I've been considering sending my DS-1 to keeley and have it modded. If would cost 70 bucks + shipping.

My question is this, is it worth it, has anyone used one? I play mainly classic rock and bluesier stuff through my hrd's clean channel using my green screamer for gain which works great. I like to fool around with the ds-1 but it pretty much sucks. I wouldn't use this as my main source of distortion, probably more for a shred kind of lead tone, maybe to do a touch of metal. I ask, would it work, is it worth the money?
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
From what I've heard, Keeley mods are very nice, but they are overpriced since the components can be bought for under $5. I just modded my Boss BD-2 to Keeley specs myself and it sounds great but it was so easy that the $65 he charges wouldn't have been worth it to me.

Robert Keeley is a cool dude for posting this himself.

Here's a tutorial on how to do it yourself.

Even if you've never modded pedals before, it's pretty easy and it's totally worth it to start.
...to give your love no matter what is what she said...
Sweet, I'll have to order that stuff and give it a go.
Great

www.smallbearelec.com has a huge selection but they've been painfully slow lately

edit: Let me know how it turns out if you do it, about 5 people I know will sell me their DS-1's for like $10-15 so I'm thinking about picking one up for a mod project.
Alright, I'll pop back in this thread.

For 10 bucks tho I would just grab one since they aren't that bad. Then again I'm one of the few people that actually sort of likes a ds-1. With the gain down and the level up it isn't a terrible boost. The do get muddy quick though.
How's one more bump sound?

You're probably a good candidate for the mod since you like the sound. It will still be a DS-1, just a way better one because of the better components.

I've actually played one on a tube amp and after I wasn't a fan of the sound. I was able to dial in something decent but nothing that really made me want one. Honestly I just like modding and experimenting with pedals so unless the mod is spectacular I'll probably end up buying it, modding it and then selling it

I'll let this die now