i bought da epiphone les paul starter pack n it came wit a pretty dumb amp (which i expected) .. im just starting out .. but would like to mess around wit some differnt sounds .. im not concerned about volume level much cause i just mess around at home and i was wondering if i should buy a new amp wit built in sounds or just get a effects thing for my current amp .. any input would be appreciated
Go for an amp, without built in effects.
Unless your going for a roland cube, the built in effects are horrible.
So your best bet may be a roland cube.
If he's just starting out, wouldn't he want an amp with built-in effects? Let him toy with a Cube or dare I say a Spider. Don't invest too much into those. Find "your sound" then invest with care.
If you're not gigging at all and just want to mess around, get yourself a Multi Effects Processor to kind of decide what tone you're looking for and discovering sounds that you like. If you plan on gigging I'd recommend going with a nice tube combo amp then get pedals as you go.
Washburn WI-64
Jackson DK2
Randall RM100C
Digitech RP200A
Digitech DF-7
Digitech Phase Shifter
Boss OS-2
Boss Bf-2
Quote by Travis^Co
If you're not gigging at all and just want to mess around, get yourself a Multi Effects Processor to kind of decide what tone you're looking for and discovering sounds that you like. If you plan on gigging I'd recommend going with a nice tube combo amp then get pedals as you go.

+1
Quote by Travis^Co

Multi effects pedals usually cost more than a roland cube amp, which has built in effects.
Depending on the pedal quality obviously.
So would it really be worth going for a multi effects processor/amp, when he could get a better amp and effects?
There are cheap Effects processors out there, especially second hand. Digitech RP series for example and they have built in drum machines to help with timing. They're a lot easier to customise the tone where you have many types of delays, reverbs, amp models, pickup simulator, acoustic simulator, Wah, Whammy and a whole lot more. It's really personal preference really so it depends on what kind of effects this guy wants. If you just want basic effects like chorus, flange and reverb and you're not fussy about tweaking them then by all means go with the Cube. If you want Wah or any pedal effects go with a multi effects. Or if you want a super nice tone go with a small tube amp.
Washburn WI-64
Jackson DK2
Randall RM100C
Digitech RP200A
Digitech DF-7
Digitech Phase Shifter
Boss OS-2
Boss Bf-2
Quote by timmyinpajamas
i bought da epiphone les paul starter pack n it came wit a pretty dumb amp (which i expected) .. im just starting out .. but would like to mess around wit some differnt sounds .. im not concerned about volume level much cause i just mess around at home and i was wondering if i should buy a new amp wit built in sounds or just get a effects thing for my current amp .. any input would be appreciated

First off, no offense or anything but we use proper English on this site so people don't spend more time than they have to helping others.

I would recommend getting a Micro Cube or a used multi effects pedal. What's your budget and what kind of music do you play?
Quote by Vincent Vega
Haikus are awesome
but sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator

Quote by KissingShadows
People always tell me I solo like Zakk Wylde. Thats how I know that I suck.
thanks for everyones input .. i like to play pretty much everything i like music from every genre .. from the beatles to the eagles .. to muse .. to greenday .. n punk n rock .. my budget is 100-200 .. but would rather stick under 150 .. im not too concerned about the quailty of the different sounds right now as i would just like to mess around .. im still undecided .. but i think i am leaning more towards effects processor because i can play with more sounds .. what do you guys think .. i was looking at the digitech stuff
Quote by the spiker
If he's just starting out, wouldn't he want an amp with built-in effects? Let him toy with a Cube or dare I say a Spider. Don't invest too much into those. Find "your sound" then invest with care.

+grapefruit
bump .. any input is appreciated .. also i was looking at the pocket pod .. wat do you guys think