Hi all,
i read the various stickies and ran some searches, so i hope i'm not asking some taboo' questions or anything, BUT:

I'm part of a band, gigging, playing anything in soft, alternative and heavy rock. I also personally play a lot of solo mellow pieces (Joe Satriani, Phillop Keagy and Jimi Hendrix are all favourites.)
I'm bound to make a few mistakes per song, and have yet to play a solo with every note crisp and clean.
I have a Yamaha Pacifica electric guitar,
and i do both finger picking and standard (with a pick.)

My budget is 600 AU$, i was looking at a 120watt CRATE amp today which sounded nice but i've done the research and that one has some pretty negative feedback over the place.

Any thoughts? Amps that leap into mind? "This amp would be PERFECT for you!!" I would love.
Or any feedback at all, as i said i'm not experienced with music equipment and would appreciate any help at all.

Thanks everyone.
- David
You should probably go for a tube amp. I can't really suggest anything because I have only owned the Fender Blues Deluxe and it is $700 usd. There are some tube amps for 200-400 price range, but what exactly is 600 aus in usd?

((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((()
600 aus is not too much since everything is so damn expensive in Australia.
Quote by Lunchbox362
This thread if fail in almost every way imaniganable.
CRATE has given me nothing but bad experiences. I recomend Peavey, Marshall, Mesa, or Orange amps.
Out here you've gotta know where your towel is!
Pricing sucks in Australia. Seems like 5W combos just about bust your budget. My first thought is to suggest you save more and buy used. We're certainly not going to be able to hook you up with a brand new gigging amp that sounds even decent for the amount of money you have.

I'd suggest you look into Legacy brand amps. They're re-branded Epiphones by all accounts, and look to be the best bang for your buck in Australia. If you have access to a speaker cab, or can find one dirt cheap, something like the Legacy Hammerhead could be a decent amp for you for years to come. Again a little over budget would be the Legacy Blues Twin, which is a decent combo with enough power for gigs. You really don't want to go below 30W.

Good luck.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Thanks alot for prompt and helpfull advice :O

What if i were to order an amp from US (where i assume pricing is better?) I don't mind waiting to save up, but in the meantime i'm really looking to zero in on the exact brand/model i should be aiming for.

I did love the reverb and 3 channels on the 120w crate. similar amps that are better quality and longer lasting?
I think you'd get killed in shipping costs.

Most tube combos come with reverb you'll find yourself prefering to the Crate's. Don't get hung up on three channels. Put an OD pedal in front of a two-channel amp, and you have more options.

A 50W tube amp will sound about as loud as a 120W SS amp, too.

Not knowing what's available there, I'd say you want some sort of jack-of-all-trades combo. Something like a Peavey Classic, or a Traynor YCV. Or a Valveking for less money than those.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
^ They also make a 50W 1x12 model for less money, but it seems like Australians always want bigger amps...

But yeah, that's the one I'm talking about. It'll get heavier than the Epi knockoffs on it's own.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.