Now that I'm having a term break (it's a short one) from school, I decided to mod my SX strat. Don't have any photos of it right now, but it basically looks like an standard SSS strat. It has a light lime-green solid finish and white pickguard.

I was thinking of giving it a new paintjob so it'll look like this:

I also am gonna add in a killswitch and a "neck pup on" switch to it.

What do you guys think? Any other simple mods I should attempt?

Thanks.
SX Stratocaster
Fina Acoustic
J&D Telecaster
Yamaha ERB 300 (Bass)

Digitech Bad Monkey
VisualSound H2O
Ibanez TL5
Boss DS-1
Vox V847

Kustom Dart 10FX
Laney RB1
i love it! BUT the decal on the body will wear off quick as, espesh if you play it hard, or even with general time. Depending on what you're using, should look ok(Y) loving the pickguard. Give more details
Quote by mr_sinistah
i love it! BUT the decal on the body will wear off quick as, espesh if you play it hard, or even with general time. Depending on what you're using, should look ok(Y) loving the pickguard. Give more details

Thanks! For the decal I'm actually gonna sand down the finish slightly, spraypaint it on and then clearcoat it. From what I've read, it *should* work.

Quote by Silky Smooth
I would give the headstock some treatment too!

Yeah, I was thinking of painting it the same colour as the body, but that depends if I can find the right coloured paint.

Oh, and if I have the cash, I'll probably get some locking tuners for it.
SX Stratocaster
Fina Acoustic
J&D Telecaster
Yamaha ERB 300 (Bass)

Digitech Bad Monkey
VisualSound H2O
Ibanez TL5
Boss DS-1
Vox V847

Kustom Dart 10FX
Laney RB1
Use Paint for Plastic for the PG. It forms a "molecular bond" with the plastic (according to the manufacturers) so it doesn't peel. Krylon, RustOLeum, bigbox DIY store brands usually go from $4-6/can. Mine have been bullet-proof, so far.

Quote by matthewchj
Thanks! For the decal I'm actually gonna sand down the finish slightly, spraypaint it on and then clearcoat it. From what I've read, it *should* work.

Yeah, I was thinking of painting it the same colour as the body, but that depends if I can find the right coloured paint.

Oh, and if I have the cash, I'll probably get some locking tuners for it.

That'd look great man with the headstock painted!
Did quite a bit of work today... Stripped the guitar and worked on the neck pup switch. Can't really do much for the finishing and killswitch, as I still haven't bought the parts for those yet.

Here's a pic of the original guitar:

Yes, it's on my bed.

Pickguard removed

Soldered wires to switch for neck pup. I really need to work on my soldering skills!

Drilled holes in the pickguard for the switch

Used files to widen hole

Dry fit of switch. Fits perfectly!
SX Stratocaster
Fina Acoustic
J&D Telecaster
Yamaha ERB 300 (Bass)

Digitech Bad Monkey
VisualSound H2O
Ibanez TL5
Boss DS-1
Vox V847

Kustom Dart 10FX
Laney RB1
hey im thinknng about doing some mods to one of these too. do you know if they take standard fender strat parts? like a pickguard or neck?
if it were mine, i would get rid of the lime green. maybe a nice cherry red?
Gear:

Guitars:
BC Rich Warlock
Dean 88
ME682-In Progress
Amps:
Carvin SX300
Etc:
Clayton 1.0mm picks
Planet Waves cables.
Wow. not the neck pickup switch I was expecting......hope it goes well for you, man.
Do YOU know who Les Paul is?

Guitars:
-Epiphone Dot Studio
Amps:
-Fender Stage 112 SE
Effects:
-BBE Soul Vibe
-Boss OD-1 Overdrive
-Ibanez DE-7 Delay
yer man, shield it. How good is your neck? THis could be pretty kickass if the neck is sweet, decent low, no buzzage.

And yes, the clearcoat is a grand idea, i though you were some cheapo who was gonna draw it on with a marker:P haha best of luck!!
Thanks for the comments, guys!

Quote by echofreak
hey im thinknng about doing some mods to one of these too. do you know if they take standard fender strat parts? like a pickguard or neck?

I'm not realy sure, but they do look very similar.

Quote by abyssspecter
if it were mine, i would get rid of the lime green. maybe a nice cherry red?

Yeah, but personally I quite like the colour

Quote by Moe.
I'd replace the nut, tuners, maybe the bridge, and the pickups.

I most likely will be replacing the tuners. Maybe the bridge, if I can find extra cash. But how difficult is it to replace the nut?
SX Stratocaster
Fina Acoustic
J&D Telecaster
Yamaha ERB 300 (Bass)

Digitech Bad Monkey
VisualSound H2O
Ibanez TL5
Boss DS-1
Vox V847

Kustom Dart 10FX
Laney RB1
Last edited by Silky Smooth at Mar 8, 2008,
Decided to try to scallop my higher frets according to this tutorial...

http://www.projectguitar.com/tut/scalloped.htm

Haven't exactly started yet... Hoping that I don't screw my fingerboard up!
SX Stratocaster
Fina Acoustic
J&D Telecaster
Yamaha ERB 300 (Bass)

Digitech Bad Monkey
VisualSound H2O
Ibanez TL5
Boss DS-1
Vox V847

Kustom Dart 10FX
Laney RB1
Went shopping today...

Bought Dunlop Lemon Oil, Dunlop Straplocks, box of gauge 10 strings and box of heavy gauge picks.

Polished random bits of metal hardware, and attached Straplocks to guitar. It's insanely hard to fix the strap part of the locking system to the strap!

Also I scalloped my frets today. Wasn't that difficult, actually. I now have a custom neck with hand-scalloped 18th-21st frets!

Can't get photos up, Flickr is screwing up on me. I'll post them soon, promise.
SX Stratocaster
Fina Acoustic
J&D Telecaster
Yamaha ERB 300 (Bass)

Digitech Bad Monkey
VisualSound H2O
Ibanez TL5
Boss DS-1
Vox V847

Kustom Dart 10FX
Laney RB1
hey bro.

guys like you realy inspire me ae. your modn ur guitar on a mean budget and going hard. and wats even beta is that ur modin it 2 wat u want not wat urv seen som1 else do.

i hope this works out 4 ya bro...and im guna keep cheakin the forum.

P.S. I LOVE that switch u chose...i rekn it looks wiked!
My Gear...

*1967 Flying V Alpine White "Kimberley"
*Squire Bullet Strat "Jess"
*Peavey VK112
*Boss ME-50
*Sh*tty Jap tele copy to become my "hard rock" project esquire ill make a thread soon....