Ok so as the title says im looking for a target amp. I am looking for a head or combo depending on the price. For a head + cab i know i will be getting an avatar cab.

Ok so here are the specifics

I have about 1000-1800, this will vary as my birthday is coming up and im getting a few oddjobs so the high may be a little higher or a little lower. This is for head + cab or combo. Remember the more money that stays in my pocker the better.

I play metal so id like something with heavy gain for heavy riffing and screaming leads. However i do like playing some softer leads a la Vai style so it must be able to achieve this by messing with the EQ/gain. Also take into account this if you are suggesting head + cab when suggesting speakers.

Reverb is a must.
Must have 2 channels, lead and rythm.
Independent EQs are +
Footswitch to change channels and to turn on/off reverb is a must

If you suggest an amp head what speakers would be the best for it. Im looking for heavy tight bottom end and highs that cut through. Not sure if im looking for 2x12 or 4x12 yet and i can do hybrids (two different speakers) to balance tone.

I practice at home as well as practice with, bass drums and another guitar so im looking at something that is fairly loud. If you know something that fits the description but not the price range feel free to post it as im in no hurry to purchase an amplifier right now.
Look into the german amp manufacturer ENGL, so much more gain than a mesa boogie!
Gibson, Martin, Orange, Apple.
Dude have you checked out the new marshall JVM? its 4 channel 100w all valve and mine cost me £750, and thats the the head.
i play mostly metal and this amp with the right eq will suit almost any style of metal. all channels are foot switchable and each channel has independent eq and reverb.

what guitar do you play?
My Rig:
Maverick F-1, Ibanez RG1527, Schecter Omen 8
Marshall JVM 410H,
Hand built 4x12 w/ V30s
Current board:
PXL LIVE
TU2
WHAMMY IV
MXR M132
MXR M101
TIMMY
NS2
MXR M108
XOTIC EP
TC DREAMSCAPE
DL8
line 6 spider....

on the 2nd thought...

go for the dual rectifiers from mesa boogie
Quote by loki_lulamen
Dude have you checked out the new marshall JVM? its 4 channel 100w all valve and mine cost me £750, and thats the the head.
i play mostly metal and this amp with the right eq will suit almost any style of metal. all channels are foot switchable and each channel has independent eq and reverb.

what guitar do you play?

I have an unknown brand super strat neck-thru with unknown pickups and a Jackson kelly with an emg-81 at the bridge.
Try out the Mesa Boogie Roadster. It is a great amp, good metal sound and great cleans. I would pair it with a Mesa Standard 2x12 or an Orange 2x12. Ask Tr3nt, he has a roadster and orange cab and he loves it. Good luck!
Quote by thrilla13w
The hotbar should be floating parallel to the principle axis at this point. Next, take a hammer, and beat yourself in the face while crying JIHAD. problem fixed.

Quote by Slaytanic1993
cowdude speaks words of infinite wisdomery.
Thanks, also i forgot to mention. As i said i was looking to be able to do a vai style sound id like to provide some more detailed examples of the metal sound i was looking for.

My bands range from thrash, megadeth, testament, kreator, exodus to melodeath such as In flames, children of bodom or other metal bands like norther, ensiferum, kalmah and wintersun.

Also providing what the price is for the amplifier would be nice.

The roadster looks awesome, how much would these probably go used as a new one may be out of my price range. And how often can you see one of these on ebay. As of right now i didnt see any but i will keep a lookout. Are there any other 2x12 mesa combos with a similar setup. I dont really need 4 channels but it would be nice
Last edited by Chaosinborn at Mar 6, 2008,
Quote by Chaosinborn
Thanks, also i forgot to mention. As i said i was looking to be able to do a vai style sound id like to provide some more detailed examples of the metal sound i was looking for.

My bands range from thrash, megadeth, testament, kreator, exodus to melodeath such as In flames, children of bodom or other metal bands like norther, ensiferum, kalmah and wintersun.

