Ive been practicing religiously with a metronome, trying to gain speed, but no matter what im playing i seem to top out at the same speed which is about 4/4 200bpm 8th notes, i can push something like the chromatic scale faster, but nothing else.

Anyone!!!, what is your best advice to gain speed??? ive been stuck in the same spot for months and i cant seem to get out
nice advice, why dont you go jogging on the freeway so you dont waste any more of my time
Stop trying so hard, it takes a long time. Play at a comfortable speed and just increase very slowly from there.
Schecter Synyster custom

Washburn custom ( I remodeled)

Yamaha custom

VOX AC-30

Crate GFX-130-c

Morley Mark Tremonti Wah

How many vegetarians does it take to eat a cow?

One if no one is looking.
Quote by Graves.a.poppin
learn a song that's slightly faster than what you can play
and pu****

The ironic thing is, you were trying to be helpful, but you didn't press the space bar when you tried to say 'push it' (I presume) and so the TS thought you were taking the p*ss outta them!

Quote by DirtyMcCurty
nice advice, why dont you go jogging on the freeway so you dont waste any more of my time

he was trying to give a suggestion - not swear at you
~3.6 billion years of evolutionary progress have led to this post~
Speeds not that important, besides the fact that..
practice + a large length of time = eventual speed increase.
Have fun
LIFE IS TOO SHORT NOT TO LET YOUR MIND SPREAD WINGS AND TAKE FLIGHT

Quote by KeepOnRotting
+Infinity. This dude knows good metal.
Sweep picking( I do 5 string) helps alot. Chromatics, just teqnichues and alot of paul gilbert mixed pentatonics.
Schecter Synyster custom

Washburn custom ( I remodeled)

Yamaha custom

VOX AC-30

Crate GFX-130-c

Morley Mark Tremonti Wah

How many vegetarians does it take to eat a cow?

One if no one is looking.
You may actually be gaining speed and not realizing it, try playing songs that were too fast for you before and see how they work out now.

Also, too much emphasis on speed can cause the muscles in your hand to become tired and work against you. Balance your practice out for better results.
Quote by Lord-O-Donuts
Do you use alternative picking ?

like the pearl jam of the picking world
Speed is something that can only come with time. If you try and force it you'll fail, simple as that. You need to start slow to build up accuracy then start doing it slightly faster.
2004 Fender American HSS Strat
Hughes And Kettner Switchblade
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser FR
Epi LP Classic
Epi G-400
Yamaha acoustic
Boss DD-3 Delay
B.Y.O.C. MXR Distortion+
Vox Wah
Ibanez TS9 Tube Screamer