Page 1 of 2
can fast picking damage your picks? cause uh...

I don't think i'm not picking correctly but uh , I kinda practive alot of fast picking so I already wasted two today .

So, regardless of the pick quality,

can fast picking damage your picks or it's just me?
wasted two? as in they broke?

Ive never broken a pick in my life, it shouldnt damage your pick THAT much.

But still... they dont cost much....
My Gear
Line 6 Variax 600
Epiphone G-310
Ibanez RG350EX
81' Ibanez Blazer Bass

Line 6 Spider III 75
Line 6 POD X3 Live
Fender ToneMaster Mini
Boss DD-2 Delay
Boss CE-2 Chorus

My Band
Band MySpace!
Band UG Profile
buy buckets and buckets of picks. this is why theyre so cheap
dont take any guff from these bastards man

Quote by Fenderhippie69
I only smoke when I've been drinking and I only drink when I've been smoking.
Quote by BFun
wasted two? as in they broke?

Ive never broken a pick in my life, it shouldnt damage your pick THAT much.

But still... they dont cost much....

not broke but uh....

like the sides of them are scrap, like not straight, not shaped, like if you pick it will sound crushy
never damaged a single pick doing it.... but i guess it depends on what you use.

dunlop 1.1m here
Quote by kevC4
can fast picking damage your picks? cause uh...

I don't think i'm not picking correctly but uh , I kinda practive alot of fast picking so I already wasted two today .

So, regardless of the pick quality,

can fast picking damage your picks or it's just me?

I use the same Dunlop Jazz III's I bought when I picked up my Mustang. This was almost a year ago. I play relatively fast and hard, and they've lasted me. However, I used to use Fender lights and they wouldn't last so long, haha.
Quote by kevC4
not broke but uh....

like the sides of them are scrap, like not straight, not shaped, like if you pick it will sound crushy

thats only happened to me after prolonged use (months) of a pick OR those while doing pick scrapes on those fender picks...
My Gear
Line 6 Variax 600
Epiphone G-310
Ibanez RG350EX
81' Ibanez Blazer Bass

Line 6 Spider III 75
Line 6 POD X3 Live
Fender ToneMaster Mini
Boss DD-2 Delay
Boss CE-2 Chorus

My Band
Band MySpace!
Band UG Profile
fast strumming with cheaper picks will, distort or even snap them
I stick to the green dunlop tortex (can't think of the thickness right now) and I've never had one break.
I once snapped a cheap fender pick with my pinky and my thumb.
there just picks who cares. you can get a doz. of them for $3.
Im gonna pistol whip the next guy that says shenanigans !!!!
mmmm well im using kinda thin picks.... and uh maybe crappy but the guy at the shop told me they were good compared to some of the others in sale.

but they are like plastic thin thingys, not sure if they are "so good".

ps: just like that, is tremolo picking the same thing as fast picking?
fast picking can be any kind of picking
fast is a speed not a style
go out and buy yourself some Dunlop Tortex picks
whatever your preferred thickness
they rock
Quote by kevC4
not broke but uh....

I use 3mm Stubbies and they wear down slightly after about a week or so. After that, they last for a while longer untill the tip is completely blunt.

So, no, it's not just you
You've read it, you can't un-read it!
Well maybe its your picking technique. If the sides of your pick are wearing down before the center then you're probably not picking straight. That being said, go buy yourself a **** ton of picks and just stop caring about them. Or next time you get some gear from a shop just have em throw in a bunch of picks.
I have bags of 100 picks all over the place. Buy them off ebay for next to nothing. Who gives a **** if they break...but as a side note, i've not once broke a pick. I just lose them
ive snapped picks while shredding...haha and tremolo picking is plectrum suicide... seriously, do it for 20 seconds and look at all the pic dust underneath your strings
Quote by Hezix
Well maybe its your picking technique. If the sides of your pick are wearing down before the center then you're probably not picking straight. That being said, go buy yourself a **** ton of picks and just stop caring about them. Or next time you get some gear from a shop just have em throw in a bunch of picks.

well yea i kinda pick like that but only when i start to fast pick a string.

is it bad or it's just a different technique?

btw thanks for all the help guys, i apreciate it

btw whats the difference btw trem picking and fast picking??? i really dont get it
Last edited by kevC4 at Mar 6, 2008,
I was using Jaz III's and would were out a pick about once a week. I've since switched to the Ultex and they last about 3x's as long. I practice speed picking a lot also.
Quote by linksys24
I was using Jaz III's and would were out a pick about once a week. I've since switched to the Ultex and they last about 3x's as long. I practice speed picking a lot also.

mmmm yea i get it. ill try to get better quality picks then, less "plastic like"
Last edited by kevC4 at Mar 6, 2008,
I suppose it could. But they are only picks. When you buy picks just get like 4 or 5 boxes at a time. I don't mind when my picks wear out or break, I just hate when I lose them, thats why I buy a bunch of them, I always lose them.
2004 Fender American HSS Strat
Hughes And Kettner Switchblade
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser FR
Epi LP Classic
Epi G-400
Yamaha acoustic
Boss DD-3 Delay
B.Y.O.C. MXR Distortion+
Vox Wah
Ibanez TS9 Tube Screamer
Either you have a cheap, crappy pick or you pick way too hard.
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Bugera Users Militia. We are horrible people. With a sprinkler fetish.
~ BUM: For all things extinguishing

