First let me say that going into any Gutiar Center and asking questions is always entertaining...

Now to the story....

So i go into gutiar center and talk to the pedal guys and ask if they have a Electro Harmonix Octave Multiplexier. They look confuse but yet do there normal lets check the computer. (I've worked retail before and after about a week i know pretty much ever product we have and then some, but yet these guys cant do anything without checking the computer.) So he comes back 5 minutes later and say's they do not but they can special order it. I state no that is ok i've had bad experiances with your stores already, twice i have not gotten my products in a timely manner. And he said what happened so i told him " I Ordered a fish and chips was suppossed to be in a week, purcahsed the m108 instead. 2 months later they inform me my fish and chips came in lol. Second one was my isp decimator. Dude says it will be here in about a week which im cool with. Two weeks later still no show, so i speak to the manager and they tell me well we have to place a order of 25 before we can order yours so it will take a while. Im like woooo that was never told to me and he stated yea we have some idiots that work here nudge nudge man these people cycle out of here like every month. I was floored.... I cant believe he admited that... But anyway they had one at another store right down the road so i picked it up there. A guitar center at that lol.

So he is like sir let me tell you we are the best Guitar center in the state knocking all the other guitar centers. So im like ok let me try out that Boss OC-3 but there isnt a cable so it take him 5 minutes to find a cable. Plug it in and the cable is busted, so im like um this doesnt work and he looks at me crazy.. Im like can your hear the popping and hum. So he gets me another cable and i test it out. Then ask the number one worst question you can ask, well do know of any good octave pedals. He was stumped for about 10 minutes ans was rattling off stuff and i was correcting him on what i was orginally looking for and finally came back with a Voodoo labs pedal and asked which amp i wanted to test it on. I said a Valveking and he asked who made it which caught me off guard but hey he is in accessories so i cant knock him to hard. So i stated Peavey and 10 minutes pass and he isnt to be found so i walk around the store over to the valvekings and he sees me from a distance and states ohh there they are you found them. Now this isnt a walmart by any means i can walk the whole store and see everything in like 30 seconds tops. So im like yea i found them and the starts to setup the pedal and he is adjusting all the settings on the amp for like 2 minutes. So he flicks the switch and im have my hand pressed against the strings right when i remove them the thing lights up and is ungodly loud so i immediatly put my hand over the strings again and its till screaming so i have to put two hands just to silence the strings. Immediatly react ans say dude turn it off, turn it off and he is freaking out and just looking for what to hit. So i move him out the way and quickly hit the standby switch. Im like good god man what did you have the volume at....................

(Now the Punch line)
He looks me straight in the eyes and says man i play fenders i didnt know... LMAO what in the hell does playing fenders make a defference a volume knob is a volume knob. He had this thing cranked to like 7 on the 212 100 watt beast... Even my wife who knows nothing about amps or guitars looked at him like a idiot..

So after that shining moment i sit down and make my adjustments and turn on the amp. And i start to jam and it cuts out and cuts out more so im like what the hell. So he leans over and wiggles the jack and its is crazy loose so im like okie dokie im just gonna leave now... And he is like i can get you another one, im like naaaa thats cool man yall are closing in a few minutes and he is like its cool were not gonna close on you so im like seriously due have a nice day and thanks for all the help..

This is all from supposedly the best store in the state lol....

So many great stories from these guys...
Last edited by IbanezPsycho at Mar 5, 2008,
AHAHAHA! That is why I don't shop at GC...
Quote by thrilla13w
The hotbar should be floating parallel to the principle axis at this point. Next, take a hammer, and beat yourself in the face while crying JIHAD. problem fixed.

Quote by Slaytanic1993
cowdude speaks words of infinite wisdomery.
Quote by IbanezPsycho
Now this isnt a walmart by any means i can walk the whole store and see everything in like 30 seconds tops.

In the music world, yes it is.

The funny thing is (around here anyway) it's almost impossible to get a job there and most of them still know nothing and only care about their commission.
...to give your love no matter what is what she said...
Great story and it just shows.....only retards and losers work at GC, i seriously hate the store SOOOOOOO bad
Gear:
1980 Gibson SG Standard Cherry Red
Ibanez TM-71 Talman Artcore Semi-Hollow
2003 Tom Delonge Fender Strat Seafoam Green
Traynor YCV40
I asked for an ehx micro pog and I was directed to a line 6 pocket pod.
Quote by Chikitty_China
Good lord. You are amazing.

