My bass, first of all its definitely not the lead or the amp that's the problem as I've tried it with different amps and leads.

My bass seems to work alright when you first plug it into the amp however after a while it starts cutting out and getting blank notes. Occasionally it starts making a thudding noise on the amp which can't be stopped unless you pull the lead out.

Has anyone got any idea on what the problem might be and how i could fix it without taking it to a shop?

Andy.
I've tried screwing it in a bit further but that didn't seem to work, if I did remove the cover what would I do after that?
dude, honestly, dont be THAT GUY ...... just take it to the shop, unless u know exactly how to solve the problem... its always better to get instruments fixed by a pro rather then doing it urself and ****ing it up.... it'll cost a bit of money, but its worth it.
Quote by GuitarManNick
dude, honestly, dont be THAT GUY ...... just take it to the shop, unless u know exactly how to solve the problem... its always better to get instruments fixed by a pro rather then doing it urself and ****ing it up.... it'll cost a bit of money, but its worth it.

I'll have to argue with that. If he doesnt do anything that he doesnt already know exactly how to do... he wont learn anything.
Check to make sure that you have good solder joints on your pups/pots/and jack. If you bass is active or it has a preamp, check to see if the battery is dead. Simple checks will most likely result in a simple fix. If it still doesnt work, then bring it into a shop. It would be very silly to bring your bass in and all they have to do is replace the battery
Thanks alot Terb it is an active bass I have only just discovered, is the bass battery a special type or is it just one I could get from a shop like a duracell battery?
shud be a standard 9volt battery I think
Quote by the humanity
I'm just joking Moog. you know nothing can tear our friendship apart, not even the fact we are miles apart, I am right there beside you, yelling, "Chug it, ya little wimp!"