Opinions! (I want them!) (all of them) (Yes, even yours) ("mine?!") (Yes, even yours)

Right, now I'm going to university in September. I'll be living in Glasgow, which will be all well and good but;

I have two choice, outlined here:

A. I stay with my brother who, at present, has a one bed room flat. He will get a two bedroom flat (quite a nice one, nicer than his flat presently and far nicers (obviously) than university halls) because I will move in and pick up say...the extra rent upon him getting this nicer flat. So, I'll be in a nicer flat, paying less money for it that I would be in Halls.

B. I go to universtiy and start living in Halls. Now, basically my only reason for choosing this is that I don't want to end up friendless at university.

A large part of this is me wanting to know, 'how much does life in halls affect your social life'. I expect i'll make friends easier simply by going out (or meeting them off my course). So I probably just want a assurances, but meh. All opinions are good.

EDIT: All replies that say anything like "It's obvious then, isn't it..." will be ignored dourly -_-
On vacation from modding = don't pm me with your pish
Halls.

Seriously I;ve heard the year or years in halls is supposed to be one of the best years of your life. Defiantly halls.
"Punk is a state of mind, and no one can take that away from you."
The Halls at Uni are pretty awesome (well some of them are), I'd personally go for halls. Better atmosphere. If you don't like the halls you can always stay with your brother though

Quote by hazzmatazz
youmakemesmile...

Quote by sebastian_96
Today I stole a girls tampons for being such an annoying bitch.

MUFC

My love for you
Is like a truck
Berserker.
According to my old biology teacher, living in the halls is pretty much the biggest part of Uni social life. Chances are you won't go on all the random drinking nights they do; but if you have your own place it will still be good.

Personally I'd like a little more privacy, but then I'm antisocial. Go for the halls if you want the stereotypical pot-noodle and beer student lifestyle.
A poll would be useless, i want reasons not numerical supremacy.
You don't have to live in the halls to not make friends..

I'm going to uni next year and im not staying in the halls. It's much cheaper for me to live at home because its probably the same distance/time to travel to uni from my house and the halls.

The halls come across as a bit scummy, like i have heard stories of peoples rooms getting raided on money/possessions etc. and sure even if you do stay with your bro. You can move out in your second year if you change your mind etc. get a house with mates
I would say the Halls. To me, it just seems like part of what university life is. It may sound great to have a proper flat at the start, but you'll miss out on all the shizzle that goes down in the first year. I would feel like I was always missing out.

Don't you have to go and live elsewhere during your second year anyway?
Quote by Teh Traineez0rz

I'm having chicken nuggets for lunch.

My Day > Yours
Halls mate.

We don't get em here in Australia unles u pay top dollar, which no one does lol

Man, if all my mates n i lived in dorms we would be ruthless partiers. We partied pretty hard in first year but hot dam it would be so awesome to sleep with a girl then walk 50 meters to go back home.

H A L L S ftw
sacrificial beaver of the laney cult

~Gear~

Schecter C-7 Hellraiser
ESP LTD F-2005
Laney VH100R *with free cab*
Roland Cube 60
Cort Acoustic
It does seem like halls would be good to start with. And if the offer was still tthere in second year, or a better one came up somewhere else...
Halls will probably be a dive, but still live there, I made 90% of my uni friends in halls. Also I'm in a different uni now and am living at home, so far on this course I've made about 2 new friends, which is ok because I'm home, but not being home and having no friends would suck.. If that makes any sense
Live in the halls
I hope it doesn't seem, like I'm young, foolish, and green.
Let me in for a minute, you're not my life but I want you in it

O Dayya, te echaré de menos, siempre

Y siempre
Y para siempre
on one hand you have meeting a ton of people that you'll see every day(good and bad thing)
on the other hand, halls can be seen as dirty, cramped, and youre surrounded by people you don't know or trust
i think you shoud live with your bro next year, i'm sure you'll make some friends, and hey, if you wanna move on from your first year's place, maybe a new friend would wanna rent out a flat with you for your second year
Living is easy with eyes closed...
--------------------------

Quote by GnR_ROK
I'm surprised you returned to this thread after cheeseman owned you.
I should also mention that I will have no friends at this university, they're all going to a different uni.
In Glasgow it's pretty standard to live in halls in 1st yr then do a 3/4 man share in a flat for the rest of your degree.

