i kinda wanted to see how i stack up to other guitarists and bassists

ive only been playin for around 6 mo. and i wanna see if im improving or not

ummm i guess leave a description of how 'good' you were around this time if you can recall

uhh my best song right now would be F.C.P.R.E.M.I.X. by the fall of troy, all the way thru
ADD

Check out my self-recorded demos on my profile!!! C4C

Separation is an illusion.
Last edited by george8392 at Mar 5, 2008,
ive been playing for 8 months, and i some of the hardest things i can play are master of puppets, black dog, and the comfortably numb solos. i also know a lot of theory.
Dude, after three years, you expect me to remember?

Well, I guess I can give you a guideline.

I was pretty much playing punk.. like green day punk. With the three powerchord per song kinda thing. And I could own the hell out of that.
"We barely remember who or what came before this precious moment"

Tool, anyone?
Alter Bridge, maybe?
A bit of John Mayer?
Some beethoven sounds delightful, as well.
You know, I could play Michael Angelo Batio songs with my pinky toes, no big deal.

In all seriousness, by 6 months I hadn't really "gotten into" my playing yet but could still push my way through most Zeppelin songs (doing rhythm, not lead) and the like.
^^ same exactly
Quote by Broadsword
I posted this in the last one, but yeah, some old dude in a McDonalds in Alabama called me an aardvark.

Quote by Pedalboard
Dude, after three years, you expect me to remember?

Well, I guess I can give you a guideline.

I was pretty much playing punk.. like green day punk.

Wow.... fail on a huge degree
"Punk is a state of mind, and no one can take that away from you."
i was playing stuff like Atwa by system of a down and failing. I could sorta play master of puppets and some of the fist solo in it. erm....i can't really remember. Simple stuff really. I've only been playing for about 20 months, so i should really remember, but y'know how it is.
oh my god uh, i was actually getting into how to solo and stuff but the hardest song i could play was master of puppetts with the solo and all that crap. this was at 6 months maybe 8 months around that time basically
Quote by The Spoon
Unless you're sure she likes you, telling her you like her has a 110% chance of failing.

But hey, at least you have a 10% chance of absolutely guaranteeing failure.
Quote by hippiecrack69
ive been playing for 8 months, and i some of the hardest things i can play are master of puppets, black dog, and the comfortably numb solos. i also know a lot of theory.

Bs. You probably just memorized the tab for MOP solo.

At 6 months I was playing stuff from Alice in Chains.
i've been playing for 2 days. i can play eruption. haha jk.

at 6 months i could play a lot of ac/dc songs. but around there prol the hardest thing i could play was the solo to fade to black. what are some of your achievments?
Gear:
Epiphone SG Vintage
Digitech RP 100A
Kustom Quad 100 DFX
Washburn D10S Deluxe (electric acoustic)
Hardest song I could play by then was probably Silent Night, Bodom Night by Children of Bodom. Only rhythm ofc.
Comfortably numb after 8 months??!?!!

Anyways, 6 months, I was still just strumming open chords and playing simple melodies. Actually, I think I managed to learn Apache by the Shadows at around six months. Damn fine song.
Well within 6 months I could play thrash rhythms perfectly, but since then i've just stopped getting better - self taught for nearly two and a half years now and I've spent one year trying to learn lead, but to no avail
After 3 years of playing only thing I can recall is: "I was pathetic". Chill out man, it's not a race. And remember that your skills can only be measured by people who are REALLY much, much better than you, and only after they'll hear you playing. I you happen to read a comment like: "I play since 6 months, I can nail pink floyd solos" ... well in 90% of cases it's just bullsh*t.
My Rig:

+Epiphone AJ100 acoustic
+Fender 60th. Anniversary Stratocaster
+Vox AD30VT
+Vox V847a Wah

look all i wanted was for someone to give me advice on what to do not to slag me off ok

Want advice? Suck yourself off.
I've also been playing guitar about 6 months, and I've no idea what the hardest thing I can play is...
it seems sort of odd how good most people on this site are with less than a year of experience. Seems nothing like what I've seen in real life.
Gear: Framus Cobra - Homemade Warmoth guitar - Ibanez S470 - Alvarez acoustic
I can't really remember. I can only guess I was learning Foo Fighters, Chilis and Metallica, seeing as they were my fav bands at the time. I know I learnt the trooper and enter sandman shortly after.
TRANSFORMICE

Quote by chris_kedro
it seems sort of odd how good most people on this site are with less than a year of experience. Seems nothing like what I've seen in real life.

Its all relative - some people can pick it up straiught away, others will struggle more with it.

i might be able to play metal, but I dunno chords and scales for $hit
Quote by chris_kedro

That's the joy of the internet- total anonymity
I've been playing for two years, the hardest song I can play is YYZ by Rush, which sounds hard, but it's not really too hard. I can alternate pick well, I know a bit of music theory and have quite a wide scale knowledge. I can also tap to an extent.

Take your time. Perfect your skills instead of rushing them, or you'll just end up playing badly.
Ive been playing for around 6 months and can play some raining blood (except the solo and some guitar rifts).
Nighty Night keep your butthole tight
Quote by AlexiSinergy
I heard my mom talking to her friend about going to a ****ing dildo party!
Well I couldn't play comfortably numb solo's.. Thats for damned sure. I've been playing for about 5 or 6 years? Umm way backkkkk in the day. I remember I would practice more then I do now. I would play like 4 hours a day.. I'm down to about an hour a day. But yeah.. Mostly Metallica stuff., surprise surprise. Fade to Black solo probably. Few decent riffs. Its not like now. I would actually have to sit there and learn it. I can basicaly pick up anything by ear now.
I always hear improper bends, timing, etc... when someone has it DOWN, and hasn't been playing too long.
Gear: Framus Cobra - Homemade Warmoth guitar - Ibanez S470 - Alvarez acoustic
6 months?
i still had an acoustic...so not much
but i learned the paranoid solo
for hippiecrack69:

master of puppets...can you play it all? i can only play like the intro, verse and chorus, and some of the first solo
ADD

Check out my self-recorded demos on my profile!!! C4C

Separation is an illusion.
Quote by SkAsupafly
nofx, nirvana, smashmouth.
and some classic rock.

Finally an honest answer, personally at 6 months i could play basic power chord songs and simple solos, I'm still not particularly amazing (played for nearly 4 years now) but i can get by. All these people who could 'zomg shred liek Yngwie Malmsteen!!111!!' are just talking bull crap
Quote by Survivalism
Your parents go ass-to-mouth and then kiss you.

The truth can be a horrific thing some times
crappy renditions of metallica songs, Rage Against the Machine Songs, Nirvana (big duh), Californication, can't stop, and Iron Man.

That was pretty much me at 6 months. I suck'd lol. Still do.
My Gear:

Schecter Gryphon Ruby Red

Dunlop Original Crybaby
Jekyll and Hyde Ultimate Overdrive

Laney LC50
Vox AD15VT Valvetronix

My Youtube Channel, check it out!
http://www.youtube.com/user/SSnake77
I've been playing for about 8 months now and heres what i can play:
Three Days Grace- I hate everything about you, and Just like you
Breaking Benjamin- Polyamorous
SOAD- ATWA and Kill rock n roll
CKY- Sink into the Underground, Shippensburg, and Escape From hellview

I can't tremelo pick, so i obviously can play the end of kill rock n roll right, but i get by on it. It doesn't really seem like a lot of songs for 8 months but I tend to start to learn a song and move on to something else without learning the whole thing. I started to learn Lay Down by Priestess and got everything but the solo, and just stopped. It pisses me off that i do that.
Listen to CKY.