I'm kind of hesitant on buying this lucite bass. (also hesitant to post this in the bass forum, not sure which to post it in.) I've heard that the weight sucks for them, that they're really heavy. In addition, I've heard that if dropped or scraped or anything leave huge marks and break easy etc. Also, that they're like plastic, except a bit harder o.O

I'm basically just looking for some reassurance to whether or not the TONE will be good or not.

this is the guitar. custom made and stuff by this guy =\ http://ctbass.birdsong.googlepages.com/lucitebass_4.jpg/lucitebass_4-full.jpg

I've never heard it played before, but it immediately caught my attention, and thought it'd be a nice guitar.

MAIN QUESTION: Is acrylic worth it? Does the tone normally suck? (is it effected in anyway from the material) .. any other info appreciated
Quote by yawn
Don't type in all caps.

Otherwise You Look Like A Complete Moron.

Quote by jazz_rock_feel
1) Bold print. Reason? Y/N?
Have you felt how heavy they were? I heard you mineaswell buy a back brace because they're so heavy, lol. Also, if I were to drop it, do you think it'd chip off and get messed up totally?
Quote by yawn
Don't type in all caps.

Quote by jazz_rock_feel
I'm not sure about the Ergodyne (which I thought was made from the same stuff as the Curbow), but from what I've read about the clear stuff, the material weighs a TONNE, and the tone is quite... plastic... much like a Curbow. Maybe they are the same material...

EDIT:

http://www.strat-central.com/precbs60s.htm

Check out the '57 lucite Strat.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Last edited by thefitz at Mar 5, 2008,
Quote by Deliriumbassist
My bad, the old ergodynes were luTHite, not lucite.
Although I have played another lucite bass, since I now realise it's that clear plasticy thing. It's heavy as f*ck. My mate was going to sell em his 5 string lucite bass for £450.

That's what I was thinking =\

Idk, this custom looks pretty sick, and he says that if I don't like it I can send it back in 48 hours after receipt. So I suppose I could try it out, then send it back if I hate it? Worth a try
Quote by yawn
Don't type in all caps.

Quote by jazz_rock_feel
That's one of Ben from TB's basses, isn't it? He's a pretty straight guy - if you shoot him a message he'll tell you all about it.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
My bad, the old ergodynes were luTHite, not lucite.

Yeah, I was about to say. As I hold my beautiful Ibanez Ergodyne 500 in my hands, haha. It was funny, because I used my Ergodyne and my guitarist used an acrylic B.C. Mockingbird. So we used luthite and lucite, respectively.

Anyway, on that topic, I always loved the tone coming out of his guitar. Those cleans were amazing. Rich is the word. But it's true - it is heavy as all hell. But really, if you get USED to that, it'll only make you stronger, am I right? And plus, it just looks beautiful (I think personally). In my opinion, if you can get that bass for a good price - and if the dude will let you send it back like you said - I think it's worth the shot. ESPECIALLY if you have another bass, so you don't ALWAYS have to use the acrylic. My guitarist switched to his Les Paul a lot, for example.

...Hope I helped?
Les Claypool
Geddy Lee
Robert DeLeo
Flea

Weileder

...Coincidence? I think not.
This bass looks like something you would do on a performance in 1 or 2 numbers berhaps with some Leds build in but not like being your Main bass.

In all honesty i never hold or played such a bass so i can't comment on weight or tone. These materials are prety roboust(?) so i think the risk of breaking it is the same as on a "normal" wooden bass.

I dropped my bass once before i got straplocks and nothing happend, i was lucky but if it would have dropped "face down" the neck could have been easyly snapped. Since the boddy is prety solid i doubt it will break easy. If you on the other hand use your bass like Stevie Ray Vaughan handled his guitar in "Third stone from the sun" on the El Macombo concert... well thats asking for trouble
To Be is to Do -Socrates-
To Do is to Be -Sartre-
Do be do be do -Sinatra