1.) In the intro, when I play the hammer-ons/pulloffs on the top e-string, the other 5 strings start to sound. Should they be muted, or should they be allowed to sound?

2.) In the intro, does Angus use any pedals to get the sound that he does?
When we are touched by a song, it is because the artist cannot hide himself. ~Leonard Cohen
Hey there mate.

1) Angus doesn't use the other 5 strings to get his starting sound. The only time he picks anything is to start the first hammer-on/pull-off motion. The rest is just him going nuts with the hammer-ons and pull-offs (of course he picks every time he goes from 4-7 and 5-8). Also you'll find that the intro isn't played on the E string, it's played on the B string just below it, though same frets.

2) Pretty sure Angus doesn't use any pedals. Malcolm may be plucking at some point though I haven't watched him.
Oh, yeah? HOW ABOUT I TEAR YOUR SPINE OUT?!

-Gear-
Epiphone G-400 Vintage SG
Marshall MG Series 30DFX.
ESP LTD AX-400 (My baby)
Thanks for that.

Why does he pick the first note of each hammer-on/pull-off sequence rather than just hammer-on?
When we are touched by a song, it is because the artist cannot hide himself. ~Leonard Cohen
It keeps the note really really strong. As godlike as we know Angus is, the guitar is after all just a mortal weapon.

-Gear-
ESP LTD AX-400 (My baby)
Should I mute the E, A, D and G strings with my right hand to stop them from vibrating or should I allow them to vibrate?
there are no hammer-ons or pull-offs in the intro to thunderstruck. in the music video he does it all with left hand tapping but if you listen, you can still hear it's picked. if you watch a live video you can see how he plays it. you can play with the hammer-ons and pull-offs if you want (i do) but if you want to play it right, then you have to pick it.
Last edited by stwb at Mar 6, 2008,
^ Stwb, Angus Young plays it with a hammer on and a pull off the whole time except when playing the starting note in a new sequence.

E, A, D, and G will not vibrate with time. For now just concentrate on getting your hand very precise on B and they won't vibrate at all.

-Gear-
ESP LTD AX-400 (My baby)
Thank you very much for your help.
Not a problem mate.

-Gear-
ESP LTD AX-400 (My baby)
Quote by WolfenGuitarist
^ Stwb, Angus Young plays it with a hammer on and a pull off the whole time except when playing the starting note in a new sequence.

he really doesn't though. youtube it and watch one of the live videos.
Quote by stwb
he really doesn't though. youtube it and watch one of the live videos.

Watch a different video. Sometimes, he picks it. Sometimes, he doesn't.
Click for charity.

Pidgeot of the Pokemon Club
PM Calebrocker to join.

92% of UGers jump on annoying bandwagons. Don't put this in your sig if you're one of the 8% with an opinion.
I've seen concerts of him picking most of it. I believe when I saw them in concert he picked it.
He also hammer on pull-offs so I guess its whatever mood he's in. Hammer on look cooler though.
When they recorded it, Angus put tape on the other strings to deaden that unwanted ringing sound.
"Ultimate"-Guitar is the worst website on the internet. Polluted with unintelligent mongoloids.
On the original recording of the song, Angus picked every note. Live, he will alternate between picking and hammer/pull.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
1) Aren't the hammer ons and pull-offs on the B string?
2) I don't think Angus uses any effects at all, but he picked the thing in studio.
Quote by Sabbath89
When they recorded it, Angus put tape on the other strings to deaden that unwanted ringing sound.

I have heard this before. Mr Young certainly was a thinker.

Also, to finalise this annoying "yes he did, no he didnt, Yes he did" thread,

In the Live performances, he DOES hammer on/pull off, but picks the first note each time. in recordings he dosent need to so thats why it sounds tapped
Music is an art form that celebrates potential. So long as you're looking for it, you'll always find it.
Ive seen film of him just doing Hammer ons and Pull offs with his right hand in the air.
and ive seen films of him picking.
maybe it depends on what kind of mood hes in?
Angus only does hammer ons and pull offs, no picking. Ever seen him do it? He holds one hand in the air (picking hand), and the rest is tapping. I personally can't do it without hitting the other strings (although I haven't practiced that song alot), but I usually just use my picking hand to deaden all other strings except the string I'm playing on.