Page 1 of 2
i noticed a while ago that i can get very defensive very quickly about my bass playing, and it as a whole

liek the other day some buddies of mine were talking about it and someone said well its only bass its not that different if you can play guitar you can play bass...i gave him a really dirty look went up to him and was like....*uck you.....i tried to tell him the difference he shrugd me off.....

i think its from all the fighting i used to do with my drummer about playing my own lines and not roo tnotes and that same old song and dance

im always very short handed when it comes to bass

is anyone else?

when Moses brought down the plagues upon Egypt one of them involved Behringer amps

Dont be so humble, your not that great....
You can never convince a guitarist that the bass is hard. Never ever ever, end of story. End of thread.

check out all they videos on youtube
they dead serious about thuggin like that
if you ask me they are fruity
an i hope one morning they drown in there fruit loops
Quote by Wasted Bassist
You can never convince a guitarist that the bass is hard. Never ever ever, end of story. End of thread.

he was a drummer

haha

when Moses brought down the plagues upon Egypt one of them involved Behringer amps

Maybe it's because I have such an air of proficiency, such a respectable reputation, and just such a likable nature, that I just about never get any kind of flak about my playing bass. In fact, more often than not, I get some laurel wreaths for it.

But I don't let that go to my head, let me assure you.

But if anybody did start giving me that song and dance, as it were, I'd probably just write them off as ignorant and have confidence in the fact that everybody else knows I'm right.
Les Claypool
Geddy Lee
Robert DeLeo
Flea

Weileder

...Coincidence? I think not.
well most peoples assumptions from mainstream is that bass only really plays root notes. its just what people think.
I never get **** anymore either. Mainly because I punched my rythm guitarist in the stomach and told him to shut the **** up or I'd stab his fat, lazy ass. Or it could be because people like me. I used to get a lot of **** for playing bass too lol.

lmao....i may have sne thte wrong image....i usually dont get flak about it....ppl kno not to mess around with that around me, but like jsut when ever it comes up

Bullsht. I know some fantastic guitarists that don't know the first thing about playing bass. They don't know how to hold it, and they don't know how to get a good sound out of it. They'll admit this.

I think this whole "bass is easy if you know guitar" is a teenagers thing - or a mainstream non-musician thing. Proper grown up musicians know that this isn't the case. That, and instrumental metal players who think the guitar is the focal point, not the melody of the song (i.e. basses are there to support the guitar and give the guitar a fuller sound).

However, I must say... we as bassists are to blame as well. There are many, many root note pounding pop-punkers who fuel the fire of these teenagers' arguements.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
I think if you are a guitarist who knows any melodic theory, then you are easily capable of playing the bass with more than just root notes. With that said however it doesn't automatically mean that you can do the fingerwalk thing or get as clear and full of a sound as a bassist. I blame my favorite band blink-182 for this misconception to be honest.
why are you in a band with people who give you **** about your playing. besides if you can play guitar you CAN play bass. Thats nothing to get upset about. Its mere fact. Those instruments are near identical. The guitar is just one octave up and has 2 extra strings. Its easier to go from guitar to bass, than from bass to guitar. Its sounds like jealosy of a guitar players versatility.
Guitar vs. Bass.
- well we got 2 extra strings to deal with.
- bass isnt easy either but...learning guitar first then bass makes bass a lot easier!

Bass vs. Drummer
- what the hell does he know? bass is hard from a drummer's perspective
Jackson King V KVX10
Line 6 Spider III 75 W.
Peavey 5150/6505 Combo to be owned at the end of 2010.
don't take it too serious about it man. i was a prick before have to admit, i thought bass was easy until i pick one up and i realized how difficult it is. now i got mad respect for my bass player. my advice is, don't even try to argue or fight with anyone, because the more u fight about it, the more they think they are right ( how i felt back then before my third eye opened up and saw that there's other instruments other than a guitar ) because you are there arguing about it.
Bassists always take ****...the same guy in my band who openly says I, the bassist, is the best player in the band, still gives me ****...says off the cuff remarks, like, ah, u suck at bass, or, eh-bass is easier...
Quote by Baby Duck
why are you in a band with people who give you **** about your playing. besides if you can play guitar you CAN play bass. Thats nothing to get upset about. Its mere fact. Those instruments are near identical. The guitar is just one octave up and has 2 extra strings. Its easier to go from guitar to bass, than from bass to guitar. Its sounds like jealosy of a guitar players versatility.

Sounds like someone walked into a room full of bikers and called the leader a pussy. That staement was beyond the point of ignorance and I do believe that someone may have to cut you soon. The bass should not be thought of as a guitar that's tuned down. The bass is like a drum set with about 50 different drums readily avvailible in that it is part of the RYTHM section.

