Would it be best to get a boss gt-8 or individual stomp boxes. Im kinda in a loop..
I prefer individual pedals. Because if one breaks I replace that one... rather than the whole thing.
Good Ultimate-Guitar deals:
s.r.v. / Soapboxhero / dbrettw / laxduck / O00Coolzero00O / 1mmpick

Good Harmony-Central deals:

Quicksilver 689 / antiochband / KjStrat / Critter / guillatool1

Good SevenString.org deals:

Guitarmiester / TMM
i have heard the GT8 es damn awesome
but you know exactly what sound are you looking go with stompboxes
My Gear

Squier VM p-bass(i chosed it over a fender!!!) with quarter pounder and gotoh 201!!
fender MIM P bass
epiphone SG 400
i go with individual stomp boxes, i find the quality much better, i can choose whatever effect i want instead of settling with what the multi-fx processor has, and as previously stated they can be replaced individually
'69 fender tele thinline semi-hollow
ts808
fender blues deville 410
Depends. I would wait on a GT8 unless you get one cheap as the GT-10 is coming out. Now then.

IF you plan on using them a lot, and only plan on getting a couple, the separate pedals will work best. IF you plan on not using them a lot, I would go with a used or very price cut GT-8. IF you plan on using them a lot, and want a good variety and lot of obscure pedals, get the GT-10. Remember, a large pedal board requires a pedal board (duh), a power supply, and pedals with good bypass. If you are not gigging and/or don't plan on being a very heavy user, the multi effects is worth it in the long run. In the end, you have figure out what is best for you.
if you cover all sorts of stuff, get multi effects. If you want your own 1 good unique sound get stomps.
Quote by KingJustinian25
if you cover all sorts of stuff, get multi effects. If you want your own 1 good unique sound get stomps.

+1

Guitarmiester / TMM
well. I was kinda of thinking of getting a metal muff and a dunlop crybaby wah 535q. Also, I would save $200. But the gt-8 has alot of features and effects.
I would say the GT-8. I have tried both, and i personally like effects processors better. You can get your own unique sound out of a processor, just look how many guitarist use them. Stomps are limited in my opinion, and most processors include models of popular stomps.
Quote by shred_hed
I would say the GT-8. I have tried both, and i personally like effects processors better. You can get your own unique sound out of a processor, just look how many guitarist use them. Stomps are limited in my opinion, and most processors include models of popular stomps.

Now I have second doubts
it depends. I've heard great single pedals, and horrible multis, but I've head crappy single pedals and great Multi FX....
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Mesa Single Rectifier (Series 1)
Fender Custom Shop Tonemaster
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Digidesign Eleven RackAxe Fx Ultra
Quote by life_777
Now I have second doubts

I've use multi effects boxes before and had them fail... unfortunately... but fortunately it wasn't live... I can't imagine if it was live and it was what I relied on though. I would rather have one effect (out of say 7-10) fail than all of them at the same time.

Just my thoughts...

Guitarmiester / TMM
Quote by Reincaster
it depends. I've heard great single pedals, and horrible multis, but I've head crappy single pedals and great Multi FX....

amen to that!!!

Just be careful what you buy.... There is a TON of crap out there.

Guitarmiester / TMM
OY VEY! Listen up! Multi-efx IMHO will never sound near as good as pure analog stompboxes alone. A multi-fx pedal can do alot of things mediocre, and a single stomp box can do one thing amazingly. Besides, real amps sound alot better than simulated amps... Metal Player? you probably only need an Overdrive, and a Wah (maybe a delay...). For Metal, I reccomend using OVERDRIVE! when you overdrive something, you are boosting the gain, when you distort something, it can muddy the tone. What I reccomend for you is to buy a Fulltone OCD, place it in front of the overdriven channel on your VK, for awesome gain tones. A wah for metal? probably the weeping demon. Add on a good delay box (MXR Carbon Copy, 150) and you have some good Metal tones for a decent price. The Ibanez wah is 100$, and the Fulltone OCD is 150$
Quote by Highwaytohell
OY VEY! Listen up! Multi-efx IMHO will never sound near as good as pure analog stompboxes alone. A multi-fx pedal can do alot of things mediocre, and a single stomp box can do one thing amazingly. Besides, real amps sound alot better than simulated amps... Metal Player? you probably only need an Overdrive, and a Wah (maybe a delay...). For Metal, I reccomend using OVERDRIVE! when you overdrive something, you are boosting the gain, when you distort something, it can muddy the tone. What I reccomend for you is to buy a Fulltone OCD, place it in front of the overdriven channel on your VK, for awesome gain tones. A wah for metal? probably the weeping demon. Add on a good delay box (MXR Carbon Copy, 150) and you have some good Metal tones for a decent price. The Ibanez wah is 100$, and the Fulltone OCD is 150$