Also providing what the price is for the amplifier would be nice.

The roadster looks awesome, how much would these probably go used as a new one may be out of my price range. And how often can you see one of these on ebay. As of right now i didnt see any but i will keep a lookout. Are there any other 2x12 mesa combos with a similar setup. I dont really need 4 channels but it would be nice

New I wanna say the Roadster Head is $1,799 USD. A much better alternative to a Dual Rec Solo Head. And, I would take a look at that Mark IV. The reason I recomended the Roadster, is because I own it's big brother, the Road King. And, the Road King kicks my ass every time I play it. Talk about orgasmic tone.
Quote by thrilla13w
The hotbar should be floating parallel to the principle axis at this point. Next, take a hammer, and beat yourself in the face while crying JIHAD. problem fixed.

Quote by Slaytanic1993
Quote by acdcrocks0323
Mesa Mark IV would be something worth looking at.

will do

Most mesas are at the top end of my price range. I am reluctant on buying used but if its the only way i can keep cash in my pocket and get good tones i may. But first id like to exhaust any other possibility.

Any other amplifier good for what i need?
Last edited by Chaosinborn at Mar 7, 2008,
Another option for you is the carvin v3 half stack-On sale for 1400 right now for the head and 4x12 cab with v-30s, or 1500 with g12-75s In my opinion it sounds good, and it fits all of your needs.

Just another option.
Ok the carvin v3 looks very good and in my price range the guitar center around here does not carry the mesa mark IV and i dont want to buy used on ebay. Can anyone else tell me about the carvin so i can seal the deal
There are more amps for you to look into. Take a look at the Peavey 6505/5150, the Mesa Mark IVs, the Engl Fireball/Powerballs, Laney GH100L ... Try to go to a dealer in your area other than guitar center that may carry amps other than marshall and fender.
Already looked at the 6505/5150, im looking for something more versatile as well as the fact that i played one and as awesome as the gain was i couldnt see myself doing much else with it. The Mesa Mark IV is what i would go for but im actually going to have to limit my budge more than i thought and even the used ones are 1500 + which i really dont want to buy used. The engl powerball is way out of my price range at 2000 with only the head same with the fireball being 1200 at only the head. The V3 combo with the G12T-75 speakers is $1099.99 + 25 shipping.

Just found the laney one, its $1,199.00 for just the head : \
Just go used. I bought my cab used, and it is fine. Same with one of my Road Cases. Don't be a new gear *****. You pay extra for the "New Gear Smell"
Quote by thrilla13w

Quote by Slaytanic1993
I would only buy used if it was local. I dont have the cash to spare to get something repaired. If its new i know that, unless it was a lemon, it will work for a good while and if it just happens to break i do have a warranty on it. No guarantee from ebaying and no way to know how the owner treated it. I wouldnt mind buying a cabinet or a roadcase from ebay, but not my first high end tube amplifier.
Quote by Chaosinborn
I would only buy used if it was local. I dont have the cash to spare to get something repaired. If its new i know that, unless it was a lemon, it will work for a good while and if it just happens to break i do have a warranty on it. No guarantee from ebaying and no way to know how the owner treated it. I wouldnt mind buying a cabinet or a roadcase from ebay, but not my first high end tube amplifier.

Yeah, you have a point. I bought both the Road Case and the Cab local. I can't really talk seeing that I bought my Mesa new...
Quote by thrilla13w

Quote by Slaytanic1993
Yea if i find a good deal around here on a tube amp ill definetly check it out but so far not much luck.
Well, good luck to you man! I hope your noble quest is a successful one...
Quote by thrilla13w

Quote by Slaytanic1993
Thanks. Can anybody provide any insight to another amplifier.

New price range 900-1300 this is for head + cab or combo.
Quote by Chaosinborn
Thanks. Can anybody provide any insight to another amplifier.

New price range 900-1300 this is for head + cab or combo.

up