Page 1 of 2
this probably isnt the right forum for this but w/e..

is it just me or does dragonforce completely suck ass playing live?
they completely suck ass all together
Gear:
Jackson DKMG
Yamaha Acoustic
Knockoff Strat
Vox AD30VT
Boss MT-2
Crybaby wah
Boss DD-3

The Ultra Balls. Throw them.

Member of the ANTI-IBANEZ MILITIA!
That they do.. The issue is they can't play there songs live with out horribly messing up due to the speed and complecity of there music... Thus the reason some of the greatest bands and live shows are the bands that took the simple approach to song writing... And why you hear alot of people say man they sound better live then on cd...
no they suck live its true, i like there music (not for herman and sam but for dave and vadim) but they really do suck ass live...
Gear:
Epiphone Viola Bass
Gibson SG Standard
Fender Strat
Fender Acoustic
Line 6 Spider 2 150 watt
Line 6 POD Xt Live
Ibanez Ts-9 Tubescreamer
dude dragonforce's songs are so fast even herman li cant play em...
Quote by aig91
"It doesn't get much beter than that! Ok, maybe a free ibanez guitar and marshall half-stack in perfect condition would be better, but free pancakes comes right behind that"

Quote by neptune1988
"My tone should be like me........FAT! "
Quote by DinkyDude

YAY FOR BEING RIGHT
i hate that band, playing fast doesn't mean you're good
Gear:
Jackson DKMG Dinky (EMG 81/85)
Ibanez GIO (i put a Dimbucker in the bridge)
Crate GT65 (65 watts) to be upgraded soon, suggestions welcome (must be tubed)
Floor Pod (for sale)
lol
It s all true

It's becasue they play the songs slowerin the studio and speed it up.
Main Rigs
Guitars
Thineline tele with SD lil '59

Ibanez Artcore AM-73

Line 6 Variax 500

Effects

Line 6 X3 live
Digitech RP-500
Ibanez Weeping Demon

Amps
Roland JC-120
Rocktron VT-60
Quote by ChaoticVengence
YAY FOR BEING RIGHT

playing slow doesn't mean you're good either

Quote by teknotard
lol
It s all true

evidence for this?

I don't hate dragonforce, I just hate the fans.
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
I try to avoid the noise they make that they like to call "music".
Last edited by Guitarfreak777 at Mar 5, 2008,
Quote by teknotard
lol
It s all true

Speeding up a recorded track increases the frequency of the vibrations, raising the pitch.

They can play their songs properly...once in a blue moon.
Click for charity.

Pidgeot of the Pokemon Club
PM Calebrocker to join.

92% of UGers jump on annoying bandwagons. Don't put this in your sig if you're one of the 8% with an opinion.
Thats not true they play it at full speed in the studio. Its just they don't play the whole song at once and try to master parts of the song put it all together and it sounds not going to say good but right.

Live it is too fast for them to get it right on all the time plus their studio effects are better versus just the pedals they use on stage.

I also want to add that it is easier to improvise and add effects to slow songs versus fast songs.

Whats easier to improvise on the star spangled banner (jimmi hendrix) or TTFAF... exactly.
Last edited by MetalMario at Mar 5, 2008,
Quote by MetalMario
Thats not true they play it at full speed in the studio. Its just they don't play the whole song at once and try to master parts of the song put it all together and it sounds not going to say good but right.

Live it is too fast for them to get it right on all the time plus their studio effects are better versus just the pedals they use on stage.

+1

as much as I hate dragonforce fanboys I hate people who go round spouting 'common knowledge' even more.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
I said common knowledge stuff but some of the people here did not know this. Not everyone here is a guru.
Quote by MetalMario
I said common knowledge stuff but some of the people here did not know this. Not everyone here is a guru.

when DF first came to the attention of... well... everyone, there was the 'oh they speed it up' comments all over the place and I remember seeing one person (on some other forum, can't remember the name) get sick of it and ask how they knew this and if they had any evidence. The first poster replied 'oh it's common knowledge, everybody know's that they speed it up'

that was the 'common knowledge' that I was getting at.

Quote by element4433
Quote by DinkyDude

+111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111000000000000000000000000000000000000000000
Hello
Can we please Stop making Threads over Dragonforce? if you dont like them then just Shut up about it. Quite frankly A lot of people on this Forum dont Want to hear whether you like DragonForce, nor do they Care.
Quote by IbanezPsycho
That they do.. The issue is they can't play there songs live with out horribly messing up due to the speed and complecity of there music... Thus the reason some of the greatest bands and live shows are the bands that took the simple approach to song writing... And why you hear alot of people say man they sound better live then on cd...

