I have a three humbucker g-400 custom. It has three volume knobs which is great for everything except changing the volume, I wanted to turn the tone knob into a master volume knob.
“In my anguish I cried to the LORD, and he answered by setting me free. The LORD is with me; I will not be afraid. What can man do to me?”
So you want a master volume, and individual volumes for the pickups?
Will says:
DON'T FEAR THE REAPER!
- SmarterChild - says:
I don't know if I can help it.

Member #6 of the "I play my guitar as high as Tom Morello does" club
Quote by Will_Minus
So you want a master volume, and individual volumes for the pickups?

Yeah. The individual pick up volume are really handy for tone shaping, but to actually turn down the volume, you have to turn three knobs.
“In my anguish I cried to the LORD, and he answered by setting me free. The LORD is with me; I will not be afraid. What can man do to me?”
If there's no pickup selector or tone pot then the wiring goes something like:

Pickup positive -> Center volume pot
Pickup negative -> Lside volume pot -> ground
Output positive from pot -> output jack

Just combine all the positive outputs from the individual volumes and run them through the master volume.

Ok, that's what I guessed without thinking too much. Anyone think that's wrong?

Also I've had the desire to try a 3 concentric tone/vol pot set up with master volume. Anyone wanna give it a try?

Edit: I forgot it's a tone pot. Remove the capacitor, obv.
Last edited by bullets34 at Mar 6, 2008,
Oh, so just remove the capacitor? That's what I was thinking, but I wasn't sure.
bump
Quote by JesusLives
Oh, so just remove the capacitor? That's what I was thinking, but I wasn't sure.

you will have to do more than remove the cap, because the tone pot is connected parallel to your signal,

also, check for the type of pot you have, you have logarithmic and linear pots

sometimes a tonepot is linear, for volume control you want the logarithmic one
(pots are marked with A or B)
{A25K = 25KB = logarithmic
B25K = 25KA = linear}
(loaned from dutch forum)
Last edited by Zwabber at Mar 8, 2008,
its 'logarithmic' and 'linear' and for passive pickups, use 500k or 250k pots. 25k is for active.
Sincerely,
Shitstirrer
yes that is true, but it was only for illustration of the a / b code

i should have bean clearer about that

spelling is fixed, thank you
ok, well thanks guys.
Quote by THE Saint Jimmy
you're welcome.

Uh, ok. I wasn't really talking to you, but w/e.