I've been playing about a year now, and I started to improvise a few months ago. As you can probably guess, I really enjoy the solo style of Tony Iommi. Can any of you guys give me some pointers on what he's using and doing? Not that I plan to exactly copy him, but I'd still like to base my style a bit on him. Thanks . . .
Since the creation of the Internet, the Earth's rotation has been fueled, primarily, by the collective spinning of English teachers in their graves.
He works a lot in the minor pentatonic scale, and one of his favorite licks is to get to the highest note in the scale position he's playing, bend that note up and the do a fast descending lick about halfway down the scale. Try that, learn a couple of standard blues licks and that should get you started.
First you have to go to a metal works shop and cut the tip off your finger.
Then you can follow 's instructions.
YA GOTTA HIT IT ON THE ONE
pics of gear updated on profile 11/16/09
Quote by Surak
I've been playing about a year now, and I started to improvise a few months ago. As you can probably guess, I really enjoy the solo style of Tony Iommi. Can any of you guys give me some pointers on what he's using and doing? Not that I plan to exactly copy him, but I'd still like to base my style a bit on him. Thanks . . .

He works almost exclusively in the minor blues scale and uses lots of fast trilling figures; work on your trills.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by GOLDIE93
First you have to go to a metal works shop and cut the tip off your finger.
Then you can follow 's instructions.

I tried that, but it didn't work. I just got a lot of blood on my fretboard

Quote by everyone else

A lot of useful information

Thanks a lot for all the pointers.
Since the creation of the Internet, the Earth's rotation has been fueled, primarily, by the collective spinning of English teachers in their graves.
Also, a lot of Sabbath's later stuff, well, some early too, was done in C# tuning. That's 1-1/2 steps down from standard by the way. Heaven And Hell, Into The Void, Children Of The Grave, all C#.