Does anybody know what I have to do to play some metal?! I have a Strat, and it sounds more like a bell than a heavy metal guitar, I was looking at a B.C. Rich and a Epiphone LP. What do I gotta do to play some metal that will blow someones head off?

Any help guys? Any at all?
simplest way to juice up your tone is a hot rodded bridge pickup. drop in a dimarzio super distortion S in there and it'll triple your output level. what kind of amp and guitar exactly are you using?

Epiphone les pauls will do metal, but they're not made for it. i would stay away from them honestly. just work on getting good for now, then when you're ready, get something really nice like a gibson. trust me, don't become gear obsessed!
Quote by Iceman8204
I'm using an old thing called Aria? Not the best I know...

Aria actually makes some half decent stratocaster copies.

If you like the guitar, i would do what I said and just drop in a hot pickup in the bridge slot. if you have a decent amp, that will give you the head-blowing tone you're looking for.

although with a GOOD amp and technique, you could blow the head off someone with any guitar. just so you know
Quote by trashbeast

Epiphone les pauls will do metal, but they're not made for it. i would stay away from them honestly. just work on getting good for now, then when you're ready, get something really nice like a gibson. trust me, don't become gear obsessed!

I thought that about the Les Paul... But thank you for the advice.
Problem though, in my Strat I have one double coil pickup, it's not like other strats I've seen.
Quote by Iceman8204
I thought that about the Les Paul... But thank you for the advice.

I have had 2 epiphone les pauls before.

they are definately not made for metal.. like i said, they can do it. and it sounds alright. but pretty muddy. sure you can upgrade the pickups, but you're still going to want to upgrade to something better after year. plus, the amp and your technique are more important either way.

trust me.. i saved up and got a gibson sg.. the difference is astounding.. and you don't have to change the pickups.
Quote by Iceman8204
Problem though, in my Strat I have one double coil pickup, it's not like other strats I've seen.

it's probably your amp then, or the pickup is very quiet or just a peice of crap. :P
Quote by trashbeast
it's probably your amp then, or the pickup is very quiet or just a peice of crap. :P

LOL, I'll agree with the last part, my strat has seen better days, Thank you for the advice man. For real it helps A LOT!
Try all bass and treble and no middle for starters, that should give you some kinda metal sound. And don't forget to palm mute alot.
Quote by Iceman8204
LOL, I'll agree with the last part, my strat has seen better days, Thank you for the advice man. For real it helps A LOT!

good to know i helped, and one more thing though, make sure you choose a guitar that's right for you, no matter what I or anyone else says. like if you REALLY want an epiphone les paul, and you like the way it looks, sounds, and plays, don't let my words turn you away from it. and make sure you play any guitar before you buy it. i've made so many mistakes buying guitars online that turned out to be good, but totally wrong for me.
What's your budget?

I tried the lower end B.C Rich's and they are REALLY bad. I couldn't even play it, they are comfortable and the stock pickups are crap.
Put this in your head. B.C. Rich sucks. That's just me, I hate the shape.
Guitars can look more metal, but that doesen't mean they actually are.
How about trying ESP, or their lower end series LTD.
You could also get a Jackson pretty cheap nowadays.
If you are just starting out don't waste big money on an expensive guitar and amp until you know what sound you want as you get more experienced. For now get some form of metal pedal. I can use a digitech death metal pedal on a starter kit guitar and practice 10 watt amp and still sound great.
Quote by Iceman8204
Does anybody know what I have to do to play some metal?! I have a Strat, and it sounds more like a bell than a heavy metal guitar, I was looking at a B.C. Rich and a Epiphone LP. What do I gotta do to play some metal that will blow someones head off?

Any help guys? Any at all?

I've got a strat too, and I think it's good to play metal with... Much actually depends on the effects you've got, not the guitar always.
Check my profile for seeing my avatar a little bit bigger... u won't regret... it is no waste of seconds... ten seconds of your life... 30 heart punches of 1 000 000 000.
That's the spirit!!
You need a proper amp, simple as, it's nothing to do with the guitar or the pickups.

Buy yourself a Roland cube.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Definitely man you can play metal with a strat. I play metal with a strat you just need the right amp or right pedal.
Quote by guitarman2332
yes, metal is nearly impossible to play on a strat, even if it is HSS. Get a Dean, ESP, or maybe even Ibanez. They can handle the heavy duty distortion much better. That is what they are made for. Also, make sure you have a good amp, Marshall, Randall, or Roland should do good.

you're a plonker....

Iron Maiden

Andreas Kisser - Sepultura
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
I have a strat too, and it is possible to play metal as long as you have the right amp and a good FX pedal.
Quote by guitarman2332
yes, metal is nearly impossible to play on a strat, even if it is HSS.

That's stupid. Body shape doesn't dictate musical style.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.