Sup everybody.

This summer I plan on building a guitar and wanted to toss a few ideas past the forum. I've got experience both in refinishing, wiring, and setting up, so feel free to mention particularly difficult or labor intensive stuff since I'm confident about my ability to learn and of people who are helping me to... well, help!

Ideas to consider:

This guitar is for Vai-type shred and oddness. I want something that looks cool and also implies the type of music I'll be using it for. Down the road I'd love to build a beautiful PRS-type guitar with a quilt maple top and blue-dye finish or something, but this isn't that build.

- Body design:

1) I like super strats, but hate V's. Things I really like: Ibanez RG, the "power jem" by Courtney on Jemsite, Jackson soloists... you get the idea. I'm open to cool ideas tho.

2) What kind of woods? I'm thinking Alder or basswood. I'd prefer not to go into Koa or something pretty because I plan on finishing it like a cathedral and wouldn't want to waste a nice piece of wood.

3) Pickguard: yeah or nah?

- Bridge: I'm pretty dead set on an Ibanez lo-pro edge. I'm totally into Vai/satriani and will be for a while, so this is kind of a must. Anyone with hands on experience with one? I've set up OFR's, licensed POS models, and the original edge but no the lo-pro. Should I consider the zr maybe?

- Inlay: Something sweet! FYI I love the JEM vine inlay, but that feels like copying. Ideas I've considered include similar plant life, the solar system (no...), some sort of cascading fire idea (with LED's? f'in sick), or a dna helix or something.

- Headstock design. Paddle (like kramer/jackson), ibanez arrow type, or reverse? Or something custom? I'd prefer it to match the body design. For instance, if the horns are uneven (like an RG) I like the arrow/pointed design. If the body is fairly symmetrical I'd be leaning to a more PRS/Music Man design. FWIW I really like the Musicman petrucci.

- Headstock logo. If I ended up using some of your ideas I'd def consider something referencing UG or the user who helped me decide. Anything interesting you all thought about at some point?

- Paint job:

1) Mirage/Color shifting, textured, design, image/scene, flat, swirl, or something else?

2) I have a graphic designer/awesome painter friend, so go nuts!

3) what colors? This all kind of depends on the shape and everything I guess, but just toss out ideas.

- Pickups/Electronics:

1) HSH or HH? I like the look of HSH and would like to get something approximating a quack in the middle positions.

2) Pickups that sound good coil-tapped are a must!

3) Loud and distorted. Think Vai in Giant Balls of Gold, Building the Church, or The Audience is Listening. Amps mean a lot and I've got a good one, but keep in mind that a Dimarzio Fred or Gibson 500-type is not what i'm looking for. I'm thinking more Evos, Super distortions, Tone Zone (maybe?).

4) Sustainer? ::biggrin::

4) Neat switching. Coil-tapping is a must, and phase switching is just ballsy cool sounding IMO. Really cutting, but noisy as hell. I was thinking master volume, master tone, 5 way switch, and two little 3-way switches. 5 way is standard: H, H-M, M, M-H, H. The switches would select series/coil-split/parallel for the humbuckers. The two knobs would be push pull for putting the pickups out of phase when in positions 4 and 2. Is that possible? I think so but haven't put too much thought into it. I figure I'd wire the pups to the 3-ways, then to the push-pulls for phasing... yeah, I think that works (in my head at least). Sustainer would obv require rethinking all this...

- Neck:

1) compound radius, if I can do it (haven't really looked into it tbh). Otherwise I'd go for a nice even 14in or 16in radius with some high frets.

2) Stanless steel frets? Or something else?

3) Ebony, maple, or rosewood fretboard?

4) Through-neck or bolt-on? Square joint or AANJ for the bolt?

Thanks for reading that crap. it was super long but I figured I'd toss out my ideas so if people care to comment they'll have an idea what I'm thinking.