Unless your Les Claypool...

it's really not the extra 2 strings that we have to deal with that make the guitar better than a bass or learning guitar = bass. the six and four strings is just the theory side of the whole perspective. so it don't really matter by learning guitar first will make it better for play bass later. playing the bass is really a totally different thing than playing guitar, unless playing bass = one note pounding then yeah, but all the tricks and technics is different, how you fret is different, how you pick a note, how you want it to sustain is all different than a guitar. just saying i don't think the two should be mix together or neither one is easier than the other. and this is coming from a guitarist.
BRING IT GRAMMAR NAZI, i know i can't write or type for **** but BRING IT@!!!!!

also, i haven't seen a guitarist that can play the bass for 1/2 hour straight and still play it clean w/o buzzing....
here i thought i'd learn how to defend myself from sexual predators with my bass...damn ambiguous thread title.
taking crap comes with the territory...it's like being the funny fat guy everybody likes...people still call you fat...

but when i get crap for it, i just pop the funk on their asses...that usually shuts them up...
Thanks for defending us four-stringers J, but learn to type or someone around here's going to eat your babies.

Quote by Baby Duck

If you can tell me what those 2 extra strings are tuned to in relation to the string above it and why, and why the bass strings AREN'T tuned that way, then I'll make you look like a fool. Otherwise, YOU made you look like a fool.
Quote by genghiskahn87
taking crap comes with the territory...it's like being the funny fat guy everybody likes...people still call you fat...

So true... so true... coming from both a bass player and a funny fat guy that everybody likes
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
good one thefitz, show these ignorant bedroom warrior what's the deal. these are the people that give guitarist a bad name, especially in the metal scene.
Nope... he'll counter it with a bleeding-fingered guitarist raging through a flurry of unrecognizable notes.

Most of the drummers I have worked with have been rather great and supportive of bass players and visa versa. Yes, granted I share a house with one, but I do think that in some ways the bass is closer to the drums than guitar. I have yet to meet a drummer who hasn't picked up my bass and gotten a very competent sound from it, and one that is solidly locked in the rhythm. Most of the guitarists can't, and approach the bass with the mindset of guitar. (Which I did at first admittedly)

Most the drummers I know want the bass player to lock with them and not be yet another force that fights the beat that they set. They get enough of that from the rest of the band. If you lock with the drummer, you become the rhythm section invincible and can make even the average guitarist sound good

I am lucky that most of the guitarists I have worked with are great but do think most bass players are a bit odd (which is a discussion for another day and another thread). And if your drummer is not supportive of you or you have a difference of opinion, then maybe you've found the wrong drummer/ bass combo and need to find another drummer or perhaps, another band.
Quote by Narcotics
he was a drummer

haha

since wen did drummers get the right to say that crap my old drummer did he COULD play a guitar.........................and i could outshred our lead guitarist who he pretty much worshiped as a guitarist even the guitarist admitted that i beat him in battles a few times lol

so i slapped him and we booted him outta the band then the singer started then we ended the band now I'm in another band (im playing guitar as well atm but i did i learnt bass first)

but drummers don't have the right to say **** like that
I am me. Live with it.
haha....again... to everyone i wasnt really talking about my band...my band is great we worked thru all that **** back in the day we all accept and respect eachothers role in the band

and my drummer is like rediculus that what gives him the right to say that stuff he is the best all around musician out of all of us (all though were better at our own respective instrument than he is) he also teaches me alot of stuff with how to play drums which ive been doing alot lately which im not gonna lie is like super super fun

i meant like other little immature musicians who arent serious about it and just like go yea bass...no big deal
i think fitz is right it is a teenager thing.....or maybe its a immiturity thing

isnt this thread like... the same as 3 other threads I've seen in the past month?
Quote by casualty01
the RIAA can't shut us down, interpol can't shut us down. the U.S. gov't can't shut us down and CERTAINLY not YOU can shut us down.

BA in Music theory
MusicMan Bongo, SUB -> Orange Terror 1000 stack

Quote by waterproofpie
it's a UtBDan sandwich. Awwww yeah!
If the drummer can't appreciate a bassist, get out of that band. Let him see how it is to play without, or with a guy who doesn't know what he's doing. He's obviously a wanker .
I <3 bangoodcharlotte

Quote by humperdunk
one time i let my cat has cheezburger. i thought it was pretty funny.
People always joke about me being a bass player, so I joke about them being a keyboardist/guitarist/drummer or whatever they may be. We all take it light-heartedly and because of that, I can joke around with other bands at gigs too if they take the piss. I actually find the banter good fun, I have met a few people that really have been serious and taken it a little too far, but meh, it doesn't bother me, I can deal with it.

