OK i was hoping some one could help me out. i use a peavey envoy 110 and an ibanez rgt42dx. pickups: 2 Ibanez Designed by EMG" humbucker pickups. my problem is that im not getting the kind of sound that i want to get. im not sure if its the amp or the pickups or maybe both. the amp is a good amp for playing rythem but not shredding. so what can i do to get that nice shred sound. not that muddy distortion sound. id rather stick with a pedle. but ill take any suggestions. my budget is $2000 thanks for helpping
80% of it is in your hands. You need to just slow down because you are obviously playing sloppily. Once you feel the tone is good, SLOWLY increase speed. It may take 2-4 years to get to very fast, clean speed.
scoop mids+higher treble... thats my guess
"every prince has to slay a few dragons before he meets his princess"
Quote by johnpetrucci05
80% of it is in your hands. You need to just slow down because you are obviously playing sloppily. Once you feel the tone is good, SLOWLY increase speed. It may take 2-4 years to get to very fast, clean speed.

nah im not playing sloppy im sure of that. i practice 3 string areggio sweeps at 40 beats per min on clean. when i play it with distortion it sounds like crap
buy an amp such as a mesa boogie roadster, a marshall 1959slp (if you are able to stand the volume) or a Peavey JSX, hook up a delay, and some reverb and you're good to go. the problem you probably have is that the amp hasn't got enough sustain to make it sound good. you need delay and reverb to make it sound really great.
Quote by antiquity1072
nah im not playing sloppy im sure of that. i practice 3 string areggio sweeps at 40 beats per min on clean. when i play it with distortion it sounds like crap

Im buzzing so if this is illegiabkle i apologise in adacvence.

The thing is, practicing clean is good and will hone your technique but playing the same thing on distortion is a different kettle of fish. You need to train the left hand to mute as you play a string as to prevent the string from ringing.

The way I do this is if I am playing a sweep, I keep the picking hand at an angle so as it touches the string I just played and eliminates the strings natural tendency to ring.

So basically, practice on clean but also practice with distortion and work on picking hand muting.

Also work on fretting hand muting. When I roll a sweep I can mute the string with the rolling finger. This takes away the need for the picking hand to mute the strings.

Practice both, utelise them and Im sure your playing will become cleaner.

I hope I haver helped a little.
Sat in a lab, curing diseases. They actually LET me play with chemicals!
Advanced Techniques forum. Also, from what you've described, your muting technique is naff. Work on it, clean channel and distortion.
"2,000,000 NPS Whores" club.
Appreciating the beauty of music so fast it blows puny mortal's faces off.
Bow down to teh Shredzor!
PM La Qotsa if you want to join. No emotion? Pah!
I have the same kind of pickups they suck, you might wanna get some EMG's or Seymour Duncan's.