So I went to guitar center a couple weeks back and was chatting with the recording section worker about my GNX3. Bacically what he told me was this:

So he told me first I would have to plug my guitar into the pedal, naturally. But then he told me that "Midi cables don't transfer audio." Is this true? Because if it is, according to him, I'll have to buy a whole nother piece of gear that costs $200. Basically I would have plug the Midi In/Out into my pedal, then put the USB jack on the other end into the new gear, then take a plain ole USB-to-USB from that into the computer, THEN I can put the recordings on my computer. Also, Is this true?

If so, What software would I use to get the recordings onto the computer?

Thanks much.
Check out my music, if you please.
MIDI is just a way hat computers "talk" to one another. MIDI will, in theory, transmit anything you put into it.
GEAR
Guitar
Ibanez RG42DX
Peavey Valveking100
Avatar 4x12 cabinet w/ Celestion Vintage 30's
Line 6 Spider 3
DOD Flanger
Ernie Ball Strings
Bass
Dean Edge 4
Peavey TNT 135
GHS Strings
yeah I believe so, MIDI does not transfer audio, you'll need either and Interface which yeah runs like $200 or a midi guitar

Sorry bro thats the Recording business for ya

BTW while your there buy a DI box to convert your high impedance guitar to low impedance just trust me you'll get a much better sound and that only runs about $20
Quote by Dizzy772
Yeah, you gotta buy all the MIDI crap for recording. I've done it myself, and it's a bitch.

yeah but once its all over with, its worth it right? cuz i want to become a serious musician, you know. is this the kind of stuff i need?
This is true, MIDI only takes digital signals. Though here's the kicker... Very good sound cards have midi ports. "hint hint" and can take the transfer "dbl hint" Check your computer and see if you have a midi port on your soundcard. I know I do due to me having a monster sound card.
Midi does not transfer audio, period.

Midi is the Musical Instrument Digital Interface. It is an old design, and it is a control signal... NOT an audio signal.

The guy at guitar center was telling you some stuff that is only partially true.. most likely because he doesn't know any better, though. A lot of people are confused about what Midi is exactly.

Read this page if you don't believe it:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MIDI

From the PDF instruction manual for the GNX3 on Digitech's website:
"When enabled, MIDI Thru sends the same information the GNX3 received at the MIDI In."

Loosely translated, that means the Midi jack is only used for other Midi devices. Apparently it can record the data onto the tracks while you're recording.

Now, here's the real answer to your original question:

You need to use the SPDIF output on your GNX3. It is a digital audio output.. the same format used by your home theater system or DVD player with optical and/or coaxial digital audio connections.

The GNX3 uses a coax digital audio output. You just connect any old RCA cable to it... same stuff your VCR used for audio output back in the day.

The catch? Your computer must have an SPDIF input. It most likely does.. as most soundcards and even onboard audio on motherboards come equipped with SPDIF inputs. My sound card uses an 1/8th mono jack. I adapted the RCA cable to a headphone connector and stuck it in. Even though the headphone connector was stereo, it works correctly anyway.

Next, you have to enable the SPDIF input in your audio control panel or the volume control in your system tray (that line of tiny icons on the bottom right)

If you don't have a soundcard with an SPDIF input on it, get one. Soundblasters can be had for $27 on Newegg.com with an SPDIF (digital I/O connector). That beats the crap out of $200 for some overpriced Midi interface. (which can be had for much less, as well)

Your GNX3 does all of the digital processing for you. Don't waste your money on something to convert the signal again. Just get your GNX3 talking to your computer in digital, and it will produce the best quality recordings.
All my photobucket pics are dead so no links to my guitar build threads.
My Music
Did you get all that? I sure spent a while writing it.
My Music
Quote by zeroyon
Did you get all that? I sure spent a while writing it.

100% correct man. I don't know anything about that guitar product, but I do know my midi, but you just helped my point along about the digitalness of it.

+1 listen to his instructions above the quoted post, he's done his research.
The other option would be to record then prepare the SD card for your PC. Get an adapter at office depot (<$20) to plug the SD card into your computer. You may even have a built in card reader. Anyways after you plugin to your PC you should be able to import that audio into the included Cakewalk software.

