Page 1 of 34
In light of the "Most Underrated Guitar Players" thread, I want to know who everyone hates/thinks is overrated. I'll start! (lol)

I hate, hate, hate Yngwie Malmsteen. I think he's sloppy, soulless, arrogant, and most of all OVERRATED. I hate that man so much.

Thanks for listening... or... reading. I wanna know who you hate.
Tom Delonge

WHY DOES HE HAVE A CUSTOM SHOP GIBSON SIG? Blink 182 SUCKS.
There ain't no moral to this story at all. Anything I tell you very well could be a lie.
Clapton, way overrated. SRV, everything sounds the same, or at least very similar.

Edit: ^see
Gibson SG Standard
Ibanez S2170FB
Peavey JSX
Marshall 1960A
TEXAS A&M
Quote by thefunnelweaver
I think he's sloppy, soulless, arrogant, and most of all OVERRATED. I hate that man so much.

I don't think he's that sloppy. I saw some earlier videos in which he was very sloppy, but some more recent videos though, are amazingly clean. Either way, you got the soulless and arrogant part right. I hate Yngwie too.
"There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life."
-Frank Zappa

"Where words fail, music speaks."
-Hans Christian Andersen
Kirk Hammett???? i mean he's good but there's nothing that he do at the time ( 80s ) that other guitarists in the same genre is doing or done better. how can he get more fame then Marty Friedman??? Still got love for Kirk tho for having a bunch of not too expensive ESP LTD sig that's really really nice...
Last edited by The_Last_J at Mar 6, 2008,
Quote by ebbbaaa
Tom Delonge

WHY DOES HE HAVE A CUSTOM SHOP GIBSON SIG? Blink 182 SUCKS.

A guy from Blink 182 seriously has a Signature guitar.... (I'm not saying that they suck, but I'm just saying that I don't think... ahh I don't want to hurt anybody's opinion, but I don' think he deserves... one... )
Quote by The_Last_J
Kirk Hammett???? i mean he's good but there's nothing that he do at the time ( 80s ) that other guitarists in the same genre is doing or done better. how can he get more fame then Marty Friedman???

I totally agree with that. Friedman blows Hammet out of the water any day.

On a side not, I hate Herman Li too.
John Mayer. God he's a boring player, and is such an actor on stage too. He's just putting on a show, not actually feeling the music.

SRV, while great, is bloody overrated. He's not the best blues player to ever live, not by a mile.
haha, i also see a bunch of Malmsteen flames, tho he is an asshole but in my opinion, w/o Malmsteen we wouldn't have all these modern day shredders ( ex, Alexi Laiho, the band Wintersun, just to name a few. ) so for what he done, i think he deserve the praise that he get. just my opinion tho... dont get mad!!!!!
Dimebag.

Zakk Wylde. Seriously, Iommi > Rhoads > Lee > Wylde is the heirarchy for Ozzy guitarists, dammit.

Buckethead.
Synyster gates - Why people think he is a great guitarist beats me.He lacks skill in his guitar playing/technique with ****tiest sweeping and generic solos.I'm not one of though people that hate A7x because I want to jump on the A7x sucks bandwagon.I was a big time A7x fan but then I saw what they really are.... generic/talentless band IMO.

You don't need to agree with me but that is personally what my opinion is.
I would say...

John Petrucci- Watched his famous rock discipline video and was like dear lord this is insane and this guy is retarded if he thinks i could do any of this. Then i watched the Psycho lessons overdub and it all made since lol

Synyster gates- Dont know why his name is everywere he is just your average guitar player and from what i hear on the radio and so forth he isn't really that good. Just average at best...

Zakk Wylde- The dude is insane when it comes to guitar playing and knowing different styles but there's just something about him i dont care for could be to much glam surrounding him...
Well, I'll catch hell for this, but IMO Jimi Hendrix is the most overrated guitar player of all time. Sure, he was an innovator and influenced an endless amount of players, but in terms of playing the instrument he really wasn't as great as people make him out to be, especially in his lead work. He was a great rhythm player and there are many valuable aspects to that, but his lead work is really nothing special.