Just hope you don't have to share your room (this is why most people find a flat after 1st yr, room sharing sux).
For your first year live in the halls. You can always do the flat thing the next year and you'll have added friends.
"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
When my brother was at Uni even though he lived at home he would very rarely sleep here, he would always stay stay with his mates who lived in the halls so there has to be something good about them.
I Watched Download 07 on the internet Because I'm A poor Bastard and I'm Damn Proud!

Dave Mustaine Kill List:
Draken
WinterMadness79
Dirge Humani
MrGuitar123
RHCP94
Coins
Magnus_Maximus
I never stayed in dorms (halls) and honestly it's not a big deal. You still make friends as long as you're not a shut-in, and you don't have the inconvenience of sharing a room with somebody else.
Thus sayeth the Lord.

<//////>~
Halls.
Is it still a God Complex if I really am God?

America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between.
Oscar Wilde

Get a tent in the exact center between the Halls and the flat. It will build character, which is what college is all about. And you'll still be able to have friends, as everyone will think you're cooler for being an outdoorsman. You'll appeal to the sporty kids, because you're showing how rugged and manly you are. You'll appeal to the pot smoking hippies, because they'll think you're at one with nature. You'll appeal to the nerdy guys, because you'll be an outcast just like them. And you'll appeal to the girls because you have your own place, and show responsibility. It's the only solution. (Well, you asked for my opinion.)
Quote by vintage x metal
I love you =] I can't say I was very fond of you when we first started talking because you trolled the hell out of my threads, but after talking to you here I've grown very attached to you.

Yeah, write to my fanclub about it, honey.
^Everyone except your opinion, I should have specified in my thread title

EDIT: To meths
Quote by meh!
^Everyone except your opinion, I should have specified in my thread title

EDIT: To meths

It's ok Meths, I still love you...in a totally non-prison way.
Thus sayeth the Lord.

<//////>~
I would have to say go with halls the first year simply so that you could meet new people and thus have friends at that university. Then you can move in with your brother next year.

I know what your going through though man because i not only have to pick between halls and an apartment, but whichever one i pick also has an effect on where i go to college. (halls= 4 year uni., and apartment= 2 year community college).

Hmm, i think i'm leaning towards halls at the moment.

CHEERS!
Quote by musicianamedave

It's ok Meths, I still love you...in a totally non-prison way.

I love him in a prison way.
*bashes Meths teeth in with a crowbar so he can give me head without biting*
"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
Quote by meh!
A. I stay with my brother who, at present, has a one bed room flat. He will get a two bedroom flat (quite a nice one, nicer than his flat presently and far nicers (obviously) than university halls) because I will move in and pick up say...the extra rent upon him getting this nicer flat. So, I'll be in a nicer flat, paying less money for it that I would be in Halls.
Could be tricky, this one. How well do you think you and your brother will get along if you share a place? He might have very different expectations on how things go, than you do. Saving money is important. It means more that you have to spend for beer and broads. You'll have more privacy, than in the hall, so getting laid might be easier.

But you can probably forget about throwing parties there.

Quote by meh!
B. I go to universtiy and start living in Halls. Now, basically my only reason for choosing this is that I don't want to end up friendless at university.
How good are you at making friends? If you hang with friends from classes, you can still visit the halls and make more friends there. If you get so pissed that you can't make it back to your flat, you won't have a bed in the halls if you don't live there, but passing out on someone's floor won't kill you. Certainly, you would be more immersed in the camaraderie if you lived there.

Not knowing all the details, it almost seems like a coin-flip on this one.
It really depends on your social skills and your relationship with your brother.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
yeah getting along with my brothers fine.

I'm not awesome at making friends though, i've always had friends...but it took a while to get them and be comfortable with them. meh not sure. have to think more.