Uhhh, have you ever heard Rhodes play live? Fast, spot on, complex and awesome. Dragonforce is exactly what is wrong with music now in some ways, not entirely though. Going from one extreme to the other. There was nothing wrong with early 80's metal bands. Sure they almost all sold out later on but then came the early 90s and it was totally opposite of that and now you got all these Technical-Melodic-Death-Thrash-Assassination-Metal-Core groups lol its like its a competition to see who can play the most technical and fastest riffs until its not even muscial. Just look at some of the mentalities here on UG too. Look at early metal songs, Powerchords in quite a lot of them....ZOMG!!!! Then a kick ass solo. Nothing wrong with that.
2003 Music Man Axis Pacific Blue Burst
They are all about speed. Their music sucks, it's lifeless and uninspired. They appeal to the new generation of teenagers who think faster = better

Any new aspiring guitarist reading this, do not use dragonforce as your role model, you will suck
Quote by DSOTM80
Uhhh, have you ever heard Rhodes play live? Fast, spot on, complex and awesome. Dragonforce is exactly what is wrong with music now in some ways, not entirely though. Going from one extreme to the other. There was nothing wrong with early 80's metal bands. Sure they almost all sold out later on but then came the early 90s and it was totally opposite of that and now you got all these Technical-Melodic-Death-Thrash-Assassination-Metal-Core groups lol its like its a competition to see who can play the most technical and fastest riffs until its not even muscial. Just look at some of the mentalities here on UG too. Look at early metal songs, Powerchords in quite a lot of them....ZOMG!!!! Then a kick ass solo. Nothing wrong with that.

Are you talking about Randy Rhoads?
Be cool.
I think everyone's being a bit harsh lol, even Dragonforce don't take themselves to seriously (they call themselves extreme power metal haha) and they're not out there to revolutionize the face of rock or be super funky or anything, imo they're fun(ny) to listen to and they do it well.
Quote by Haha, Crackhead

Speeding up a recorded track increases the frequency of the vibrations, raising the pitch.
There're plenty of algorithms (ie Elastique) that let you change pitch without changing speed and vice versa.
I think everyone assumes they're ****ty because they've seen their **** performance at Graspop, and mostly because people just say that talking out of their asses.

I've seen videos of them playing their songs at full speed and doing a fine job, and I know guitarists that are into Dream theater and Satriani, and have seen Dragonforce live and said they were great.

I'm not a big Dragonforce band, but they get a lot of **** for really no reason imo.
Quote by lylewithans182
I'm not a big Dragonforce band, but they get a lot of **** for really no reason imo.

? :P
Talk about beating a dead horse.

TS, you're to late by a year and a half...

Quote by lylewithans182
I think everyone assumes they're ****ty because they've seen their **** performance at Graspop, and mostly because people just say that talking out of their asses.

I've seen videos of them playing their songs at full speed and doing a fine job, and I know guitarists that are into Dream theater and Satriani, and have seen Dragonforce live and said they were great.

Super Correct.

They're a decent, fun power metal band, that can play better than most who bitch about them. Leave it alone.
I'm back, you douchebags.
I agree with that one guy saying that sometimes in concert they sound better than other times. Sometimes they sound spot on sometimes not. And their stuff isn't that hard to play but when you combine that speed for long songs with all of the songs sounding the same with all being similar you can get tired out and start playing sloppy.
Quote by MetalMario
I agree with that one guy saying that sometimes in concert they sound better than other times. Sometimes they sound spot on sometimes not. And their stuff isn't that hard to play but when you combine that speed for long songs with all of the songs sounding the same with all being similar you can get tired out and start playing sloppy.

Hell I Get Tired/Confused just Playing Rythm along with Through the Fire and Flames! i cant imagine the Lead Work.
Quote by ChaoticVengence
YAY FOR BEING RIGHT

EXACTLY!!
it seems the only people who think dragonfroce's guitars are awesome are the ppl who dont play or just started
Amazing band, amazing music, it's a bit repetitive and a lot of the songs are similar, but I'd rather have 10 amazing songs that are almost the same than 10 different songs and only one that really "gets it"

But yes, they suck live.
Even Herman Li admits it.

He told Activision that they should have a cheat code for Guitar Hero 3 called the "Dragonforce Live cheat" that allows you to make more mistakes. I swear, he actually said that! It's somewhere on youtube.
Gear:
-Ibanez S470 DXQM (Blue)
-Roland Cube 30X
Quote by _BucketHead_
They appeal to the new generation of teenagers who think faster = better

haha, I have a friend that thinks they're better than Hendrix.

That's not a joke by the way.
I think there is a lot of people that talk **** on Dragonforce just because everyone else does it. Just as there is a bandwagon for people who think speed=skill(even though good technical playing does equal skill), there seems to be even more of a bandwagon for people who think Dragonforce sucks.

I personally think they are a good band(They do it for the fun of it and aren't too serious about what they do, they know and admit to their faults), but i wouldn't consider myself a fan. Yet i will admit that i hate how anyone can create something and release to the world, yet not be able to play it; ie their studio recordings to their live playing. However, i have seen videos of them playing perfectly live.

And as far as how everyone thinks dragonforce is the best(it was a few posts ago someone said that) its probably not because they honostly think they are the best, but probably because they have heard any other artists in the same genres. I'm sure if they hear Gilbert, he'd be their new favorite.

