I have recently acquired a vintage Silvertone hollow body guitar.

Well, its not really mine, but I have been put in charge of rehab and refurbishing the box for my friend. He got it from a grandfather who passed away recently, and while thats a very touching story, the damn thing hasn't been played in at least 15 years. Some parts are rusted, the pots are dirty, the neck is filthy, and honestly I think it needs to be refretted. But at least it still works, all the electronics seem to be intact. So I'm gonna spend the next few days bringing this thing up to standards.

As of so far, my plans are...
  • Take all the strings off and give the whole thing, especially the neck, a thorough cleaning.
  • Restring it, the tuning heads are kinda weird though. They're not hourglass shaped like most modern tuners I see, but more cylindrical. Can I string these like I would a standard modern guitar? Or would this cause a problem?

• Adjust the trussrod, and action.
  • Apply contact cleaner to the volume and tone pots. The wiring seems to be fine, so I'm not gonna mess with it right now.
  • Buy a new case, this one really sucks hardcore. No padding and its extremely thin. The guitar just kinda bounces around in there.

I underlined my questions, and will post more if I need to. If you have any advise or comments leave them here.

So anyone else here with vintage silvertone love? I personally thing this is one sexy bitch.

HABE SOME PUCTURES!!!

Heres a link to a photobucket album with some more. Sorry for some of the blurs, I need a new camera.
http://s272.photobucket.com/albums/jj195/snuggleguns/Silvertone/
Looks like fun, actually. It is pretty sexy.
I dont have one of these, or much knowledge of them, but i'd assume that you can string it normally. I'd look into it on google or something.
Have fun bro. Good Luck!
Yea, I don't really think it'll be a problem, just not really sure. This guitar has a few different bits and pieces compared to the ones that I'm used to, especially the roller bridge and zero fret.
yah the roller bridge on my ibanez is the same as any tunomatic bassicly, bu that guitar is the sex.
il take it if you dont want it...
ans WTF is with the random 0 fret? :wtf;
Quote by Eliyahu
Mr.Cuddles killed The Metal!!!! FUCK YES!

Quote by TheReverend724
Mr Cuddles pretty much nailed it...

Quote by thanksgiving

"Oh Mr.Cuddles, you make my pants go boom boom. I are horny. Do not disappoint I"

Viscara (my band)
Ewww.....

fugly...
Quote by deathbat831
.........oh wow.
Eddy 372, im nominating you badass of UG
Quote by disturbed_n_wv
I believe thats the best looking Explorer I've ever seen, I did think they were all ugly until i seen that one Eddy372 good choice.

I like it. Very "vintage-y", if I can use that as an adjective. They've got a certain charm about them, those old Silvertones.....

how's the whammy on it? GuitarFetish sells some of that type, considering getting one....
Do YOU know who Les Paul is?

Guitars:
-Epiphone Dot Studio
Amps:
-Fender Stage 112 SE
Effects:
-BBE Soul Vibe
-Boss OD-1 Overdrive
-Ibanez DE-7 Delay
Quote by which ones pink
Looks cool. Here's a good guide I found for cleaning old, grungy guitars http://www.ibanezrules.com/tech/grunge/grunge_1.htm

Thanks, the neck pages are pretty helpfully, actually. I'm not gonna bother with the body other than give it a good wipe down, the finish is in pretty good shape. Besides that I just have to clean the tuners and bridge with some WD-40. Oh, and clean the pots with some contact cleaner.

The neck is mostly done by now, and the tuners are no where near as rusted. I just have to run to the store tomorrow and pickup some contact cleaner, oil the neck, and string/set it up. I think I'm pretty fortunate that its in such great shape for what it is.

Wulver:
I haven't got to play with it to much, as I pretty much just plugged it in to see if it still worked then started taking it apart, but the tremolo seems pretty solid. It's like a bigsby if you have any inexperience with them. Good for subtle vibrato, but overuse will wreck hazard on your tuning.

Also, I think the reason it has a zero fret is because it was easier and cheaper to just pop that in there than to properly cut and file a good nut. Which is also why the nut is a bit unwieldy, poorly made, and would have to be replaced if that fret wasn't there.
Quote by hiphopopotamus
Thanks, the neck pages are pretty helpfully, actually. I'm not gonna bother with the body other than give it a good wipe down, the finish is in pretty good shape. Besides that I just have to clean the tuners and bridge with some WD-40. Oh, and clean the pots with some contact cleaner.

The neck is mostly done by now, and the tuners are no where near as rusted. I just have to run to the store tomorrow and pickup some contact cleaner, oil the neck, and string/set it up. I think I'm pretty fortunate that its in such great shape for what it is.

Wulver:
I haven't got to play with it to much, as I pretty much just plugged it in to see if it still worked then started taking it apart, but the tremolo seems pretty solid. It's like a bigsby if you have any inexperience with them. Good for subtle vibrato, but overuse will wreck hazard on your tuning.

Also, I think the reason it has a zero fret is because it was easier and cheaper to just pop that in there than to properly cut and file a good nut. Which is also why the nut is a bit unwieldy, poorly made, and would have to be replaced if that fret wasn't there.

Yeah, that's the most likely explanation for the zero fret. I've got a cheapo mini-acoustic I pulled out of the closet recently, had it since I was a little kid, and the bugger's got a zero fret on there. Mainly because the nut was placed all haphazardly (and has even come loose. it's just string tension that's keeping it on). it's a ridiculously cheap guitar, but I love it anyway.

And nevermind about the vibrato arm. I just discovered they DO make black Bigsbys, and I figure I'll just get one of those.
Do YOU know who Les Paul is?

Guitars:
-Epiphone Dot Studio
Amps:
-Fender Stage 112 SE
Effects:
-BBE Soul Vibe
-Boss OD-1 Overdrive
-Ibanez DE-7 Delay
go checkout my vintage silvertone on my page. also you can go to vintagesilvertones.com for more info on it
I think that if you lubricated the nut (or replaced it with a graphtec nut) and the bridge it would keep it's tuning very well during whammying. Roller bridge + slick nut should equal good tuning stability. The only thing that might knock you out of tune are the tuners..
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Bugera Users Militia. We are horrible people. With a sprinkler fetish.
~ BUM: For all things extinguishing

Rackmount Tube Amp Project <<< Updates!