Hi,

So my guitar teacher began teaching me theory which I really want to learn. He started with the G major scale and G pentatonic. I thought that the major scales consist of seven notes, but he tabbed out a scale that goes pretty much all the way down the fret board. It looks like this:

--------------------------------------------------------------------8--10--12--14--
------------------------------------------------------8--10--12---------------------
--------------------------------------5--7--9--11-----------------------------------
---------------------------5--7--9---------------------------------------------------
-------------3--5--7--9-------------------------------------------------------------
--3--5--7----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Obviously this is more than seven notes, so I just don't understand. Also, the major scale is "movable", but what exactly does that mean?

Hr also tabbed out the G pentatonic:

-----------------------------------------------------10--12-------------------------
--------------------------------------8--10--12------------------------------------
-------------------------------7--9--------------------------------------------------
--------------------5--7--9---------------------------------------------------------
-------------5--7--------------------------------------------------------------------
--3--5--7----------------------------------------------------------------------------

I understand that the major/minor pentatonic scale consists of the 1, 2, 3, 5, and 6th notes of the corresponding major/minor scale, correct?

Any help is appreciated.
full major scale IS 7 notes and the pentatonic is five notes. remmeber, notes repeat because of the octave. after 12 half-steps (one fret = 1/2 step) the notes repeat.
it is not more than seven notes. In music, there is something called the octave where two notes have the same letter name (G, D, C#, Bb) but sound different. They are separated by an interval called octave. For instance, the third fret of low E is a G note, as is the fifth
fret of D.

When he says the scale is movable, it means that if you shift the pattern for that G major scale up 2 frets, it will be A major. Another two frets, and you have B major.

Clear or no?
Ah, I think I understand. So when I play through what I have tabbed, I'm just playing through three octaves? If I wanted to play in only the first octave, I would just play the first 7 notes for the major and first 5 for the pentatonic?

How are arpeggios constructed?

Also, another question: how do you form chords from scales?
Last edited by ttreat31 at Mar 5, 2008,