I was wondering what everyone thought would be the best pickup combo for playing hard rock and metal, with the possibility of blues thrown in there, and some other types of music that would be played clean.

The two main ideas I was torn between were a pair of SD Blackouts (or at least one in the bridge + something else in the neck) a JB/Jazz combo. Obviously the JB/Jazz have the advantage of being able to do those cleans like I mentioned, but there's something about those Blackouts (and EMGs) that I just feel really drawn to.

It should probably be mentioned that these are going into a Schecter Tempest custom, too. Granted, I could probably save the Blackouts for a different guitar specifically used for metal, but as it stands, that's a guitar I do not have

As a whole, I really like Seymour Duncans, but I don't really know all THAT much, so I'm willing to try different things.

Any help is much appreciated
Well, I haven't been able to play any guitars with them actually in, if that's what you mean

but I've heard what they sound like.

Obviously those two options are very different, but that's part of my problem in trying to decide.

I would also be willing to go with something from EMG if those are better than Blackouts.

Why do you ask?
Last edited by Delanoir at Mar 5, 2008,
Quote by Delanoir
Well, I haven't been able to play any guitars with them actually in, if that's what you mean

but I've heard what they sound like.

Obviously those two options are very different, but that's part of my problem in trying to decide.

I would also be willing to go with something from EMG if those are better than Blackouts.

Why do you ask?

emgs sound terrible...dont get an active set of pickups...it kills your guitars tone...go passive please
Quote by Jack Off Jill
Better than hooked on crack, I suppose. I'd rather know my kids are safe at home beating their meat than out in the world robbing old women for their crack fix.

Quote by *sigh*
What a huge coincidence. I have a butthole also.
If you like actives, go for the d-activators from dimarzio. No batteries and they sound better.
heres what I would put in MY guitar (I did this to my Aria MAC 50 i bought DIRT cheap off ebay) (Its SSH)

Neck- Cool Rail SD
Middle - Vintage Rail SD
Bridge- MotherBucker (kent Armstrong 4 bladed passive humbucker

It gives me enough to really distort and heavy playing (The Motherbucker gives 27.5 K immpedience)
It also can give me a nice clean sound out of the Vintage Rail, as well as a nice rounded tone from the Neck
Thanks for the ideas guys,

and its good to know that active pickups can kill the natural tone of the guitar.

Anyone have experience with either (or both) the Seymour Duncan Jazz or JB?
Go active for hi gain music like metal but passive for cleans.
Ibanez RG1570
B.C. Rich KKV
Jackson RR3
Jackson RR5
Ibanez S320
Ibanez S520EX
Vox AD50VT-XL
Dunlop Zakk Wylde Wah
Marshall 2203KK
Marshall 1960A 4x12 Cab
Boss ML-2 Metalcore
Coffin Case Blooddrive
Quote by strings-N-stuff
Cookie Cutter Metal = EMGs

Fixed it for you!

Back to the original poster the JB/Jazz combination would probably cover the most bases.
I see Mother Nature equipped you for a battle of wits in the same way she equipped cows for supersonic flight.
Quote by BigBaldIan
Fixed it for you!

Back to the original poster the JB/Jazz combination would probably cover the most bases.

Much appreciated

I think that's what I'm going to do, and save the active pickups for my next guitar. That way I can utilize the strengths of the schecter, and use it for more varied styles of the hard rock and blues. My next guitar will probably be a Jackson RR24, so if they don't already come with a good EMG or Blackout, I'll put one in that.

As for a 59/JB vs. Jazz/JB, I tend to get suggested the latter combo 99% of the time.
For pickups that will cover hard rock, metal and blues equally well you probably want a pair of Dimarzio Breeds - you certainly don't want the JB/Jazz combo. If you were going Duncan then a Custom 5/59 set would probably be better.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
For pickups that will cover hard rock, metal and blues equally well you probably want a pair of Dimarzio Breeds - you certainly don't want the JB/Jazz combo. If you were going Duncan then a Custom 5/59 set would probably be better.

A good DiMarzio choice but I disagree with your JB/Jazz comment. May I ask what makes you prefer the Custom 5/59 combo?

Edit: Hang on let's just rewind that a second, can I get some clarification from the original poster. A RR24 was mentioned which is a single humbucker design. Is this the plan for a metal guitar after you've done the pickup swap on the current one??????

Edit II: Scratch that just seen the original post these are going in a Schecter I'm being a moron.
I see Mother Nature equipped you for a battle of wits in the same way she equipped cows for supersonic flight.
Last edited by BigBaldIan at Mar 6, 2008,
Quote by BigBaldIan
A good DiMarzio choice but I disagree with your JB/Jazz comment. May I ask what makes you prefer the Custom 5/59 combo?

Edit: Hang on let's just rewind that a second, can I get some clarification from the original poster. A RR24 was mentioned which is a single humbucker design. Is this the plan for a metal guitar after you've done the pickup swap on the current one??????

Edit II: Scratch that just seen the original post these are going in a Schecter I'm being a moron.

No worries

I'm intrigued by that too, though. I've never played anything with DiMarzio's but I've heard good things, and I wonder what makes him say the 5/59 over the JB/Jazz.

How do the SD's compare with DiMarzio? At least with these aforementioned combos.
For me the JB is more aimed at shred and lead playing - it's really hot and too treble heavy to me, a bit lacking in balls. The Custom 5 has a more balanced tone and handles rhythm and lead equally well and also copes with lower gain sounds better. The Jazz is a great complement to the JB if you want clarity, again good for shredding, but the 59 is a better all-rounder if you want versatility and a bit more character in your tone.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
For me the JB is more aimed at shred and lead playing - it's really hot and too treble heavy to me, a bit lacking in balls. The Custom 5 has a more balanced tone and handles rhythm and lead equally well and also copes with lower gain sounds better. The Jazz is a great complement to the JB if you want clarity, again good for shredding, but the 59 is a better all-rounder if you want versatility and a bit more character in your tone.

However the counter-argument to the hot and treble heaviness is that a weighty mahogony body will have a tendency to mellow that somewhat. The corollary is using an EMG 81 in the bridge of a basswood or alder bodies guitar which is likewise (to my ears at least) trebly.

Although I admit the Custom 5/59 would probably be a better hard rock combination.
I would suggest the Duncans for you, based on what you said in the first post. Personally, I'm an active-pickup. fan, but not everyone likes the same thing.
"Music is an expression. Not competition." ~ Woe, Is Me

Guitar
ESP LTD Viper 400

Amp
Orange Crush 35LDX
Well, the Schecter guitar in question does in fact have a mahogany body. So it would hypothetically compensate for that particularly high treble.

Though, if the JB/Jazz is more shred-oriented, and what I want is more versatility and character, as well as edging more on hard rock... I may go with Steven and pick up a 5/59 combo.

I'll save the optimal shredding specs for my next guitar, which hopefully won't be too far away.

Thanks for all the help