Any more experienced builders care to share their past glories/failures? I have yet to build a full guitar from scratch, but I'm confident in my abilities, and I've got a few good people to help me out. Any hazards, general tips? Down the line I'll get more specific but right now I'm in the planning phase.

Thanks for reading...
Quote by bullets34
Sup everybody.

This summer I plan on building a guitar and wanted to toss a few ideas past the forum. I've got experience both in refinishing, wiring, and setting up, so feel free to mention particularly difficult or labor intensive stuff since I'm confident about my ability to learn and of people who are helping me to... well, help!

Ideas to consider:

This guitar is for Vai-type shred and oddness. I want something that looks cool and also implies the type of music I'll be using it for. Down the road I'd love to build a beautiful PRS-type guitar with a quilt maple top and blue-dye finish or something, but this isn't that build.

- Body design:

1) I like super strats, but hate V's. Things I really like: Ibanez RG, the "power jem" by Courtney on Jemsite, Jackson soloists... you get the idea. I'm open to cool ideas tho.

2) What kind of woods? I'm thinking Alder or basswood. I'd prefer not to go into Koa or something pretty because I plan on finishing it like a cathedral and wouldn't want to waste a nice piece of wood.

3) Pickguard: yeah or nah?

- Bridge: I'm pretty dead set on an Ibanez lo-pro edge. I'm totally into Vai/satriani and will be for a while, so this is kind of a must. Anyone with hands on experience with one? I've set up OFR's, licensed POS models, and the original edge but no the lo-pro. Should I consider the zr maybe?

- Inlay: Something sweet! FYI I love the JEM vine inlay, but that feels like copying. Ideas I've considered include similar plant life, the solar system (no...), some sort of cascading fire idea (with LED's? f'in sick), or a dna helix or something.

- Headstock design. Paddle (like kramer/jackson), ibanez arrow type, or reverse? Or something custom? I'd prefer it to match the body design. For instance, if the horns are uneven (like an RG) I like the arrow/pointed design. If the body is fairly symmetrical I'd be leaning to a more PRS/Music Man design. FWIW I really like the Musicman petrucci.

- Headstock logo. If I ended up using some of your ideas I'd def consider something referencing UG or the user who helped me decide. Anything interesting you all thought about at some point?

- Paint job:

1) Mirage/Color shifting, textured, design, image/scene, flat, swirl, or something else?

2) I have a graphic designer/awesome painter friend, so go nuts!

3) what colors? This all kind of depends on the shape and everything I guess, but just toss out ideas.

- Pickups/Electronics:

1) HSH or HH? I like the look of HSH and would like to get something approximating a quack in the middle positions.

2) Pickups that sound good coil-tapped are a must!

3) Loud and distorted. Think Vai in Giant Balls of Gold, Building the Church, or The Audience is Listening. Amps mean a lot and I've got a good one, but keep in mind that a Dimarzio Fred or Gibson 500-type is not what i'm looking for. I'm thinking more Evos, Super distortions, Tone Zone (maybe?).

4) Sustainer? ::biggrin::

4) Neat switching. Coil-tapping is a must, and phase switching is just ballsy cool sounding IMO. Really cutting, but noisy as hell. I was thinking master volume, master tone, 5 way switch, and two little 3-way switches. 5 way is standard: H, H-M, M, M-H, H. The switches would select series/coil-split/parallel for the humbuckers. The two knobs would be push pull for putting the pickups out of phase when in positions 4 and 2. Is that possible? I think so but haven't put too much thought into it. I figure I'd wire the pups to the 3-ways, then to the push-pulls for phasing... yeah, I think that works (in my head at least). Sustainer would obv require rethinking all this...

- Neck:

1) compound radius, if I can do it (haven't really looked into it tbh). Otherwise I'd go for a nice even 14in or 16in radius with some high frets.

2) Stanless steel frets? Or something else?

3) Ebony, maple, or rosewood fretboard?

4) Through-neck or bolt-on? Square joint or AANJ for the bolt?

Thanks for reading that crap. it was super long but I figured I'd toss out my ideas so if people care to comment they'll have an idea what I'm thinking.