Quote by Jestersage
It's stereo amp, and I don't think it's tube. However, for a stereo amp, it is very good. Don't plug guitar into it; just use it as hi-fi if it works.
I don't know whats worse, people who shouldn't be working in a store in which they know nothing of the products OR places that are really high end...and if you walk in there they don't give you the time of the day because they think you are just some poor kid, and in this place like that by me the price changes based upon who I eventually get to talk to me...they'll be like..."I think i can knock that down to about 600 for ya....and them I'm like...well will that guy give it to me for 500?"
Boo Salesmen
Never been to a Guitar Center, but I wanna go to one, just to see what it's like. Especially after hearing this.

: D
idk why, but the guitar center i go to is awesome..the guys kno what their talkin about
i go to the one in joliet, illinois
It's stories like this this that make me thank God they don't have Guitar Centers in Alberta (or if they do, I haven't seen any)
Quote by SG6578
Great story and it just shows.....only retards and losers work at GC, i seriously hate the store SOOOOOOO bad

Mostly. I feel it is my duty to add that this girl used to be the manager of the keyboard/pro audio department at my local GC. And she is as knowledgeable as she is good looking
...to give your love no matter what is what she said...
Lol I got hit on by these two girls that were running the desk where they stamp your receipt one. But ya anyways I go in there to get strings (this was way back when I just started playing) and I ask this guy what gauge to try and we talk some about what I play and he picks some so I am like sure you have to start somewhere. Anyways I swipe my card (not paying attention to the price) and go home to put them on and realize the guy got me a 12 STRING GUITAR SET INSTEAD OF NORMAL!! So basically I just payed extra for 6 strings that I will never use.

Bastard...
Quote by Flying Couch
Ken Stanton all the way!

AHAHA! Damn Georgia folks...
Quote by thrilla13w
The hotbar should be floating parallel to the principle axis at this point. Next, take a hammer, and beat yourself in the face while crying JIHAD. problem fixed.

Quote by Slaytanic1993
Most employees arent willing to put up with the crap big corporate run places dish out. They pay so low qualified people arent even going to ask for a job at GC. I dont think places like GC want qualified people. Idiots are easier to abuse. And even if you do manage to last a little while they will fire you when you make any decent money. Ive never been in a GC, went to a sam ash once. I got tired of having to ask what everything cost as almost nothing had a price tag on it. Did have a good selection of music books to dig thru tho. As long as you run the salesmen off to have some peace.
Quote by ltmusicman
Lol I got hit on by these two girls that were running the desk where they stamp your receipt one. But ya anyways I go in there to get strings (this was way back when I just started playing) and I ask this guy what gauge to try and we talk some about what I play and he picks some so I am like sure you have to start somewhere. Anyways I swipe my card (not paying attention to the price) and go home to put them on and realize the guy got me a 12 STRING GUITAR SET INSTEAD OF NORMAL!! So basically I just payed extra for 6 strings that I will never use.

Bastard...

Try Nashville tuning.
My Guitar Center has some decent employees, I've gotten pretty friendly with the manager and a few other salesmen. But one day they were short handed and I was looking for some extra work so I asked if they had job openings and a few different employees said yeah, they needed help pretty bad, but you have to apply online, the manager said he can't hire people himself.

Applying online is the biggest bunch of bull**** I've ever been through. Every place I've applied online has had some ridiculous, arbitrary personality test with abstract questions that have nothing to do with the job you're applying for.

So I don't know if I answered poorly or what but I never got a call. I went in a couple weeks later and saw a few new employees, tried to talk to them just to see what they were like and quickly found that they had no business even being in a music store, let alone working in one. They were idiots. Not only did they know nothing about what they were selling, they didn't have any familiarity with cash registers or anything.

If I could have just applied in-store I probably would have had the job that day and GC would have a decent employee.
Survivor of the St. John's Lockdown
Quote by SG thrasher

The thread-starter is a legend.
Seriously, who thinks "Shit, i'm gonna die, BRB, Ima' tell UG."?

Quote by The_Paranoia

Congratz man, you are a true, American Hero.
Go Schneiderman!

Gun Facts: Educate Yourself
I feel ur pain, this place is suppose to be a national chain where customer service should be a priority. Well let me tell you that I'm still waiting on the service. I go into our local GC to pick up an amp for my son who was just starting to learn. Well I couldn't locate the one I found online (which stated that had in stock at the store). Anyway, I see 6 people at there post, one guy playing with his ipod, the girl at the stamping station (which I wouldn't expect anything from anyway), a guy behind the accessory counter staring into oblivian, and three guys on the floor. One guy is playing his rockabilly guitar, one is watching him and the last guy walks by me ten times. I stand here for 30 minutes waiting for someone to ask me if they can help me, but I get nothing. I also work in the customer service industry and when a customer walks in we are right on it. I did't even get a "Can I help you?"

