So, who here using Flatwound strings? If so what can do you use?

I just put some GHS flatwound on my bass, and I love them. But I don't know if they are made anymore. (These particular strings were made in 1960)
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
1960??!!...!? That's very odd... but yeah they still make GHS flats. Although... I don't think they've been making them for 48 years.

You sure?
I could be wrong. Maybe my dating is off.

Anyway they are very old though! Never used but old!

Do you know when they started making the?
I have used roto flatwounds

they are amazing!

they are much harder to use and are great to practice with if you ask me
I used to use flats...I miss them...o.k. not really they sounded good for slow pretty stuff and jazz but weren't much for all of the other genre's (at least to me). I used all kinds, GHS, Rotosound, D adario and others, though my personal favorites were either the rotosounds or d adario(sp), and honestly, i wasn't fond of the GHS
From what I understand, most flats from the 60's were nickel, as opposed to stainless steel (chrome, monel, etc).

I use Dean Markley flats on my Precision and GHS flats on my "electric upright". I actually prefer the GHS because they're very tonally neutral and have a grippy stainless nature that stainless rounds have but most stainless flats smooth out.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
you put bass strings on your bass from 1960???
I hope you really like the tone because if they were in decent condition im sure they would have been worth something, atleast enough to turn one pack of flatwounds into two
Quote by Drmckool
without having read this thread and just seeing the title since i've been not on the forum for a month i'm just going to say

"why can't we be friends"
I got my P Bass and it had flatwounds on it, it was cool..

Then i put some normal strings on, and it was amazing hahaha
Quote by hightension01

Tell her
"I could be playing this *inserts Job For a Cowboys Doom Cd*
but i'd rather play this *inserts *David Crowder followed by Brewster*"

haha yeah that should work

Quote by Aqua Dementia
richrawr FTW!
I used to use Rotosound flats on my fretless, but I never really liked the sound or feel of them to be honest. Eventually I moved them onto my Schecter, and I still didn't like them. Just too mellow for my taste, I guess. I may have to try some other brands, though, just to see what they're like.
Just remember...

"If we can hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate."

I swear by DR flats. I find that they work great with my travel bass, which has an overly bright piezo bridge.
-Instruments-
Squier frankenbass
LTD Deluxe EC-1000 in Vintage Black
1960's Banjuke
I'm strung up with D'Addario Chromes. They sound alright, but they feel amazing to play.
Where did you find such old strings??
i had rotosound flats on my p bass when i sold it
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.