I am looking into buying my very first electric guitar, (only played on acoustic till now), my price range is around 400, but I also want something to last am. I have my own amp, so what additional gear do I need with the guitar???
(I also don't mind buying a second hand guitar)
Epiphone Les Paul or Ibanez RG of some sort and a decent distortion pedal
Gear:

Gibson Les Paul Standard Goldtop 50's Neck
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Cherry Sunburst
Line 6 Spider 3 150
Line 6 Pocket POD

Member #23 of the Les Paul owners club, pm Waterboy799 to join
for $400 i am guessing that you would get an okay first hand guitar, or a decent second hand guitar. your choice depends on what sound you want, of course. if you have a good amp then your guitar will sound better.

if it were me, i would save up some more and get a really good guitar - that will last for a very long time. if i absolutely had to buy one now with $400, i would go for an epiphone. the cheaper strats and ibanezes i have played have all been crap, with fret buzz especially pronounced.

you may be able to get a good second hand guitar for $400, but for that money you should expect to have to modify it in some places to suit your playing.

as for additional gear, that is up to you. no one else can tell you what you need, so just get a guitar first and see if you think, "hey, i really need ten wah pedals and five OD pedals for the different sounds i want".

my ultimate advice is to save up, get a fender or gibson, and then get a valve amp if your amp is not already a valve amp.
Does anyone remember laughter?

Manuel, please try to understand before one of us DIES.

my gear:

Gibson LP Standard
Epiphone SG
Classical guitar
Peavey ValveKing 112
Marshall MG15
BOSS ME-50
well for my music preference i like metal, some old school rock, i love alternative and i would like to have a guitar that suits these kind of tones (especially metallica's tones). and about fenders... do u think they are good??? cause i can get one second hand for decent price
I think for your music a non-customized fender isn´t the best choice, watch out for ESP or Ibanez imo
Any Ibanez RG
C4C
Please check out some of my original music and leave me a comment @ SoundCloud
(or in my profile!)

Progressive|Thrash|Math|Metal
Quote by Jyscal
well for my music preference i like metal, some old school rock, i love alternative and i would like to have a guitar that suits these kind of tones (especially metallica's tones). and about fenders... do u think they are good??? cause i can get one second hand for decent price

Fenders are great, you can always install a humbucker in the bridge for more versatility if you want. What model is it and how much can you get it for?

((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((()
Quote by Megallica Dude
Jackson js series.

A Jackson JS might be a good choise for a first guitar

(Go for the Kelly! )
C4C
Please check out some of my original music and leave me a comment @ SoundCloud
(or in my profile!)

Progressive|Thrash|Math|Metal
go for a second hand charvel model series
My Gear
Edwards E-LP-98LTC
Ibanez RG 321 MH
Jackson DK2M with tonezone
Mesa Mark III
Tech 21 Trademark 10
Quote by CroneR
Fenders are great, you can always install a humbucker in the bridge for more versatility if you want. What model is it and how much can you get it for?

http://www.souq.com/item.php?id=2592106&dont_switch_to_motors_site=1&list=search&pos=34&search_keys=guitar&page=2&list_cat_id=&dont_switch_to_motors_site=1

this is the guitar i found and it almost costs $220 and it seems like its in a good condition.... i love fenders, my first guitar was actaully a fender acoustic, but there is many ppl out there trash talkin fenders untill it got into my head that they might be bad guitars after all (although i still have my fender and i still love playing it)
You don't want a squire. Squire is a sub-company of Fender which produces lower quality guitars. If you can find a real fender, not squire, they are really good guitars. The people who dis them are usually metal heads who think anything without active EMGs suck. So many of the greatest guitarists have used Fenders.

edit- Where are you from? That site seems really weird.

Quote by CroneR

hahaha i thought u might find the site wierd.... well am livin currently in dubai, united arab emirates. about fenders. how to check if they are original fenders or not?? does it actually say squire on the label
Yeah on the headstock it will say either Squire or Fender. If it says Fender, it will say "made in mexico" or "made in America" underneath the logo. I think they also are made in Japan. But yah, definitely do not get one that says SQUIRE on the headstock.

Ibanez SA series.Very versatile and cheap.
MY GEAR
Ibanez SA160QM
Laney HCM10
Squier Bullet Strat
MXR Carbon Copy
Zoom Tri Metal
Modtone Flanger(mini)
EHX LPB-1
Korg Pitchblack
Timtone acoustic
Quote by CroneR
You don't want a squire. Squire is a sub-company of Fender which produces lower quality guitars. If you can find a real fender, not squire, they are really good guitars. The people who dis them are usually metal heads who think anything without active EMGs suck. So many of the greatest guitarists have used Fenders.

or people who prefer gibsons and are kinda obsessed with that.
Personally I prefer Les Paul tones for most things I listen to and want to make but Strats have their use and are great instruments.
Gear
Gibson Les Paul std faded, Godin LG
Marshall jcm900
Keeley ds1, maxon od808, boston tu500, RMC Wizard
I very much recommend the Epi LP Standard, have one myself. As a beginners guitar it's very good, I think it's better than the Fender Strats for about the same price. But that's my personal opinion and it may be wrong.
Quote by Jyscal

then go for something with humbuckers -- i've got an epiphone SG and it is really good for the money, although the epiphone LPs i thik are better, albeit more expensive. why dont you go into your guitar shop and ask them for their advice?
Does anyone remember laughter?

Manuel, please try to understand before one of us DIES.

my gear:

Gibson LP Standard
Epiphone SG
Classical guitar
Peavey ValveKing 112
Marshall MG15
BOSS ME-50