Page 1 of 2
Hey guys, I need some help. I accidentally put my automatic car in parking gear while driving about 10 miles an hour, and it made this horrible grinding sound. I got worried that something might have gotten damaged. Did anything get damaged?
Line 6 Spider III 150 watt
Ibanez S520ex
Fender MIM (Mexican) HSS Stratocaster
Vox Valvetronix AD15vt amp
Digitech Death Metal Distortion

A Marshall Vintage Modern or Mesa Boogie F-30 will be my reward when I finish college
I doubt it aslong as you didnt leave it in park and carry on driving, it's just the cogs grinding a bit
yes, your car is now ruined completely, and taking the car to a mechanic will definately NOT help
I dunno, probably your parking brake.

I'd get it checked out.

To test it, put your car in Park while stopped on hill. If your car rolls away, your parking brake is ****ed.

I've driven like 100 feet with my E-brake on and nothing happened though.

I don't know.
Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens.

When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace.

-Jimi Hendrix-

Quote by CodySG
You know you're in the drug thread when you see pictures of squash and "tuna nigga!" when you click the page.
Your manliness got damaged when you got an automatic transmission car
Drive me home Jeeves
You could have broken a pin in your transmission, but if your park and all your gears still work you're fine, which you probably will be. Generally a car can take that kinda damage a couple times before causing serious damage.

But your car is either old or really ****ty, because you shouldn't be able to put your car in park without your foot pressing the break all the way down.
Electrolytes Smell Like Semen...
Quote by andyscoot
yes, your car is now ruined completely, and taking the car to a mechanic will definately NOT help

ahaha
Quote by dudetheman
I dunno, probably your parking brake.

I'd get it checked out.

To test it, put your car in Park while stopped on hill. If your car rolls away, your parking brake is ****ed.

I've driven like 100 feet with my E-brake on and nothing happened though.

I don't know.

06' ers.
[Sig goes here]
yeah i did that too once on accident. i pressed the brake and put it into park before i came to a complete stop. didnt seem to do anything tho
Bring it up to 20 and throw it into reverse to fix it.
My style is impetuous.
My defense is impregnable, and I'm just ferocious.
I want your heart.
I want to eat your children.

-Mike Tyson
well, i think that you should try to drive still, if it still drives fine, i wouldn't worry about it
Quote by GarlicBread
Yep. Head down to the DMV, and turn in your penis.
Maybe.

You might have damaged the parking pawl. That's a lever that fits into grooves on the outside of the last planetary of your transmission. You'll know, if you put you car in park on a hill, and it doesn't hold.

The only other possible damage would be if any grindings get carried in the transmission fluid into the valve body. That would prevent the transmission from shifting normally.

Even if you snapped off the end of the parking pawl, or ruined the notches in the outside of the planetary, it won't affect other functions of the transmission operation.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Quote by GarlicBread

Verrry true, sir Get a manual. Automatics are glorified dodgems. The automotive equivalent of the Gibson SG (Small Genitalia).
Quote by carlsbad
06' ers.

We're not going to start this again, are we?

I can remember when I joined UG, and it seemed like everybody had "*HATES SEPT. 06ERS*" in their sigs.
I felt like such an outcast.

TS, I doubt there's too much damage, but if it feels like there's something wrong, take it to a professional to get it checked out.
Thats bad, let me tell you that. Shifting the car into park while moving can ruin your transmission. Does the car run fine, no noises comming from the transmission when it shifts or anything. Find a hill and park it on it, don't put the e-brake on, just park. If it rolls, then something is wrong, if not then it is most likely fine, just next time wait until you have come to a complete stop before putting the car into park. Ive heard of and seen many cars that have had that done to it and the car rolls in park. There is only a small pin that is preventing the gears from moving and it can break pretty easily. Eventhough that little pin costs only a couple of cents it will cost a whole lot more to rip appart your transmission and fix it.
Quote by carlsbad
06' ers.

Hey!

It wasn't my fault!!! I forgot about the parking brake!

Yes, it was my fault actually....

Quote by C O B H C

I can remember when I joined UG, and it seemed like everybody had "*HATES SEPT. 06ERS*" in their sigs.

TS, I doubt there's too much damage, but if it feels like there's something wrong, take it to a professional to get it checked out.

+1

I remember that.

It's been two years! We're almost veterans of the Pit now!

When will you 05ers learn to accept us?