Did you read the manual for the GNX3? It tells you exactly what your asking about.

link here:
http://img3.musiciansfriend.com/dbase/pdf/man/m_150198.pdf

EDIT: This is all assuming the memory card is SD and you don't have a usb or firewire connection on the GNX3. I searched as much as I could from work, but turned up nothing on both of these.

DS
Irrelevant quote from obscure person
Obnoxious statement regarding size of e-ween
Italicized text indicating bandwagoning masquerading as deep thought
ASCII graphic that will take over the world if you put one in your signature
Made up statistic
Last edited by Death-Speak at Mar 7, 2008,
The GNX3 uses SmartMedia, which is limited to 128mb. That is not exactly a lot of storage space by today's standards. You can get far better recordings if you use Sonar and record the digital signal off the GNX3 live.

I got your comment on my profile and will try to answer it here so more people can find this info later (if needed)

Assuming you're using a PC with Windows (you mentioned Sigmatel):

Click Start - Click Control Panel
Double Click Sounds and Audio Devices
Click Advanced under Device Volume

Click Options, then Properties

On the checklist shown, be sure that S/PDIF-in is checkmarked. If its not, click it. Press OK.

Once you have done that, it goes back to the screen with the volume sliders. Uncheck the mute box under the S/PDIF-in slider.

Now connect your GNX3 SPDIF output to the input jack on your computer. If you can't figure out which one is the digital input, just try each one for a few seconds until you get sound. As long as S/PDIF-in is enabled on your computer, you should get sound.

If you don't find that your computer has an S/PDIF-in feature, then you need a real sound card. (like I said, its only $27 for a Soundblaster than can support it just fine)

Let me know if you have any problems.
My Music
GuitaristXakk wrote on Mar 8th, 2008 5:17pm:

hey its me again, i did as you said, but when i went to check off the "SPDIF-in" its not there. Does the spdif have to be plugged in for it to show up?

also, is this the "correct" spdif cable that i need (its only 8 bucks):

http://cgi.ebay.com/6-6-ft-PREMIUM-Digital-Coaxial -SPDIF-Audio-Cable_W0QQitemZ380003429393QQihZ025QQ categoryZ14965QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewIte m

please help!!

(do u have msn? it would be a heck of a lot easier to talk on there)

No, you don't need to buy that cable. It is nothing more than a regular RCA cable. If you're going to buy a cable, it would be better to figure out exactly what type of connections you have before you spend the money on one. Chances are you will need one like this: http://cgi.ebay.com/3-5mm-1-8-to-RCA-video-mono-audio-camera-cable-6_W0QQitemZ370020463979QQihZ024QQcategoryZ32836QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQ_trksidZp1638.m118.l1247QQcmdZViewItem

(at least thats what I use to connect mine. I just use one RCA connection and leave the other hanging... then plug the little 1/8" plug into the jack on my sound card)

No, SPDIF doesn't have to be plugged in to appear on the checklist.

Now, if your soundcard doesn't have SPDIF, then it won't be an option. Then you may need to purchase a sound card.
My Music
Quote by zeroyon
On the checklist shown, be sure that S/PDIF-in is checkmarked. If its not, click it. Press OK.

does the S/PDIF have to be plugged in for it to show up?

Quote by zeroyon
Now connect your GNX3 SPDIF output to the input jack on your computer. If you can't figure out which one is the digital input, just try each one for a few seconds until you get sound. As long as S/PDIF-in is enabled on your computer, you should get sound.

is this what i need? and is the S/PDIF jack specifically called the S/PDIF jack, or is it where it has a picture of a microphone, or the other with a picture of some headphones...?

Quote by zeroyon
If you don't find that your computer has an S/PDIF-in feature, then you need a real sound card. (like I said, its only $27 for a Soundblaster than can support it just fine)

If I get that, how do i install it on my computer?

Quote by zeroyon
Let me know if you have any problems.

Sure thing, zeroyon
I answered most of those questions in the post above yours already.

Don't buy the cable. Read what I wrote above you.

No, it doesn't have to be plugged in to show up on the list.