Also, every person that plays an instrument gets the piss taken out of them, it's not just us bass players you know.
Quote by Bumper
Looks like you had a big bowl of Downs Syndrome for breakfast.

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

Lover of Ashdown? Join the Ashdown Army!
Eh, Cliff burton did stuff on a Bass that I can't do on a guitar, same with Steve DiGiorgio...and that dude from Dream Theater...And they do it with their fingers.

They're two different instruments that are meant to fulfill different roles. It's like comparing a Violin to a Double Bass.
Quote by raise_the_dead
I wouldnt be surprised if the first thing Varg did was sign up for WoW so he could kick some Judeo-Christian ass.

Final Fantasy

Cid Highwind of the Final Fantasy Elite - PM me, Ichikurosaki, Gallagher2006, or Deliriumbassist to join!
Quote by RockerPseudonym
and that dude from Dream Theater...

John Myung FTW
Bass players are often the butt of jokes. This is partially to blame on, as someone said earlier, the little teeny-bop punk bands whose bassists (if you can call them that) stand there and play root notes for three albums. I think, and this is just a theory, your preferred style of music has a direct connection to the way you look at bass. For example, if you listen to a lot of mainstream radio rock, there's a good chance you wouldn't recognize a bass if I hit you with it. Which i wouldn't. Obviously, there are exceptions to this, so please don't come back and tell me that YOU can hear the bass in radio rock. You're on the bass forum. Presumably, you ARE a bassist, and we hear bass instinctually. Any who, if you are into, let's say, funk, then you more than likely consider the bassist one of the absolutely most important members of the band. If the bass in the music you listen to is just root notes, you will assume bass is simply that. It's not that these people can't appreciate bass. No, it's that their personality or environment will not ALLOW them to do so.

/rant

God, I need sleep.
"We are, each of us, angels with but one wing, and only by embracing one another may we fly."- Luciano de Crescenzo

Makes you feel good inside, don't it?
Jesus Christ, the bass forum is not your whingy blog space. Bassists have to put up with stick sometimes, we get it. But every one does. All these threads do is try and unfill some sort of victim complx, and gives the asshole guitarists a space to say "well, I haz like, a gajiillion more strings, so I'm better than j00. I can obvioushly play a bass coz I have 6 strings, and 4 is pish!"

On that note, sorry guys, it doesn't work like that. Completely different approaches involved.
Quote by Wasted Bassist
I never get **** anymore either. Mainly because I punched my rythm guitarist in the stomach and told him to shut the **** up or I'd stab his fat, lazy ass. Or it could be because people like me. I used to get a lot of **** for playing bass too lol.

What a great way to sort out your problems!
Ibanez SR505
Ashdown ABM 300 EVO II
Epifani UL410
I dunno.

You see, people respect me as a HUMAN being, as well as a bass player, because I don't take crap, I respect people and I have a good sized penis.

Those are the most important things, and because of all this I'm not defensive about my bass playing.

If anyone is... well...
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
I just laugh in their face. Apples and oranges, there's no point in arguing about the difficulty of different instruments. It's simply stupid.

But if you really wanna see a guitarist look like a jackass just hand em a six string.
Quote by Baby Duck

actually i believe is easier to switch from bass to guitar
bass is way harder than guitar(bigger frets, harder strings) unless you only play root notes
My Gear

Squier VM p-bass(i chosed it over a fender!!!) with quarter pounder and gotoh 201!!
fender MIM P bass
epiphone SG 400
Coming from a guitarist, I honestly think bass is as hard or harder to learn than guitar. Maybe you can play a few notes on bass sloppily, but still it takes a lot of practice to get good at bass. In a lot of ways bass ties the whole band together with its rhythyms and such.
Well, life is too short, so love the one you got
'Cause you might get runover or you might get shot
I know a guy, who;s been playing guitar for years, just got a bass
and my god he's awful

his fingers give uneven tone, constant buzzing sound, sloppy timing...

he's not that great on guitar tbh, but still, eurgh

wats worse, he filmed him and his "band" with him on bass and vocals, and its on youtube and his myspace....it's bad people

BAD

Point is, us bassists do an important job, with a kickass instrument

Quote by the humanity
I'm just joking Moog. you know nothing can tear our friendship apart, not even the fact we are miles apart, I am right there beside you, yelling, "Chug it, ya little wimp!"
Page 1 of 2
Recommended threads
Download
yumiRAWR
Last post:
by emad