In short, he was a great innovator of the guitar. Not a great player of it.
Quote by :-D
Well, I'll catch hell for this, but IMO Jimi Hendrix is the most overrated guitar player of all time. Sure, he was an innovator and influenced an endless amount of players, but in terms of playing the instrument he really wasn't as great as people make him out to be, especially in his lead work. He was a great rhythm player and there are many valuable aspects to that, but his lead work is really nothing special.

Thank you so much. I have never had ANYONE agree with me on that. I don't, by any means, hate Jimi, but I do think he's overrated.

+1
Quote by :-D

You do realize that Jimi is God's personal guitar teacher. If he catches wind of this, your done.

In all seriousness though, while his technique may not be very spectacular now that we have people like Steve Vai and Eric Johnson, he had soul and what can only be described as magic, sprinkled throughout every live performance.

On the other hand, maybe you're not fond of his tone? I'm not trying to disrespect your opinion, but the fuzziness and feedback doesn't give a good picture of Jimi's virtuosity.
Last edited by captainoid at Mar 6, 2008,
I will post the player, and the reason I hate them.

John Mayer: Douche, looks like an idiot on stage, hate his style when he sings (more like pop). He's a good player though.

Yngwie: Arrogant, really not that good.

Herman Ri: Uses sound enhancement pedal too much. Stupid solos.

Synyster Gates: Not very good, don't like his tone, and seems like a Douche.

Dimebag: Horrendous tone, overrated because he's dead. He is also fat looking. Ugly girlfriend.

not sure if those are good reasons, but I just don't like those players.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Quote by darkarbiter7

Dimebag: Horrendous tone, overrated because he's dead. He is also fat looking. Ugly girlfriend.

That made me laugh so hard. The last two reasons are... well... I don't know, but I sure did laugh.
Quote by sacamano79
Clapton, way overrated. SRV, everything sounds the same, or at least very similar.

Edit: ^see

i disagree....lol i guess im proving your point..ha

but my opinion is slash is overrated
Dimebag, Clapton, but most importantly, TOM MORELLO
Board:
Pitchblack - Fulltone Octafuzz - Hardwire OD - Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina - MXR Micro Chorus - Diamond Memory Lane Jr - EHX SMMH - Neunaber Wet
I have more up my sleeve...

Eric Clapton: Although a great player, and since he was a pioneer of rock, he deserves alot of credit. But, I think he has a bit too much. I don't hate him by any stretch of the imagination though, he's my 3rd favorite player.

Slash: Once again, great player, too much credit. Too much publicity too.

BB King: People claim him as "OMG, BB is the greatest blues guitarist ever!". I beg to differ. He's alright, but he's too popular and overrated in his genre. I think the other Kings were better, and I think Buddy Guy beats BB any day.

That's it for now.
I think players like Eric Johnson need more publicity (well, he was essentially unknown to the general public before GH3). I still don't think people are giving him the credit he deserves though. considering 90% (estimate) of the people who play the guitar hero series respect Herman Ri more than EJ. The other ten percent... I dunno, maybe pick up real guitar ??
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Quote by thefunnelweaver
I totally agree with that. Friedman blows Hammet out of the water any day.

On a side note, I hate Herman Li too.

^+1
My Gear
Edwards E-LP-98LTC
Ibanez RG 321 MH
Jackson DK2M with tonezone
Mesa Mark III
Tech 21 Trademark 10
Id have to say the players of Dragonforce for #1... Just atrocious playing live and totally inexcusable on all levels.

Slayer - Not choice?? Nope

Kirk Hammet - One of the worst comical vibratos in the biz and terribly terribly sloppy live. James was the brains of the operation

Joe Satriani - While the man is probably the best teacher in the world I find it amusing how everyone of his students have surpassed him haha. His best student Alex Skolnik is a perfect example just lays total waste.

