I have been staining my guitar neck and head a dark mahogony colour. I first sanded it all down, applied stainer, waited for it to dry, sanded it down again, i did this process about 6 times untill it was as dark as I desired. I am now at the stage where I will apply a couple of layers of clear coat.

I have applied the final coat of stainer, and it now looks very nice, but my question is, should I sand it down again before i apply the clear coat? I am scared that if i do it will loose some of its shine?

What would be the best thing to do? Is it ok to apply clearcoat to unsanded stained wood?

Thanks for your advice
You didn't have to sand it each time you stained it. Just sand it once properly then stain it. Wait until the stain has penetrated then continue with another coat. Don't sand it again, just apply the clear coat.
Custom Strat
Boss BD-2 Blues Driver
Electro Harmonix #1 Echo
Fender Blues Jr.
Crate V18

“America is all about speed. Hot, nasty, bad-ass speed.”
-Eleanor Roosevelt, 1936
^ A light sanding in between coats isn't a bad idea. It will knock down any grain that gets raised.
Will says:
DON'T FEAR THE REAPER!
- SmarterChild - says:
I don't know if I can help it.

Member #6 of the "I play my guitar as high as Tom Morello does" club
It isn't a bad idea but it increases the chance of trapping sanding dust in the grain. Wipe clean with naptha, always a good idea.
Custom Strat
Boss BD-2 Blues Driver
Electro Harmonix #1 Echo
Fender Blues Jr.
Crate V18

“America is all about speed. Hot, nasty, bad-ass speed.”
-Eleanor Roosevelt, 1936
naptha, mineral spirits, ect. always around when I'm painting.
STUFFZ:
SAGA ST10, IBANEZ(s): '96 ZR140BK (korea), '96 RX20 (indonesia)
Danelectro Cool Cat CC1 Chorus
Digitech Bad Monkey
Behringer BX1800A (180w 12" aluminum cone)
FOR SALE: Fender Champion 110 (25w RMS combo 10" with tank reverb)