Well, I stood here for 30 minutes and that was long enough so I high tail it out of there. Get back to the office and call the manager. Well he's at some conference in Chicago or some place. So, I tell this guy my experience and he in turn tells me that they were extremely busy at that time. I said BS I was the only ****ing customer in the store. He then tells me that if I have a complaint the I can go online to express my frustrations to the Corporate Office. So, I did this and have yet to hear anything from them.

So, since I live in Fort Wayne, Indiana the headquaters for Sweetwater Music I decided to buy online with them. Ten minutes after I placed my order online I get a call from Sweetwater thanking me for my order. Also, the guy who called would be my personal representative. So, whenever I order or have questions this one guy will always be the guy I go to. Now that is customer service, my own personal salesman. You can't beat the service at Sweetwater, I've been to their store here in Fort Wayne and WOW! That's all I got to say about that.

Well I know it was long but damn how terrible can you be. What does that say for the process this national chain has to get quality service people. Let me tell ya, NOTHING.
Quote by Miggy01
I asked for an ehx micro pog and I was directed to a line 6 pocket pod.

lmao
Gear
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Ibanez EX 470 (1991)

Peavey 6505 combo
Vox Valvetronix AD15VT
Danville 1X12 Cab
Kustom 12w tube

Dunlop Crybaby
DOD overdrive(YJM)
Boss Ns-2
PodXt
Dod 250 Overdrive
No offense, but you people would bitch if they asked to help you every other minute or if they didn't. You should of just asked after a couple minutes. That said, Sweetwater is a damn good place, too bad they don't have any actual stores (at least that I know of).

Also on a side note, my GC here in Lancaster is great. The Harrisburg one really annoys me though, despite the fact they carry a lot more.
Quote by tyenser
I stand here for 30 minutes waiting for someone to ask me if they can help me, but I get nothing. I also work in the customer service industry and when a customer walks in we are right on it. I did't even get a "Can I help you?"

Either you're exaggerating like hell, or you're an idiot.
I'm kinda glad we don't have GC over here
"Make my funk the P-Funk, I want my funk uncut"
Quote by jambi_mantra
James, are you God?

Fender Highway One Tele
1985 Encore 335
Takamine EG523sc
Laney VC15
Vox V847
MXR M-108
EHX Q-Tron+, Big Muff Pi, POG
MI Audio Crunch Box
Yamaha DTXplorer DrumKit
+GODAMN 1

I prefere independant stores. I think its a nicer feel because you eventually get to know the guys and more often they ARE experience and know stuff.

Quote by tyenser
I feel ur pain, this place is suppose to be a national chain where customer service should be a priority. Well let me tell you that I'm still waiting on the service. I go into our local GC to pick up an amp for my son who was just starting to learn. Well I couldn't locate the one I found online (which stated that had in stock at the store). Anyway, I see 6 people at there post, one guy playing with his ipod, the girl at the stamping station (which I wouldn't expect anything from anyway), a guy behind the accessory counter staring into oblivian, and three guys on the floor. One guy is playing his rockabilly guitar, one is watching him and the last guy walks by me ten times. I stand here for 30 minutes waiting for someone to ask me if they can help me, but I get nothing. I also work in the customer service industry and when a customer walks in we are right on it. I did't even get a "Can I help you?"

obvious question..

why didnt YOU ask him?

all the local shops have a hook with about 5 cables on, some even have like a bin with about 10. and there are amps permenantly on and the staff are knowledeble like crazy
Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.
Quote by False_God
+GODAMN 1

I prefere independant stores. I think its a nicer feel because you eventually get to know the guys and more often they ARE experience and know stuff.

On the flip side, though, they can be incredibly snobbish. I've taken my MIM strat into one or two supposedly independent, boutique stores, and had the discomforting feeling of not owning a pricey enough guitar while trying out various amps, pedals etc. Sometimes in a bigger chain they're a bit more relaxed, albeit relaxed idiots.
Quote by Flying Couch
I know all my local Ken Stanton employees.

I don't go in there much, usually when I need tenor sax reeds or something like that. Just when I am up 41 because I live in Smyrna and usually shop at the Sam Ash, or my fav store ever, Atlanta Discount Music down in Chamblee. It is a hike, but it is worth it...
Quote by thrilla13w

Quote by Slaytanic1993
The one I go to (Columbus, Ohio) is honestly incredible. Everyone there knows their ****, even the few who don't play guitar have spent the time to learn SOME stuff.

