ok...... i guess its not really a buzz, but i think it's an extreme case of buzz

i got a used schecter c1 from my cousin
while he assured me that the frets are in good condition,
i found that whenever i hold the first fret, the string actually touches the second fret so much that it actually plays the second fret

given that the frets are in good condition, i can only assume that i need to adjust truss rod since my cousin left it unstringed for a while
is this right? or what else can the problem be?
(the last time he actually played the guitar, which was a while ago, it actually sounded pretty nice so i don't think its the bridge, nut, or the fret...)
if it was unstringed for a while, the bridge may have moved.
i almost ruined a les paul epiphone like that when i first started playing @_@
the tension in the strings tends to keep the bridge in place
can u adjust the bridge (string thru tailpiece) with the strings on, or do i have to take em off??
Is the neck relief correct? Back-bowed, up-bowed to much, perfectly straight? Only adjust the truss if the neck isn't right, otherwise the problem is most likely the bridge.
How long have you had the strings on? If the neck didn't have any for a while, it's going to have serious back bow, and it'll take a little bit of time for the strings to pull the neck back to where it's supposed to be. This is assuming we're looking at a neck problem.

Another thing... If the neck is straight, and everything is OK except that second fret, you could probably file it down, although I don't recommend that until you've checked other stuff.
the neck looks alright, not noticeably bent to one direction (though i'm not really an expert at these)
the strings weren't off for that long, but i know that the guitar has been placed at some cold temperature
i tried lifting the bridge up a bit, but it didn't help much, and i dont think its the fret...
fret the first fret Low E, at the same time
fret the last fret Low E, where the neck and body meet.

with both places held, look at the middle frets 7-9th

if the string lays on the fretwire there, you dont have enough bend, and yes, will need a small turn of the truss rod. if that's the case then repost for more information.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
my low E string is currently off so i tried that with A string
the string doesnt completely lay on the fretwire, but its PRETTY DARN CLOSE
also, i know i'm repeating this but the guitar has been exposed to some pretty cold environment........... do U think its the truss rod?
usually when the strings are off a guitar the neck relaxes.

dont worry about the cold, what's done is done. to know if the neck is good then you check each string, measuring how i said.

each string should be about the same. then you know that the neck is level.

and really close to the fretwire, as in, if you cant fit a credit card in the space between the fretwire and the string, then, you can adjust the neck.
a 1/4" Counter clockwise turn of the truss rod. that's a very small amount, dont force the turn, and use the correct sized wrench.

leave the guitar in tune for at least an hour and then check for changes. dont adjust the rod more than 1/4" in a day.

also, your cuts in the nut might be a little low. more bend can help a little, so can swapping out for a slightly thicker string gauge.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Seriously how do you tell how many inches you turn it...

Turn it like 1/8th of a turn each time. Each time you do that, let the guitar sit with the strings etc on for at least an hour. I'm currently in the process of adjusting the truss on my Ibanez, and do 1/8th of a turn, then leave if overnight. Then in the morning I check again, if needed give it another 1/8th of a turn and let it sit while I'm at school.
i get less buzz as i go from thicker string to thinner string
(pretty much no buzz and good first fret sound in the high E string)
^^you can turn it 1/8". in that case, turn turns during the day are fine.

and how do you know what a 1/4" turn is? it's a very small amount. look down at the wrench when turning. try to visualize it. as you do more, u'll get a better hang of it.

when in doubt turn less, take ur time, and dont force turns, and you'll be fine.

^ thelax, if the strings are close/almost touching/cant fit a credit card in the space. when holding top and bottom of the board then adjusting the truss rod will help.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

wow... thanks so much;
btw, can i adjust the rod with the strings on? and which direction should i turn it?
yes. you adjust with the strings on.
you can slack the strings a small bit to access the truss rod nut and to make a quick adjustment, but be sure to tune up the guitar while letting it sit.

and it's a 1/4" COUNTER Clockwise turn when you want more neck curve.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62