Rackmount Tube Amp Project <<< Updates!
My friend who assaults her guitar (she doesn't so much play it as rape it...she is a baaaad player) strums way too hard and wears out picks all the time. She uses Fender heavy celluloids and goes through a couple per session. I use .73 tortex picks and have never worn one to the point of unplayability before...I usually lose them after a few weeks, down between the keys of my piano (you throw em down without thinking and they slide down the cracks). You could just be picking too hard.
Quote by melbournian
My friend who assaults her guitar (she doesn't so much play it as rape it...she is a baaaad player) strums way too hard and wears out picks all the time. She uses Fender heavy celluloids and goes through a couple per session. I use .73 tortex picks and have never worn one to the point of unplayability before...I usually lose them after a few weeks, down between the keys of my piano (you throw em down without thinking and they slide down the cracks). You could just be picking too hard.

well i play with cheap looking plactic picks and uh when i play the G B E strings, the strings like... "incrusts" the side of my picks. Like if it was so thin that something would end up sticking in there. I tried going witout any efforts but fast and uh kinda does the same a bit. I tried the same kind of pick but a bit more though, its almost still the same but more endurable.
Quote by kevC4
well yea i kinda pick like that but only when i start to fast pick a string.

is it bad or it's just a different technique?

btw thanks for all the help guys, i apreciate it

btw whats the difference btw trem picking and fast picking??? i really dont get it

It's really no big deal. You might notice a small change if you clean your picking up a little bit, but the only thing thats really gonna suffer is your picks. Worst case scenario would be your pick edge getting jagged, and bein a lil rough on the string. But don't worry much about that.

Tremolo picking you're generally just speed picking the same note over and over, like:
-------------------------
--5-5-5-5-5-4-4-4-4-

Picking fast isn't really a technique it's just a speed. You're playing as you normaly would just faster.
It shaves the pick leaving dust on your guitar but I have broken picks before.Hence the username.
MY GEAR
Ibanez SA160QM
Laney HCM10
Squier Bullet Strat
MXR Carbon Copy
Zoom Tri Metal
Modtone Flanger(mini)
EHX LPB-1
Korg Pitchblack
Timtone acoustic
Quote by kevC4
mmmm well im using kinda thin picks.... and uh maybe crappy but the guy at the shop told me they were good compared to some of the others in sale.

but they are like plastic thin thingys, not sure if they are "so good".

ps: just like that, is tremolo picking the same thing as fast picking?

Are they the fender tortoishell picks? Those things break fairly easily.

I'd look into some Dunlop's tortex picks, they're made of a more flexible material, and if you break one you're really killing the picks man.

If you're playing metal you might want a thicker pick to begin with , say a Jazz III, or stubby pick.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
I break fender picks like crazy.

I bought one bag of 6 Dunlop Big-Stubbies about a year ago, I have used 3 of them, one of which I lost. One I keep in my pocket and the other is on my amp. The other 3 which are unused are still in my case.

The two that I've been using for a year barely have any noticeable wear on them.
Survivor of the St. John's Lockdown
Quote by SG thrasher

The thread-starter is a legend.
Seriously, who thinks "Shit, i'm gonna die, BRB, Ima' tell UG."?

Quote by The_Paranoia

Congratz man, you are a true, American Hero.
Go Schneiderman!

Gun Facts: Educate Yourself
My picks wear out fast enough,
but they're cheap, they can take a beating and last a while before they render them selves useless (Dunlop Nylon 1mm)
Doowop dooby doo doowop doowah doolang
Blue days black nights doowah doolang!
well is it bad if i pick too angled? maybe it could be that
i never broke a dunlop jazz III's but i broke a few fender picks.
Ibanez RG1570
B.C. Rich KKV
Jackson RR3
Jackson RR5
Ibanez S320
Ibanez S520EX
Vox AD50VT-XL
Dunlop Zakk Wylde Wah
Marshall 2203KK
Marshall 1960A 4x12 Cab
Boss ML-2 Metalcore
Coffin Case Blooddrive
+1 to the tortex reccomendations, those things DON'T break.

I've been using the same pick for the last month or so and it still isn't jagged on the edges, no matter how many pick slides I do. They sound worlds better than Jazz III's imo, too.
I break picks about once every week (or 5 days, close to a week) or so. Then again, I make my own picks and they are very cheap. But that way I can make them the way I like them now even though they break often. The "normal" picks (as in manufactured (Dunlop and other companies)) just don't feel right anymore. Anyway, yes sometimes picking fast can damage your picks.
Guitars:
Epiphone SG
Schecter Damien FR
Gibson Les Paul Studio

Amps:
Epiphone Studio 10S Practice Amp
Peavey ValveKing 212

Effects:
Vox V847 (NOT V847A) Wah Pedal
DOD FX55-B Supra Distortion
Last edited by Slash546 at Mar 6, 2008,
I've broken picks before. I pick really hard.
My Rig:
Gibson SG Classic (Heritage Cherry)
Crate V1512
Roland Cube 15
Dunlop JH-01 Jimi Hendrix Wah
i have had the same 12 picks for a year. the green tortex's and i have never broken a single one. i just lose them
yeah man i go through almost a pick a day they are not ment to last dont worry
i've never had the problem, although sometimes my guitar will catch fire during sessions of fast picking.

thread related though i use those like gray plastic duncon ones
Last edited by dannyniceboy at Mar 7, 2008,
I geuss so, because hard strumming can damage your picks... and snap them...
Jeff Buckley

R.I.P
Page 1 of 2