If you buy a sound card, putting it in is super easy. Turn off your computer! You open the side of your computer, find a slot it fits into... then remove the little metal cover from the case at the end of that slot. Slide the card in tight, screw the one screw down. Turn it back on and put the CD that came with the card in the drive. Go through the auto-install process on the disc and it should set everything up for you.

Once you've done all that, you will now have the option to check mark S/PDIF-in. Now you plug an 1/8" headphones style jack into the soundcard's SPDIF and adapt the other end to the RCA connector on the GNX3. You can buy a cable that does this from radio shack.

If you're using software like Sonar or Cubase or something, you can select the SPDIF as the input for a track in the mixer. That way it records direct into the software, digital the whole way. (the cleanest signal you're gonna get)
My Music
Quote by zeroyon
I answered most of those questions in the post above yours already.

Don't buy the cable. Read what I wrote above you.

No, it doesn't have to be plugged in to show up on the list.

If you buy a sound card, putting it in is super easy. Turn off your computer! You open the side of your computer, find a slot it fits into... then remove the little metal cover from the case at the end of that slot. Slide the card in tight, screw the one screw down. Turn it back on and put the CD that came with the card in the drive. Go through the auto-install process on the disc and it should set everything up for you.

Once you've done all that, you will now have the option to check mark S/PDIF-in. Now you plug an 1/8" headphones style jack into the soundcard's SPDIF and adapt the other end to the RCA connector on the GNX3. You can buy a cable that does this from radio shack.

If you're using software like Sonar or Cubase or something, you can select the SPDIF as the input for a track in the mixer. That way it records direct into the software, digital the whole way. (the cleanest signal you're gonna get)

and where could i get the soundcard?
Are you running windows Vista or XP?
My Music
Quote by zeroyon
Dude, found the perfect card for you here:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16829111001

That thing is super cheap, and has RCA jacks for the coaxial SPDIF connection. This means all you need is a simple RCA cable. (you should have some extras from a DVD player laying around)

it shows it has the S/PDIF jacks, so would i plug in the red and white in there, and then the red or white one on the other end plugged into the pedal?
Vista and XP are windows OS's... which one?
GEAR
Guitar
Ibanez RG42DX
Peavey Valveking100
Avatar 4x12 cabinet w/ Celestion Vintage 30's
Line 6 Spider 3
DOD Flanger
Ernie Ball Strings
Bass
Dean Edge 4
Peavey TNT 135
GHS Strings
GC had the line 6 recording box thingy for $60
The nice part about being a pessimist is that you are constantly being either proven right or pleasantly surprised
-George Will

Also caught her playing fallout boy on my guitar, changed my strings and cleaned it the next day.
Quote by GuitaristXakk
it shows it has the S/PDIF jacks, so would i plug in the red and white in there, and then the red or white one on the other end plugged into the pedal?

You only need one cable, so you can just plug the red one in and let the white one hang. Plug the other end red one into the pedal.
My Music
Quote by BAoxymoron
GC had the line 6 recording box thingy for $60

He doesn't need that, because he's not trying to record analog audio. He's trying to record the digital signal that has already been processed by his GNX3. (it does recording itself)
My Music
I don't think that a regular RCA cable will work, the SPDIF is a different impedance. At least from what I understand.
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
Actually, S/PDIF is 75ohms.

RCA standard is 75ohms.

That means the cables are identical, and they just overcharge you for one with a flashy name. Any further question of this can be solved by googling cable impedances.

I'm not talking out my butt here, I am using standard RCA cables for S/PDIF on my computer and on my home theater with excellent results.
My Music
From the Holiday Musician's friend catalog:

"BEHRINGER USB-Guitar iAXE393

Turn your PC or Mac into a guitar amp and recording system. Works with standard amp, PC, or MAC. Powered via USB. Jam with MP3, WAV, AIFF, and OGG songs or backing track. Multitrack and editing software. White finish. See our website for details.

List Price: $179.99
Musician's Friend Price: $119.99"

it looks like a strat and comes w/ software, picks, strap, a starting guide, and usb cable.
I was an Internet Witness in the mike.h Murder Case.
Quote by Pauldapro
this man is right. everything he says is right. so, stop killing people and get therapy ffs
Quote by DeAd-RiP
i think ill stick to XLR if im gonna record lol

XLR? whats that?