as dead easy as some people make it out to be
To be interesting or even to pull off a good solo you need to have a very acute sense of rhythm and be able to lock into it; aswell of course the general practicing of impro's and solos from songs, as mentioned before, a variety of Metallica solos are great steps forward
Quote by Led man32
I was playing satch solos after three years but everyone progresses differently

Everyone needs to keep that in mind.
no need to worry I been playing for 8 years and never had a lesson and I still cant solo... don't let it bring you down you will get it sooner or later.
COBHC
Quote by miguelito2729
YOU are me somewhere else in the world.

+1

Tho Im getting a little better lol!

Also, on the solos. It helps to know your scales and speed on them.

Also with solos, you have to get a feel for the solo. Listen to it a few times and then hum it out etc. Then section off the solo into different bits. learn each one slowly and accurate. Then build up the speed.
Last edited by False_God at Mar 5, 2008,
I was self taught for about 3 years, then started to get lessons, had them for about 6 months, never really got anywhere, but i did learn just two scales. Blues pent. and Minor pent. lol. I can improvise a solo over a lot of stuff, i love blues so i picked up a lot from watching stuff on youtube of god (SRV) and theres a dude who does great covers of SRV on there who makes things very clear to see. Diggity6470's Channel.
Quote by Atomic_Assault
lololololol that was epic andyd93. you just made my day

PROUD EVERTONIAN
I've been playing for about 1 and 1/4 years, and I only took about 4 months of lessons, and i can play anything from Fall Out Boy to Protest the Hero. It took me about 2 weeks to learn the base of Bloodmeat (a fairly hard song) and another two weeks to learn the tapping parts (which i am still working on). and for the whole "learning whole songs" my friends always tell me what they want me to learn, and i'll learn it. it always gives me a bit of a challenge. this prolly didn't help, but oh well
Quote by innertom
So much down syndrome

remember UG Community? thought so.
Dedication man

You mentioned getting stuck and quitting. That's a big no no.

I used to be a bit like that, I'd start playing a song, but if I hit a bit I couldn't quite get after a few mins I'd give up.

Don't, just keep trying until you nail it.

You won't become better if you don't keep challenging yourself.
Use different soloes as stepping stones, like master of puippets interlude, whole lotta love and then onto harder ones.
like everyone has said, keep at it.. break it into sections and practice at a speed you can manage then build up. Think it as if you practice a section a night [or maybe 2 depending on how fast you pick it up] then by the end of the week you will be able to nail it
I don't really have problems playing solos but I can't seem to play them properly while standing for some reason. I always hit the wrong strings.
I have been playing seriously for three years and have only been able to for the last year. It just takes practice. and what i found helped me learn to and kept me motivated was having a back track to solo against. I have an amp that does that- a Fender G-DEC. but either having someone play with you or record yourself playing the back track really helps.
scales are important in my case, most of my time is spent improvising using well known scales trying to phrase my licks differently and trying to make as little mistakes as possible. it is really testing your creative skills to come up with something interesting each time you practice
Whenever i see questions like this i reaallly dont understand what kind of answer a person is expecting. Just do it i guess, thats what i doo and it works, im self taught too.
Quote by guerilla radio

In regards to soloing- you just need to keep practising. I've been playing for about nine years- for the first three or four I could barely solo at all. Greenday was my limit. Then I pulled myself together, made a real effort to learn some scales, and now I'm not too shabby (I can play a mean Boodie King ).

If you want to learn intricate stuff, learning some scales/a little bit of theory is vital. Muscle memory will only get you so far. You don't have to learn heaps of the stuff, but you should at least get a grounding in it.

As for learning whole songs- it can be a hard slog, but you've just got to stick at it. Discipline yourself a bit. If you come to a part you can't play, practise it until you can. If you get bored, keep playing it until you found out why you loved it in the first place. Play it with some soul. I can remember agonizing over some songs, but my guitar teacher got me to stick with them, made me play them with passion, and in the end it paid off.
I could play really easy solos after about 6 months (Smells Like Teen Spirit and the intro solo to Wish You Where Here) i wasn't able to play harder stuff (most slayer solos) till about two years in, I usually practiced like 3-5 hours a day back then too, so yeah just stick with it man, it takes time and an assload of practice.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Sorry but whats the connection between Solos and scales.

