Hey, brand new to the forum. I've been playing bass guitar for about two years and i want to pick up guitar because it looks fun^^ My little problem is that i enjoy lots of different music the top two genres being fusion jazz and metal (wierd, right?). Everyone knows the two genres can get really experimental and such and that might call for some notes lower than a normal guitar's low E and i really don't like alternative tunings. I'm sure i'd prefer just having a extra stirng on the low end, but would it, as a beginning guitarist be, overwhelming to start out on a 7 string guitar? I don't have the money to go and buy 1 guitar tuned normally and another in drop C or something so i figured a 7 string would basically fix my problems. Anyway, any thoughts appreciated.
Look at some tabs from you're favourite artists, and if a lot of them need a 7 string, go for a 7 string!
FEED ME MATHCORE

Quote by sashki

I also speak German, except no-one gives a shit.

GOOD MORNING SUNSHINE, AWAKE WHEN THE SUN HITS THE SKY
Actually. it's not wierd that you like those two genres, as they both require technical proficience in playing and both are very exciting . But I digress... You could get a 7 stringand just play it like a 6 string for a while. the presence of the 7th string will keep your picking tighter in trying to not hit it, and then when you want to use it, it'll be there.
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
a 7 string would be ideal, but you're, in the long run, have to down tune anyway, Id say get a nice 6 string and if you find you NEED a 7 string, get one later, or downtune your 6 string to that range.
Quote by Green RATM Day

Electric - you plug it into a power outlet in the wall and the music comes from little speakers in the guitar.

Quote by The Raven
^ Bugger! You win this time Dark Ra - Hey! Thats partially my name dammit! I challenge you... to a gentleman's dual!

All My Equipment
Quote by Dark_Raven10
a 7 string would be ideal, but you're, in the long run, have to down tune anyway, Id say get a nice 6 string and if you find you NEED a 7 string, get one later, or downtune your 6 string to that range.

it, would, be usefull, if you didnt, put, commas inbetween everything, as it makes , it hard to, read.

TS: a 7 would be perfect if you dont want to downtune but still want that extra 'oomph' every now and again. Also alot of Jazz musicians use sevenstrings, and they were introduced by jazz musicians.
gear.

Schecter Loomis sig.
Engl fireball.
the highest.

CANNABIZZLE

Lets blaze, put this in your sig if you want to get high.
Hell get the 7 man, its not like your a total beginer or anything. Bass to guitar is a natural tansition as many of the techniques on bass are use on guitar. I mean look at Nuno Bettencourt, he played bass till his brothers made him pick up a 6 string as he was shreding that bass!
ESP M-1 - Dimarzio Super3
Ibanez RG3270 ToneZone/Blue Velvet/Paf Pro
Ibanez RG1527
PRS CE22
Mercer Blackmachine Replica

Diezel Herbert
Diezel Einstein Combo
TC GMajor

Gain Wh0re and Diezel Mafioso
My first electric guitar was a seven string, and it wasn't weird at all.
Quote by d. b. cooper
I listen to metal, therefore I do not have feelings...
Most of the time i recommend a 6 string to start out on, as your first guitar, introduction to chords and complex picking will be much more manageable on a half decent 6, but hey if you really want it go for it, doesnt particularly affect me either way
You're not really a beginner, so you should be fine with a seven string. A problem I see though is the price. Seven string guitars cost more than regular ones and there are no cheap seven strings for beginners, so you'll have to invest around 400$-500$. So if you don't like guitar later on, you've lost a load of money. That's why I'd say if you can get a used seven string guitar for little money, go for it, but if you have to buy a new guitar, get a regular one.
Get a 7-string. you won't regret it. trust me
Brigadier of the 7-string legion. 7>6

Fender Telecaster
Schecter Damien 7
Engl Fireball
People criticizing 7-string players = pointless.

But as the others have said, you're not a beginer so you should be able to step up to a 7 string easy enough. I would like a 7 string in my collection so as not to have to change tunings all the time and I'm a fan of Jeff Loomis.
Quote by The User Name
7 string players = pointless and people begging for attention.

this made me laugh
Quote by The User Name

Statements like these in a thread about 7 strings = Pointless and begs for attention. There, I quoted you, happy?

TS, go with the 7 string. Two years of playing bass is enough to not be called a beginner, and it really isn't very different from a 6 string, apart from the width of the neck. If you want to learn all the basic stuff for 6 strings, just ignore the 7th string.
Dyer's Eve is awesome, and has an abnormally large penis, which doesn't act as any hinderance to his everyday life despite its freakishly large size.
For unrivaled obedience, user King_ofKumbucha is awarded this spot of honor.
If you feel like you'd use that extra string, I'd say go for it. Even if you decide you no longer like metal or something like that in the future, you could use the 7th string in your own songs to make it unique from most other guitar players.
Quote by The User Name

+1
Doowop dooby doo doowop doowah doolang
Blue days black nights doowah doolang!
6 string players = pointless and begging for attention. Play a 5 string like a real man

Don't be a tool.
Quote by REPOMAN
6 string players = pointless and begging for attention. Play a 5 string like a real man

Don't be a tool.

6 string guitar = foundation for your attention whore 7 string.

Don't be UG's Ultimate Tool.

Wait,OHz myz godz! I got tehz A 7 string! ah I'm A goz now!........look UG look! I added a string on my guitar! please look at me!......

*adds another string to his Ibanez*

maybe the 7 string legion should be called "I added another string to me guitar legion...YAY!"
Last edited by The User Name at Mar 6, 2008,
I say go for the 7-string
Gear:
Hagstrom Viking cherry
Crate B15 bass amp
Squier SQ MB-5 5-String Bass
Epi Valve Junior head
Russian Muff
FAB Chorus

I HAVE THE RED PUBIS
Wow, it's a shame people will actually make fun of another musician, maybe they added the string for, idk, more tonal range? I personally like 7 strings, but don't play on buying one (eventually I will, but right now something with a floyd comes first lol)

It's like someone who plays trumpet making fun of someone who plays trombone, because the trombone has a slide. It would be pointless.

It's one god damn string, get the hell over it.

TC, if you go with a 6 string, you'll be fine, if you go with a 7, you'll be fine, and even if you don't ever use it, it'll be there for that one time you need it! Lol
alright i decided that i'm getting the 7 string. How good are the Schecter Diamond series 7 strings?
get a 6 string and tune ur guitar how u want to, u dont need different guitars 4 different tunings
Quote by The User Name
6 string guitar = foundation for your attention whore 7 string.

Don't be UG's Ultimate Tool.

Wait,OHz myz godz! I got tehz A 7 string! ah I'm A goz now!........look UG look! I added a string on my guitar! please look at me!......

*adds another string to his Ibanez*

maybe the 7 string legion should be called "I added another string to me guitar legion...YAY!"

So I suppose more than one pickup on a guitar is also attention grabbing? Better yet, electric guitar in general is attention grabbing, according to you.

Get your head out of your ass.
Dyer's Eve is awesome, and has an abnormally large penis, which doesn't act as any hinderance to his everyday life despite its freakishly large size.
Fine.

And TS, check out the RG7321. It's almost the same price as the Schecters, and is great value.