so Im the lead guitarist in my band, but it seems my solos are too melodic and not metal-ish sounding enough. Not that melody's a bad thing, but some songs I want to be more than

Also, I was tuning my guitar down to drop B, and when I had the bottom 3 strings tuned, I saw my floating tremolo thing was all the way down, so I quickly tuned it back up. Will this hurt my guitar? And how do you raise the action? my guitar is an Ibanez, Im not sure what kind though, their names are all complicated with the numbers and stuff.
Last edited by StopReadingThis at Mar 5, 2008,
First, you can tune to drop B with a floyd or Ibanez tremolo. You just need to adjust the springs in the back of the guitar.

Raising the action however, is not something I'm familiar with on an Ibanez.
Gear:
ESP Eclipse 300
Jackson RR3
Bugera 6262 head
Trace Elliot straight cab
Boss NS-2
Boss DD-3
Why would you tune down to solo? Most solos are high enough that it doesn't matter.

I suggest learning some of your favorite solos in this style, at least to the extent that you learn what they're doing, even if you can't play the solo note-for-note. That way, you learn what makes something sound evil rather than nasty.
As for the drop-B, it really can reign hell on your floyd. Adjusting the springs is good I guess, but I still think Floyds are too sensitive to adapt to altered tunings without pain in the a*s set-ups. I used to sing in a band that used drop-B and the guy with the floyd would go out of tune every song and the other guy had neck problems. The latter was an Iceman and the other a Washburn Dime.

As for the solos, maybe learn a few fast thrash licks and throw them where appropriate. It might add a little edge to your melodic playing(though I don't know exactly what kind of melodic soloing you're doing). And don't forget Kerry King style. Oh yeah.
Gear:
Inflatable Guitar
Digitech GSP 2101/Mosvalve 962/Yamaha S412V
My Imagination
Just play in more minor scales. Or, at least darker sounding modes.
Harmonic minor is a scale I constantly use while writing metal solos.
The gods you worship are Steel
At the altar of Rock N Roll you kneel
A slave who forever Rocks
Is chained in the Devil's locks
AND SLAIN BY THE BLOODY AXE I WHAIL!
Deathmasks message of "You cannot kill them metal" reminds me of a good song with awesome metal licks. its "them metal" by tenacious D. Awesome. Maybe listen to that song, try em out, throw in some improv on that, etc etc
Use some pentatonic scale, and do some step skipping, just keep on experimenting and improvising.
A good way is to play 3 note patterns and repeat them. For example

e----------------------------------------------------
b------15p12----15p12---17p12---15p12----
g--------------14---------14-------14---------14

e--15p12----17p12----15p12----14p12----
b----------15--------15---------15----------15
g--------------------------------------------------

Throw in some fast runs up and down the neck, the odd harmonic minor lick, diminished 5ths, tapping, whammy bar dives, blah, blah
Quote by smokin_joe
Deathmasks message of "You cannot kill them metal" reminds me of a good song with awesome metal licks. its "them metal" by tenacious D. Awesome. Maybe listen to that song, try em out, throw in some improv on that, etc etc

I didn't just make up that quote dude. and it's "The Metal".

NEW WAVE TRIED TO KILL THE METAL! BUT IT FAILED, AS IT WAS THROWN TO THE GROUND!
The gods you worship are Steel
At the altar of Rock N Roll you kneel
A slave who forever Rocks
Is chained in the Devil's locks
AND SLAIN BY THE BLOODY AXE I WHAIL!