Okay, so here's the deal. I'm a bassist, so I have crappy (6-string) guitar stuff. I have about $300 I'm ready to spend on an upgrade, so here it goes.

Right now, I have a Squier Affinity Stratocaster, which I know is near the bottom of the barrel, but, I do like it on some level. Also, I have a Fender 15R amp.

Here's a link to the guitar:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Squier-Affinity-Series-Stratocaster-Electric-Guitar?sku=510423&src=3WFRWXX&ZYXSEM=0&CAWELAID=26040682

Here's a link to the amp:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-15R-Frontman-Series-II-Guitar-Combo-Amp?sku=480668&src=3SOSWXXA

Which do you all think should be upgraded first?

I had the VOX AD30VT amp in mind...I just want a 30 watt amp, that's all I'll ever need I believe. But, maybe a new guitar with some better pickups will be a good purchase as well.
Don't bother buying something crappy, save up for a better amp.
Xbox Live tag: Dream Away Rain
Add!

Quote by marko'd
dont sweat how quick your progressing, i heard that Jimi hendrix didnt get his legendary guitar skills until he was dead

Quote by Dreadnought
+ MOTHERFUCKIN' 1
i would get a new guitar first...if you sorta like the one you have now you might look into a strat.
Quote by Peradactyl
alright, off topic but how do i make forum posts

Quote by The_Paranoia
a4lrocker is an offical thread legend.
Get a new guitar....you can get a decent guitar for cheap....used is always an option too.

Wait and save up for a nice amp
Rocking the free world one step at a time!
I'm thinkin amp would greatly improve the sound, guitars alone wouldn't change it that much unless you got alot better pickups and woods etc. the amp depends on the style of music of music you play but i would get a new amp.

Origionaly Posted by CTFOD
Origionaly Posted by hownowbrowncow:
Get a new bicycle
Then you can ride it with no handlebars.

No handlebars.

No handlebars...
Quote by Ichimaru
Don't bother buying something crappy, save up for a better amp.

What do you consider a better amp? I'm a bassist, and I'm never going to want a stack, or even a 100-watter.
Quote by hellraiser1133
What do you consider a better amp? I'm a bassist, and I'm never going to want a stack, or even a 100-watter.

He means a tube amp.

What do you play? And do you need it just for practice or do you plan on joining a band/gigging?
Click for charity.

Pidgeot of the Pokemon Club
PM Calebrocker to join.

92% of UGers jump on annoying bandwagons. Don't put this in your sig if you're one of the 8% with an opinion.
Well there really isn't any point in buying a new guitar to run through a crappy amp, not that the Vox is that bad, its just that you can get a nicer-sounding amp that isn't outrageously big, like a Blackheart or an Orange Tiny Terror
Xbox Live tag: Dream Away Rain
Add!

Quote by marko'd
dont sweat how quick your progressing, i heard that Jimi hendrix didnt get his legendary guitar skills until he was dead

Quote by Dreadnought
+ MOTHERFUCKIN' 1
Quote by Haha, Crackhead
He means a tube amp.

What do you play? And do you need it just for practice or do you plan on joining a band/gigging?

I play a little bit of everything, versatility is important. All kinds of rock, soft to hard, and classic too. Occassional metal but not often, and I'd like a good clean sound.
I need it for practice, and, I would like it to be loud enough to be heard with my band. I play bass for the band, but if I wanna plug in my 6-string, I want it to be able to get loud enough to compete with their amps (which are 100-watts at practice, but they're only used at about 3 on the volume knob).
Last edited by hellraiser1133 at Mar 5, 2008,
Quote by Ichimaru
Well there really isn't any point in buying a new guitar to run through a crappy amp,

Yes there is.

It will not have a huge impact on your sound, although it will of course change, but most people get new guitars mainly because they want a better, more playable, instrument.

Sure, good tone is important, but a new guitar can help your playing plus it might be more inspiring than a new amp.

Now, TS, it all depends on what you want. Personally, I'd go for the new guitar.

I guess it's all down to whether or not you like the playability and feel of your Squier. Just go down to a store and try some guitars within your range, paired with the amp you have now. Also, try some new amps, but with your old guitar.

In the end, go for the combo you like best.
You've read it, you can't un-read it!
If you MUST spend that $300, get a new guitar. I would save for an amp first.
Quote by Bonsaischaap
Yes there is.

It will not have a huge impact on your sound, although it will of course change, but most people get new guitars mainly because they want a better, more playable, instrument.

Sure, good tone is important, but a new guitar can help your playing plus it might be more inspiring than a new amp.

Now, TS, it all depends on what you want. Personally, I'd go for the new guitar.

I guess it's all down to whether or not you like the playability and feel of your Squier. Just go down to a store and try some guitars within your range, paired with the amp you have now. Also, try some new amps, but with your old guitar.

In the end, go for the combo you like best.

Well, the thing is, I love my Squier, even though I know it will never sound great through an amp. I've adapted to the feel of it, and I've already decided I'm never going to get rid of it, even though eventually I will get something better. My amp however, can't do much haha. The sound is pretty poor, not very good volume, no effects, etc. So, although neither are very good, I think the amp is more useless, I just wanted to see what others thought.

I then wanted to ask what they would suggest, considering my budget is $300, but wouldn't want to spend much more than $250.
Get a amp. A good amp will make a ok guitar sound good. A ok amp will make a good guitar sound ok. Go for a decent valve amp and it will sound even better when you upgrade your guitar. Your Squires good enough for a pickup upgrade.
So, since amp seems to be the consensus...what would be the best choice for my price range? Like I said above, I've been looking at the VOX AD30VT, but I'm hesitant to drop $250 on just a 30 watt guitar amp. I was also thinking about saving $50 and paying $200 for a Line 6 Spider III 30 watt amp...I know they are hated on here, but they are easy to use, it has a celestion speaker, and a lot of effects. AND, I'm not a full time guitarist, so, those 2 seem to be good fits, but maybe you all have better ideas?
30 watts is plenty loud with valves. try a laney or peavey, they do tweed clones . get something simple and add a couple of pedals. you,ll be in valve heaven. try vintage amps bullitin board. they will give you plenty of advice.
no. they are nice amps. i,ve a line 6 pod ,a v amp and a digitech rp50. i use them a lot with head phones. but i like the sound made by a pedal a lot more through my hiwatt or my boogies. i also have a little dalas arbiter valve amp (about 5 to10 watts)thats good. especially when you hook it up to a cab. but you might love the vox/line 6. try befor you buy.
A great amp can greatly improve the sound of a **** guitar. A great guitar will not improve the sound of a **** amp. Keep that in mind