I've never had a bad experience there, I'd love to get a job there but it's about an hour and a half away from me so I don't go often, let alone enough to work there.

A really good story;

Go into a small shop (locally run) and the kid at the counter and we start to talk. He starts bragging like hell, that he can play Satch and Vai stuff (I from other people he can't play, like at all.), So I'm like "yeah, uh huh". Then finally I asked for the 6 string guitar string set he recommended (oh yeah did I mention he plays 7, 8, and 9 strings?), and he goes over to the wall with this big sign above it saying sale ____ strings, so he brings them over, I look at them, and I'm like "dude, Guitarists don't use bass strings..". Can you say major facepalm?

His manager was there and laughing his ass off lol.
It's not always GC, sometimes samash too. I really dont like the one down by miami. bunch of weirdlookin ppl, but what can ya do :S
Haha yeah my first time to go to a guitar center was pretty funny. My grampa took me and he is one of those old fashioned ppl who thinks everyone is trying to steal your identity lol. So we are in there and he buys this guitar stand and the guys like ok whats your name. My grampa looked at him and says cash. Then the guy looks at him wierd and says ok whats your last name. My grampa says cash. The guy sits there with a bewildered look on his face and says Cash Cash? And my grampa says yea its a cash sale you dont need my effin information lol.
Ya they are not usualy smart I asked for a powersupply for a pedal and the guy said they didn't sell them so I looked at him for a minute and then grabbed a Dunlop Brick and said so what is this. His answer "that is a pedal brick not a power supply". But one of the guys I think he is a manager is real cool becouse he knows I know the price of most of the guitars and amps and effects most people use off of the top of my head so he never trys to tell me something that isn't true as far as prices go.

But one time I asked the guy do you have any esp guitars and he said no but if you go to pro music center across the street they have a wide selection of them. i laughed and said can you really tell me that. He just said no don't tell anyone I said that
First of all I'm not exaggerating, I wasn't standing in one place for the 30 minutes I mean I was looking around at stuff. It's just been my experience that when you go into someplace of business you usually have 2 or 3 people ask if they can help you. This is "CUSTOMER SERVICE", especially when your working with a commision based salary. And, secondly I may have not mentioned this but I did try to stop the guy that walked past me several times. I asked him if he could help me and he said he would be right back, then proceeded to walk past me like he completely forgotten I was there. I'm sorry if I did not mention that little piece of info.

As far as the Sweetwater store they do have one store in Fort Wayne, Indiana which is where I live. You can go in there and get anything, the store is attached to there warehouse that they send all of there online order items from. So rarely do you get we can special order. Unfortunatley they do not have several stores around the country because it is bar none. When u walk in they ask u if u have purchaced from them before and if u have they call ur sales rep. If not they assign one to you. I guess the benefits for the employees are beyond belief, they really take care of there people. They require college degrees from all there employees or at least a knoledge base of the music industry and then they send to there own educational facility to be trained in the area they will be working. So, you don't have the salesman that don't know what you are looking for when asked.

Hey if u get off on GC fine you know, to each his own. It seems everytime you post something on here someone knows better than you. The last time I looked everyone is entitled to their own opinion. I expressed mine, you express yours.
I don't know if this is funny to u guys but....

I was buying a new pedal in GC and a kid was playing the Simpsons theme on guitar.

I thought to myself "wow the Simpsons theme, but hey, he's probably a beginner"

And then a GC employee comes up to me and says "Lol that kid is playing the Simpsons theme" in a what a loser sort of tone.

I just look at him like
Quote by Asterion222
I don't know if this is funny to u guys but....

I was buying a new pedal in GC and a kid was playing the Simpsons theme on guitar.

I thought to myself "wow the Simpsons theme, but hey, he's probably a beginner"

And then a GC employee comes up to me and says "Lol that kid is playing the Simpsons theme" in a what a loser sort of tone.

I just look at him like

i at you for bumping a thread offof friggin march

*necroported*

noone be silly and post plz
Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.
that guitar center is EPIC PhAiL
Guitars:
'13 MIM Fender Strat - '05 Epi G-400
Amps:
Fender HRD - VHT Special 6 Ultra -
Jet City JCA20H - Mesa Rectifier 2x12
Pedulz:
Slash Wah - OCD v1.7 - Red Llama MKII -
Big Muff Pi - Carbon Copy - Phase 90 - Ditto Looper