Dimebag Darrel - He was at the right place at the right time, as a lead player I just don't see the attraction everyone had

Joe Stump - Horrible and laughable at the same time. No one hangs off Yngwie's dick as much as Mr.Stump haha

Trivium - People where playing the exact same things 20 years ago better and with more style. The sad thing is young kids totaly bypass the guys who came up with the licks and the credit goes to these kind of saps.

Kobain - Come on...

A few more just off the top of my head would be Page and Clapton a little overrated IMO I know alot of people will put Jimi in here but he deserves his dues... He changed the entire face of guitar in all ways.

I knew when I saw this thread it would be a Malmsteen bash haha. The funny thing is to me I wonder what you guys are listening to? I mean he did set the bar for the shred scene and the mans got a better vibrato then most blues purists who've played clubs for 40 years. Its one thing to not like his musical style but there wouldn't be half or more of these players out there without Malmsteen.
Last edited by Silky Smooth at Mar 6, 2008,
Eddie Van Halen sucks. hard. like a vacuum.
I have no opinion on this matter.
Quote by darkarbiter7

John Mayer: Douche, looks like an idiot on stage, hate his style when he sings (more like pop). He's a good player though.

Yngwie: Arrogant, really not that good.

Herman Ri: Uses sound enhancement pedal too much. Stupid solos.

Synyster Gates: Not very good, don't like his tone, and seems like a Douche.

not sure if those are good reasons, but I just don't like those players.

+1

Pretty much agree with everything in the thread so far, minus Hendrix. I believe he deserves all the credit he gets for making amazing music as a guitarist.
Quote by Silky Smooth

Kobain - Come on...

+1
Ibanez RG2EX2 (w. EMG 81/85)
Ashdown Fallen Angel 60w DSP Tube
Ashdown Fallen Angel 412 Cab
Herman Li. He's so sloppy and needs his damn pedals at all times. He really embodies the over use of the whammy pedal, theres not really any subtlety in his whammy pedal usage, its either off or on full dive bomb(or whatever you want to call it).
2004 Fender American HSS Strat
Hughes And Kettner Switchblade
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser FR
Epi LP Classic
Epi G-400
Yamaha acoustic
Boss DD-3 Delay
B.Y.O.C. MXR Distortion+
Vox Wah
Ibanez TS9 Tube Screamer
Quote by Serial 177
AGREED........ Damn everyone on UG is better than him... give your selves a hand guys... you deserve a signature guitar

Well if i made millions from selling ****ty albums i'd get myself a few custom shop guitars too, even though i'm no where near as good as the truly great guitar players
Quote by SnoopyKojiApple

+1

+2

Kurt cobain is the biggest load of overrated crap ever in the history of anything that's ever been invented. if he hadn't of died young he probably would of faded in to obscurity and ended up on celebrity big brother
Steve Vai - he has a sig Ibanez and with all the ibby fanboys, that gets him some fans
Tom Morello - can't acutally play, but he's good at playign with pedals and switches
Herman Li - doesn't know what rythm guitar is

Clapton way back in the early 70s and late 60s was a much much better guitarist
Him and BB King are more famous for their influence than their playing
Quote by init24
Steve Vai - he has a sig Ibanez and with all the ibby fanboys, that gets him some fans
Tom Morello - can't acutally play, but he's good at playign with pedals and switches
Herman Li - doesn't know what rythm guitar is

Clapton way back in the early 70s and late 60s was a much much better guitarist
Him and BB King are more famous for their influence than their playing

Actually as far as I know Tom actually can play, but almost everybody does shred, nei?

Quote by Zugunruhe
Eddie Van Halen sucks. hard. like a vacuum.

Good thing it's only an opinion.
Purple string dampener scrunchy.