And you sound exactly like me, im not bad and have only been playing for a few months, but I can never get the solos. For example the song paranoid by black sabbath, I can play all of the song except for the solo and just gave up . If I get stuck Iusually jsut quit..
Quote by 20cdndollars
You are god, floppypick

Floppydick

If that's how you read my name, leave a message saying so on my profile
Quote by floppypick

And you sound exactly like me, im not bad and have only been playing for a few months, but I can never get the solos. For example the song paranoid by black sabbath, I can play all of the song except for the solo and just gave up . If I get stuck Iusually jsut quit..

You've answered your own question there. Solo's and scales are intertwined. If you learn to play a guitar solo, you're playing a scale, whether you realise it or not. The Paranoid solo is based on the E minor pentatonic. Learn that scale, and the solo becomes a lot easier to play.
Quote by j-e-f-f-e-r-s
You've answered your own question there. Solo's and scales are intertwined. If you learn to play a guitar solo, you're playing a scale, whether you realise it or not. The Paranoid solo is based on the E minor pentatonic. Learn that scale, and the solo becomes a lot easier to play.

Ah thanks a lot . I've got a book full of scales. I think all of em, so Ill look up that one and learn it.
Quote by 20cdndollars
You are god, floppypick

Floppydick

If that's how you read my name, leave a message saying so on my profile
Quote by floppypick

most solos are based on scales, so if you can do the scales you should be able to do the solos. Unless you're like me and do a lot of atonal stuff, then scales are completely useless.

and don't quit when you get stuck man, you'll never get better that way.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
I could play Fade to Black and Enter Sandman solos after like ½ year.
"A war is coming, I've seen it in my dreams. Fires sweeping through the earth, bodies in the streets, cities turned to dust. Retaliation..."

Check out my amazing band!
An Abstract Illusion
hey man, you'll be fine. I have the same problem almost. Sure, I CAN play solos, but many of em I just plain suck at (see, Paradise City, hell, any GnR song, and fade to blacK), yet for some reason I can play other solos better (Master of Puppets, One, my own penatonic wankery, etc.). I've been playing for about a year yet can't even play the end solo to fade to black, and the Seek and Destroy solo (which is supposedly beginners stuff).

I think if you just keep screwing around w/ scales, just keep at it you'll be fine. Plus if all else fails, just improvise even when doing someone else's solo, it sometimes comes out really well.
My Gear:

Schecter Gryphon Ruby Red

Dunlop Original Crybaby
Jekyll and Hyde Ultimate Overdrive

Laney LC50
Vox AD15VT Valvetronix

My Youtube Channel, check it out!
http://www.youtube.com/user/SSnake77
I've been playing for around 3 years, I learnt about 1 year into playing, I used two methods,

1) Just finding a solo that's reasonably hard (not too hard) and practice my ass off on it, I used Nightrain by GnR, and yeh basically once I learnt it, I used the same style to improvise, until...

2) I memorised the fretboard (notes wise) and that work really well for me, I only know one scale, which is one of the pentatonics, dunno which one, but that's it.
"If you don't show it, I cannot grope it."

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.."
I'm self taught
For the last 4 months (playing for 3 years) all I have done is play everything at around 40bpm and I noticed that even though I play the songs really slow just hitting the notes clearly builds confidence and also accuracy (vital to any guitar players style)
although it can get boring play everything really slow and learn new songs really slow (of course once and a while have a jam cause guitar is about fun after all) but my point is this is really helping me not only with playing but with confidence
Quote by Sir Anonymous
I'd call you a crazy Brit, but your username seems to quite assure your sanity.

Quote by Slaytanic1993
Epic username of pure epicness

To: Jesus=ConArtist
I'm self taught
For the last 4 months (playing for 3 years) all I have done is play everything at around 40bpm and I noticed that even though I play the songs really slow just hitting the notes clearly builds confidence and also accuracy (vital to any guitar players style)
although it can get boring play everything really slow and learn new songs really slow (of course once and a while have a jam cause guitar is about fun after all) but my point is this is really helping me not only with playing but with confidence
Quote by Sir Anonymous
I'd call you a crazy Brit, but your username seems to quite assure your sanity.

Quote by Slaytanic1993
Epic username of pure epicness

To: Jesus=ConArtist