Just looking for info/resources on the environment you should keep your axes in. I know humidity and teperature are huge factors. Anything else, like keeping them at sea-level or anything strange?

If you collect guitars, how do you keep your gear preserved and looking/playing it's best?
well i guess to keep them in their cases all the time ? if you wanna look at them then maybe invest in some glass casings for a wall ? other than that alot of TLC and great care when handling them
Remove some but not all of the tension from the strings, clean & polish the guitar, and then put a little lemon oil on the fret board. Put the guitar in its case and store it where it won't get too warm, cold, or humid and won't get bumped around. A good place is an interior closet.
Quote by JohnnyV
Just looking for info/resources on the environment you should keep your axes in. I know humidity and teperature are huge factors. Anything else, like keeping them at sea-level or anything strange?

If you collect guitars, how do you keep your gear preserved and looking/playing it's best?

Most guitar collecters (those doing it as an investment) tend to keep their guitars in their cases most of the time.

Ideally, you'd want them to experience as little temperature changes as possible.

On top of that, don't expose them to UV light too much, as it can damage/change the finish. High humidity levels, aren't great either.
You've read it, you can't un-read it!
I've never heard of the UV light thing before, but that's an interesting tip, considering my jam space HAS UV lights in it...

Of course, they're only on when we're jamming.
Keep guitar in its case at all times when not in your hands.
Keep all metal parts clean and use a metal polish to prevent corrosion and rust.
Use a high quality(no silicone) guitar polish.
Tune guitar to standard tuning. The truss rod is designed to counteract string tension, and if you loosen the strings, you may get a bowed neck. Check with your local qualified guitar tech on this one.
Keep temperature changes to a minimum. Don't store in an attic or basement.
Store your guitar in a place that a newborn baby would be comfortable!!!!
1966 Harmony H-14 Bobkat
1974 Ibanez Les Paul Custom 2350
1980 Ibanez BL-300NT Blazer
1987 Fender Stratocaster 72' RI Pink Paisley
1990 Fender HM Strat
1996 Fender Stratocaster Fat Strat
1998 Epiphone Sheraton II
Quote by JohnnyV
I've never heard of the UV light thing before, but that's an interesting tip, considering my jam space HAS UV lights in it...

Of course, they're only on when we're jamming.

UV Radiation has a tendency to fade just about every type of pigment or dye, some worse than others. cover part of one of your gutiars with somehting like a pickguard or tape and over time, when you pull it off, you'll see that the parts tht were directly exposed will have faded more (tan lines).

Also, if you're constantly around UV lights in your practice space and you are there a lot, UV is really not great for your skin or eyes either in concentrated doses.