I guess im trying to say Dragonforce is just a band people are taking too seriously for how serious they take themselves. They aren't the greatest thing in music, but they aren't the worst either. If only they could play live like their studio recordings.
They are all about speed. Their music sucks, it's lifeless and uninspired. They appeal to the new generation of teenagers who think faster = better

Any new aspiring guitarist reading this, do not use dragonforce as your role model, you will suck

^^^ thats the exct reason why i listen to classic rock...their techniques are much better for a new guitarist to start out bu that say dragonforce or slipknot. the equation iguess for music these days are insane distortion+speed= good music...
MY GEAR!
Fender Starcaster
Epiphone SG Custom Shop LE
Vox AD15VT
Dunlop Dimebag Crybaby from Hell

Kirk Hammett = my half filipino metal idol :P
Quote by Mockingbird452

your friend should be sacrificed so that jimi may wak the earth again.
Quote by MetalMario

I also want to add that it is easier to improvise and add effects to slow songs versus fast songs.

Whats easier to improvise on the star spangled banner (jimmi hendrix) or TTFAF... exactly.

Well, that's totally a matter of opinion, I believe it's easier to improv fast stuff vs. slow stuff, and I know I'm not alone. Don't spout off like you know the answer to everything.

Quote by IbanezPsycho

Simple doesn't equal not great. There are several possible reasons why Dragonforce have not-so-hot of live performances. It could be that they do not practice and are basically in a perpetual state of rustiness. It could be that they records are sped up, which is a possibility, double the speed and play an octave down, sounds similar enough for most anyone. It could be that they use studio musicians, or lots of takes to record their songs. It could be that they just don't give a **** and play sloppy because they don't care.

However, I doubt that any of us know the band personally, so we can't really say why their live playing is sloppy quite often. Let's back off the Dragonforce bashing around here, like everyone's saying, this is becoming the bandwagon thing, it's almost as annoying as the Dimebag and Hendrix bandwagons. Let's just let the whole situation be, because, honestly, nobody really cares if you do or don't like Dragonforce, or most any band for that matter.
Livin' Easy, Livin' Free
The first and second album had lots of fun, well structured pop-rock songs, with some incredibly catchy vocal melodies (Fields of Despair and My Spirit Will Go On are literally amazing), with sometimes a pretty well done solo to complete the palette.

But the third album is horrible. Which sort of degrades them as a whole, as their other two were just flukes and they "ran out of ideas". The melodies are forgettable, the production is too thick, and the solos are nonsense (I get lost every single time I listen to Revolution Deathsquard). It's a damn shame Through the Fire and Flames is the song that got popular, because it's the only even remotely good one on the album, and it pales in comparison with their others. Damn shame...

So I guess I'm a fan, but I wouldn't go to a concert ever.
All their songs sound the same
Quote by Bartleby
i tune to drop-Z and string my guitar with barbed wire.

Quote by UncleCthulhu
we r all rlaeted bcuz teh bibel sez so we r al innbreads lolo

Prime Minister of Puppets of The Australia FTW Club

One of The 9 Winners of the Official 5th MOD Contest
Quote by Mockingbird452

omfg beat the ****ing **** out of your friend
My Gear
Edwards E-LP-98LTC
Ibanez RG 321 MH
Jackson DK2M with tonezone
Mesa Mark III
Tech 21 Trademark 10
Quote by thedude051
Are you talking about Randy Rhoads?

Yea yea lol, tanks fer biing teh gremer natzi

"LOOOOooOOOoooLZ!!! OMGZZZZ!!!!!1 teh draginfoarc ar sofa king awsum" Just needs to stop
2003 Music Man Axis Pacific Blue Burst
Quote by Slayer566
omfg beat the ****ing **** out of your friend

HAHAHAHHAHAHHA DUDE WOW FOR SOME REASON THAT CRACKS ME UPPP!

Dragonforce is a pretty cool band, but with cheesy lyrics. Even though they're **** live, people still like them. I think they've brang in a new aspect of music to guitar playing a people like that. So you can't blame them.

Srsly, though don't you want to just shred your heart out while you're drunk?
Eh there is so many reasons why dragonforce sucks. For one half the people that worship them as gods only do so because they have the hardest song on GH. If their song was easy on GH, half the DF fans wouldn't even think twice about them, just move on past them like every other band in GH that isn't as hard as TTFAF.

2. They write some crazy stuff that is really fast but is not tasteful at all. I'm not saying they have to write extremely simple riffs, or even that they should slow it down. I'm saying the melodies they use are just whacked out and hard to listen to.

3. They polish their music in the studio to the point where they can't do it live. To show me your true talent, you gotta jump when i say jump and you better not **** up.

4. The singer sucks balls, and whoever is doing the lyrics should be replaced.

The drummer is a bright spot, I must say. He does a fairly well job of keeping time with all the blurring madness that is almost in-audible.
Page 1 of 2