Ive been researching around and i see that its popular to swap out the stock chinese tubes in the 6505 combo. any suggestions? if it help i play strictly metal.
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender American Tele

F/S:
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange PPC412
www.tubestore.com has a good selection, pairing service and good review of their products

i just got the 6505 and once replacement will come into play i was gonna go for the Tung-Sol tubes as they got a good review and seem to be the highest gain for the buck

i've gotten tubes from them before and it was a pleasent transactions if u need a place to get tubes from
Quote by the.spine.surfs
JJ 12AX7's. Power tubes arn't a huge deal in that amp.

What? If hes had the amp for a while he needs to replace the power amp tubes not the preamp tubes.
Quote by paranormal5150
What? If hes had the amp for a while he needs to replace the power amp tubes not the preamp tubes.

I believe he wanted to change the tubes to make it sound better because of better tubes, not because the old tubes were so worn out. Thus the power amp tubes wouldn't matter so much, because you're not gonna get power amp distortion anyway.
Quote by Lunchbox362
This thread if fail in almost every way imaniganable.
with the 6505 you have to crank the volume to a certain sweet spot to get a good power amp saturation. Thats when it sounds best. If you don't get it to that spot it just sounds dry. Really changing preamp tubes dont make a hell of a lot of difference. Its a very small difference. You probably won't even notice it.
If youve got Rubys, JJ's, or Tung sol's in it already or any conbination then just leave them in dude. It wont change it all that much. Could even make it worse and give you more microphonic problems. Only change your tubes when they actually start to deteriorate.

The peramp tubes wont wear out anywhere near as fast as the power amp tubes so changing those will effect your tone more when you do come to swapping them out.

Ive just changed all of mine for JJ's in the pre amp and Tung sol in the power amp. Sounds awesome but only because it sounded so ugly before as my old tubes were shot.
Guitars:
LTD MHNT250 (Bare Knuckle Warpig in Bridge)
AMP/Cab:
Peavey 6505
Marshall 1960A Cab
Rack:
Korg DTR-1000 Rack Tuner
ISP Decimator Pro Rack G
DBX 266 XL Compressor
Check out my band!:
Revenance
From Eurotubes
JJs
Full Retube for 5150/6505 Head - High Gain Option
--ECC83S-HG-K [4]
--ECC83S-HG-B [1]
--6L6GC Matched Quad. [1]

Sounds amazing
Esp Ltd Viper 400
Ibanez RGT6EXFX
Peavey 5150 II
Randall Jag Cab
Mesa Boogie Oversized Cab
Maxon OD808
Boss Pedals
Quote by Fama
I believe he wanted to change the tubes to make it sound better because of better tubes, not because the old tubes were so worn out. Thus the power amp tubes wouldn't matter so much, because you're not gonna get power amp distortion anyway.

Aggreed. Swapping in a differernt brand or blend of preamp tubes will do wonders for an amp with unbranded chinese tubes.