So I'm a bit of a newb in terms of music theory, and I was wondering:

What's the term for half an octave? My friend and I are discussing raking/sweep picking exercises, and I'm trying to show him how to rake only half way up an arpeggio, and I could not for the life of me think of the term for the half way point.

It wouldn't be a half step would it? Watch it be something I knew, then I'll feel like an ass lol
Send this to you my master...
Here's to getting worse,
hope it kills you faster...
Show me how it hurts to rot from the inside out...
This vigil burns until the day our fires over take you,
Our father we forsake you.
Tritone/Diminished 5th/Augmented 4th
Edit: Looking back I don't think that answers your question, I saw what is the term for half an octave, so I said what is half way, however I don't think thats the exact answer you were looking for
Half an octave is a perfect fourth, but that's probably not what you're asking for
My Rig:

+Epiphone AJ100 acoustic
+Fender 60th. Anniversary Stratocaster
+Vox AD30VT
+Vox V847a Wah

look all i wanted was for someone to give me advice on what to do not to slag me off ok

Want advice? Suck yourself off.
sh*t, you're right mate 0.o

mah bad
My Rig:

+Epiphone AJ100 acoustic
+Fender 60th. Anniversary Stratocaster
+Vox AD30VT
+Vox V847a Wah

look all i wanted was for someone to give me advice on what to do not to slag me off ok

Want advice? Suck yourself off.
Post the arpeggio is coded tab. Please put the half you want to play in bold text. Quote my post to figure out what I mean.

e----------------------5-8------------
B------------------5-8----------------
G-------------5-7---------------------
D---------[B]5[/B]-[B]7[/B]-------------------------
A-----[B]5[/B]-[B]7[/B]-----------------------------
E-[B]5[/B]-[B]8[/B]---------------------------------
intervals ftw, probably a tritone
Quote by beadhangingOne
There is no music but metal and muhammad is its prophet.
Quote by VIRUSDETECTED
A tritone sounds right to me. Technically speaking anyway.
Yes, half an octave is a tritone, and is notated as either an augmented fourth or a diminished fifth, depending on function.
All things are difficult before they are easy.
- Dr. Thomas Fuller (British physician, 1654-1734)
Quote by Freepower
For everything you need to know - gpb0216.
Technically, yes, a tritone is half an octave. For the purposes of arpeggios, though, I would round that up to a perfect fifth. C E G is far more useful for sweeping than C E Gb.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
I'm guessing it's a 2-octave arpeggio or something. I suppose the "midway point" would be whatever chord tone you ended on, which in a 2-octave arpeggio would the middle octave if you stopped halfway.