Hey, so one of my good friends got a new bass for his birthday and he didn't want his old one so he just gave it to me since I was interested. I've never really played a bass I figured I might as well give it a try since it was free.

But - I'm left handed.

I'm quite ignorant I admit when it comes to the actual mechanics of a guitar. If I'm wanting to flip the strings I'm guessing I'll need to flip the nut and bridge too, eh?

So I was wondering if I could somehow get all that done with just modifying the nut and bridge I already have. Or if I can't do that, about how much it would cost to get done? Or how hard would it be to do it myself?

Also...Would I even really need to do it? I've flipped the strings on an electric before and it didn't sound too bad - and since the bass is just for a hobby would it make that big of a difference in sound?

Thanks in advance guys.
Last edited by Nirvlime at Mar 6, 2008,
it shouldn't make a difference. I'm not sure about a bass but I know it will work on a guitar. You would probably need to adjust the bridge a little to get the inotation right but other than that it should be very straight forward.
Quote by Nirvlime
I'm guessing I'll need to flip the nut and bridge too, eh?
You can't really "flip" the nut. the slots are angled down toward the tuners so the edge near the fretboard is the tallest point in the slot. Nuts aren't expensive, so replacement is a reasonable option.

If the bridge has individually adjustable saddles, you can exchange the positions of the saddles. Then readjust the intonation.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Quote by Nirvlime
Hey, so one of my good friends got a new bass for his birthday and he didn't want his old one so he just gave it to me since I was interested. I've never really played a bass I figured I might as well give it a try since it was free.

But - I'm left handed.

I'm quite ignorant I admit when it comes to the actual mechanics of a guitar. If I'm wanting to flip the strings I'm guessing I'll need to flip the nut and bridge too, eh?

So I was wondering if I could somehow get all that done with just modifying the nut and bridge I already have. Or if I can't do that, about how much it would cost to get done? Or how hard would it be to do it myself?

Also...Would I even really need to do it? I've flipped the strings on an electric before and it didn't sound too bad - and since the bass is just for a hobby would it make that big of a difference in sound?

Thanks in advance guys.

You could always try it out righthanded before you go through all that trouble.

Although I dunno if there's much of an upside to playing bass wrong-handed.
Quote by mckay21

dont do that. take it to a guitar shop.. theyll know what to do

and join my group.. lefties unite!
Quote by mckay21

I've already been playing guitar for 2-3 years left handed - I'm not going to start playing bass right handed.

But mmm, to Ultimate_Gio92 comment - I've been in your group for a while, lol.

There's a picture of the bass I just got.

But mmm, I stopped by some music store today and they gave me some guys number who's supposedly a wizard with guitars. Hopefully he's not too expensive considering I don't exactly need a wizard.

Thanks guys.
The bridge should be a problem maybe need to change the outer saddles depending. But a new nut will work better than flipping the old one. And you will find using a strap on flipped basses makes the balance really screwy.