Any more experienced builders care to share their past glories/failures? I have yet to build a full guitar from scratch, but I'm confident in my abilities, and I've got a few good people to help me out. Any hazards, general tips? Down the line I'll get more specific but right now I'm in the planning phase.

Thanks for reading...

This thread is close to moving to page 2 without a response ...

bullets34, you obviously thought long and hard about this future
project so I actually read the whole thing. Some suggestions:

A wall of text is counter-productive ...
even most patient readers will go

FRAT!!!

(FLICK Reading All That)
and

TBH, you seem to have strong preferences while giving the impression of zero confidence with your choices. I suggest that you specify what the build will definitely have and go from there.

Haha. Ippon is right.

I skipped through most of it, myself. Forget Evos, man. Go for Breeds. PAF tone on steroids.

And it's coil splitting, when you're using one of the humbuckers coils. Coil tapping is using less or more of the windings on a single coil.

If you're doing all this work yourself, don't do stainless steel frets. That's going to be a pain.
sometimes when we undertake a new guitar project, we don't have it all figured out right away, but we take our time and see where it takes us. Have fun. Sounds like you know what you want.
STUFFZ:
SAGA ST10, IBANEZ(s): '96 ZR140BK (korea), '96 RX20 (indonesia)
Danelectro Cool Cat CC1 Chorus
Digitech Bad Monkey
Behringer BX1800A (180w 12" aluminum cone)
FOR SALE: Fender Champion 110 (25w RMS combo 10" with tank reverb)
Sociology teaches us that when people say they dont know what they want, they really know exactly what they want, deep down.

I think you know exactly what kind of guitar you want, whether you admit it or not.
Surf Rock the World

'Shark Bait'
Coming soon.
Last edited by RazzRocket at Mar 7, 2008,
tl;dr!

Sort of.

Superstrat body, alder, 24 frets, round the edges (somewhat like a PRS body bastardised with an RG), purple/emerald green body. Trem would be nice, but complex methinks. HSH for the sheer variation you can get, and a toggle switch so you can use it as an HH in the middle pickup position.

/Dream guitar
Call me Callum

Current gear - 06 MIM Strat, '02 Epiphone Les Paul, Peavey Rockingham, Tanglewood TF8, BLACKSTAR★ HT-5 Combo, EHX Holy Grail, Boss DS-1, Arion SFL-1

Newcastle (and Port Vale)
Hmm, ok, points taken

- need pics
- need less retardedly long posts
- and yeah, i meant coil splitting and didn't realize there was a distinction with tapping. I meant to use them interchangeably

I like roy's idea and I'll see if I can mock something up in photo shop.

thanks!
I really wouldnt let some one else choose your specs for you (though I must admit I FRAT the post as well)

If you do, you will never be satisfied with the finish product, even if you dont make a single mistake, it wont be yours.

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
Wow forsaknazrael.... thanks a ton man!

I'm gonna have fun flipping around that site!
i love the DNA helix inlay idea, and i think the arrow style headstock is the way to go, thought possibly not a direct copy of the ibanez one. and i reckon a purple/green chameleon thing paint job would look awesome on this, i can actually picture it now. (if you dont know what i mean try googling tvr cars or something haha)

but yeah i kinda FRAT after that. just look around and have a play on kisekae. if you are this undecided you are definately a long way off building yet.

good luck!
Quote by Carljenk
**** everyone who died

Quote by whatadrag
necrophiliac
Quote by NegativeRespons
i love the DNA helix inlay idea, and i think the arrow style headstock is the way to go, thought possibly not a direct copy of the ibanez one. and i reckon a purple/green chameleon thing paint job would look awesome on this, i can actually picture it now. (if you dont know what i mean try googling tvr cars or something haha)

but yeah i kinda FRAT after that. just look around and have a play on kisekae. if you are this undecided you are definately a long way off building yet.

good luck!

It's a double-helix.