-Jimi Hendrix-

Quote by CodySG
You know you're in the drug thread when you see pictures of squash and "tuna nigga!" when you click the page.
Quote by andyscoot
nevar

-Jimi Hendrix-

Quote by CodySG
more than likely you havent done anything to it. the mechanisms in the gearbox just grinded (is that even a word lol) you prolly just reduced the life of the gear transmission thats all.
Quote by C O B H C

I still hate Sept 06'ers

Quote by IlikeTheSKA
Bring it up to 20 and throw it into reverse to fix it.

this is foolish enough it might just work.....
Quote by nebraskan
Sometimes my penis stands up so I rub it and then he gets sick from the rubbing (probably an upset tummy) and throws up ... ...
Quote by metaldud536
Im 18 and ive never had a wet dream. is that normal?
Quote by Våd Hamster
I used to think that girls only had 2 holes

^sex?
you could have damaged your transmission, I'd have it looked at. Having your transmission blow while on the highway because you did something stupid and didn't get it checked really sucks.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
I'd have a quick look at your gearbox; some of your gears may be lying in the road.
And why did you put it into park while you were driving num-nuts!?!? Tut, this is the disadvantage of not being able to drive a manual gearbox. When will you learn.
And what is an e-brake??
I hope it doesn't seem, like I'm young, foolish, and green.
Let me in for a minute, you're not my life but I want you in it

O Dayya, te echaré de menos, siempre

Y siempre
Y para siempre
Last edited by BlackLuster at Mar 5, 2008,
Quote by BlackLuster
I'd have a quick look at your gearbox; some of your gears may be lying in the road.
And why did you put it into park while you were driving num-nuts!?!? Tut, this is the disadvantage of not being able to drive a manual gearbox. When will you learn.
And what is an e-brake??

the emergency break. aka the lever thingy you pull up when you put your car in park.
Quote by nebraskan
Sometimes my penis stands up so I rub it and then he gets sick from the rubbing (probably an upset tummy) and throws up ... ...
Quote by metaldud536
Quote by Våd Hamster

^sex?
Quote by NutZz?
the emergency break. aka the lever thingy you pull up when you put your car in park.

The handbrake?

Y siempre
Y para siempre
Quote by BlackLuster
The handbrake?

yep. some call it the e-break instead, its the same thing
Quote by nebraskan
Quote by metaldud536
Quote by Våd Hamster

^sex?
Quote by BlackLuster
And what is an e-brake??

The security lever that when pulled, stops the interweb.
Schecter Loomis
LTD Horizon
Ibanez RGA121
Marshall DSL100
Peavey 5150

Quote by emagdnimasisiht
haha
This is the funniest thing i've ever read on UG.
lespaulrocks39, you sir are awesome.
Quote by lespaulrocks39
The security lever that when pulled, stops the interweb.

Quote by NutZz?
yep. some call it the e-break instead, its the same thing

Thanks
Although I've always wondered why it's called an "emergency brake", but I'm not going to go into that now.

Y siempre
Y para siempre
ur car has teh aids
Bands I've Seen:
Ozzy Osbourne
Rob Zombie
In This Moment
Age of Daze
Blue October
Inward Eye
Thornley
Billy Talent
Rise Against
Rancid
Anvil
Theory of a Deadman
Shinedown
Pop Evil
Blink 182
All-American Rejects
Fallout Boy
I've gone 80 without taking the e-brake off before... my car still works fine.

Quote by BlackLuster

Thanks
Although I've always wondered why it's called an "emergency brake", but I'm not going to go into that now.

It can a.) hold your car in place better on an incline than just putting it in park and b.) it WILL stop you much quicker. But generally out of control in a skid, so you use it for emergency purposes only and never in the snow.
i*[∂/∂t]*Ψt = -[∇^2]/2*(Ψt) (unitless form)

Almost as convenient as Wikipedia, but infinitely more hipster, Dover.
Last edited by hethamulburton at Mar 5, 2008,
Quote by hethamulburton
I've gone 80 without taking the e-brake off before... my car still works fine.

It can a.) hold your car in place better on an incline than just putting it in park and b.) it WILL stop you much quicker. But generally out of control in a skid, so you use it for emergency purposes only and never in the snow.

Lol thanks but I know what a handbrake is, all I don't get is why it's called an e-brake, and I don't really understand automatics all that well too.
If the thing is in PARK, what is happening?

Y siempre
Y para siempre
Quote by GarlicBread
+1

manual FTW
Quote by Stephen Colbert
Ignorance is bliss. Oedipus ruined a great sex life by asking too many questions.
Quote by Jack Off Jill
Is it odd that I get an erection every time RageAgainst... posts?

President of "Colbert Nation "
Quote by GarlicBread

And still couldnt drive it
Beauty Supreme

Yeah you were right about me
Quote by RageAgainst...
+1

manual FTW

Yeah man. *high five*

Y siempre
Y para siempre
Quote by Uncle Fonzie
Your car got AIDs

You're about 6 AIDs too late.
i*[∂/∂t]*Ψt = -[∇^2]/2*(Ψt) (unitless form)

Almost as convenient as Wikipedia, but infinitely more hipster, Dover.
Page 1 of 2