It depends. I saw U2 live, and Edge was using DL4's and he sounded pretty fantastic. Meshuggah used pods straight into power amps. Matt bellamy has a GT8 on his board when I saw them live too. If Multi effects can do at least one thing great, why would he have it on there?

You generalize too much. Analog single pedals are not the be all, end all.

There are some multi effects that do some things pretty great, like the TC Electronics G Major.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Quote by shred_hed

I have to disagree, I think multi's are limited while stomps are much more open to experimentation. Running two tubescreamers at the same time is one of many examples. It's just something that a multi can't do.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Quote by Kevin Saale
I have to disagree, I think multi's are limited while stomps are much more open to experimentation. Running two tubescreamers at the same time is one of many examples. It's just something that a multi can't do.

Actually, a few multi's can run multiple OD models into each other. However, at that point, it doesn't react the same way.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Quote by life_777
Would it be best to get a boss gt-8 or individual stomp boxes. Im kinda in a loop..
Both. Get a GT-8. Then start adding some distortion stompboxes in the send/recv loop as you save up money and find ones you like. When you use a distortion stompbox in the loop just disable the preamp and distortion sim.
individual pedals. if i didnt have to use it at church, i wouldnt have my effects processor.
Quote by Soma3009
I came up with this kick ass riff on my ukelele when I was 12. Find out two years later, it was smoke on the water. Got my hopes and dreams killed..

Quote by saintjimmy99
you used the right form of "their!" i commend you sir!

Dumb question but, is the wah wah pedal looking thing on the gt8 a wah pedal. Can you put some good distortion and stuff and wah wah with the distortion.
Matt bellamy has a GT8 on his board when I saw them live too. If Multi effects can do at least one thing great, why would he have it on there?

Matt Bellamy uses a pretty complex MIDI setup. He does use a POD though, which is a higher end processor. Multi-effects are generally like stompboxes in that you pay for quality. The higher end stuff can be pretty convincing, but I'd rather stick with stompboxes as I can get exactly what I want without fidgeting with a menu screen.

Edit: The treadle can be assigned to different effects. I think there's even a whammy on there, but I'm not sure.
::Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
::Fender MIM HSS Strat w/ Bareknuckle Nailbomb and killbutton
::Digitech Whammy, ZVEX Fuzz Factory, EHX MicroSynth, Kaoss Pad 3,
Boss GE-7, Fulltone OCD, Digitech Digidelay, MXR EVH Phase 90, FoxxTone FuzzWahVolume
you can do lots of things with the foot pedal like wah, volume swells, etc.
Quote by Soma3009
I came up with this kick ass riff on my ukelele when I was 12. Find out two years later, it was smoke on the water. Got my hopes and dreams killed..

Quote by saintjimmy99
you used the right form of "their!" i commend you sir!

The pedal is assignable for all kinds of things. It's a volume by default and it has a pressure sensitive toe switch that switch to wah and back to volume each time you press it. The GT-8 will give you just about every effect you could want. The drawback to most all multifx is the distortion and amp models can sound digital (fizzy, grainy). That's why the send/recv loop is great for using individual pedals for distortion.

The GT-8 also has FX ordering. There is some basic rules for best placing FX in the chain. The GT-8 is programmable. So if you put pedals in the loop you can set the order correctly. You should also get a USB to Midi cable and download the free preset editing software if you get the GT-8. It makes programming the presets and FX simpler.