what gage strings does John Mayer use? I kno he uses erine ball strings though. Oh and what is the difference between erine ball power slinkys and erine ball regular slinkys. I differnt want to get a good blues tone like clapton, srv and MAYER!
Last edited by zaffie8808 at Mar 5, 2008,
Just about any strings will do. Strings have very little to do with your tone.
Mitch Hedberg Group
http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/koalabears/

Quote by Irnmaiden4life
why didnt you just play like crap?
if you need help with that, ask Vincent745

Quote by imgooley
Awe, so cute...

How old are you?

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Old enough to yell rape.
it does affect your tone, although not very substantially. I know SRV used very thick gauge strings (.13), but he WAS on coke and had to superglue his fingers to keep them from bleeding, so its your choice.
Traynor YCS-50>EHX SMM w/ Hazarai>EHX DMM>EHX Holy Grail>EHX Small Stone>EHX Big Muff PI (NY)>EHX Pulsar>Ibanez TS-9DX>Echo Park>Ibanez Vintage Tubeking>Fulltone OCD>Zvex Fuzz Factory> Roto-Machine>Fulltone Wah>MJM London Fuzz>Fender Strat
It doesn't matter. It will not get you any closer to having his tone. Hell, having the undoubtedly tens of thousands of dollars of gear will probably not make you sound like mayer.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Quote by Kevin Saale
It doesn't matter. It will not get you any closer to having his tone. Hell, having the undoubtedly tens of thousands of dollars of gear will probably not make you sound like mayer.

I still want to kno. You don't have to be gay about it.
Then find out for yourself. If he's anything like SRV he probably uses a specific gauge for each string and swaps out lighter gauges for sore fingers.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
I'm pretty sure he uses .11's
Fender MIA Telecaster with DiMarzio noiseless single coils
-Fulltone OCD
-Ibanez Analog Delay
-Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Fender Blues Junior
Fender MIM Jazz Bass with Noiseless pickups
Mesa Walkabout
Epiphone AC200SCE Acoustic
He probably uses both 11's and 10's.

Doesn't matter either way, those two gauges are pretty close.

I wouldn't suggest going above 11's. When I had 12's, my fingers were in hell. The tone was nice, but not nice enough to put my fingers through that.
High as tits
If you want to sound like Mayer, you need to worry more about how you're going to afford a Dumble or Two Rock amp.
ESP LTD EC-256 and a Fender Deluxe VM