Hey All!

I have a Johnson acoustic. Not a very expensive guitar but it gets me by and has a decent tone. Anyway, lately I've been getting A LOT of fret buzz off the D string especially from the 5th to 8th frets. Also my B string is dead at the 12th fret. I know you normally wouldn't play an acoustic at the 12th fret but it's still odd that it's dead there but good at the 13th up and below fret 12, etc. The guitar is about 3 years old. Not really played much until about the past two months. Any ideas what could be causing this? It just started this about 2 weeks ago. As far as I know nothing has changed. The guitar probably could use new strings but I've never known old strings to cause fret buzz and dead frets.
One time I had something between the nut and the string and it made my string buzz... Try that?

And could the neck have warped? What's the weather been like recently where you're at and where has the guitar been kept?
well, same thing hapend to me, i had this old accoustic, and the strings were REALLY high, so i took it to get lowered, and now they buzz...

go get them raised a tad...
!GEAR!

Epiphone '07 Faded Cherry G-400
Martin 00CXRAE Grand Concert
Spider III 75 watt
Fender Premium Celluloid Mediums
Dunlop Slash Crybaby Wah
Quote by eds1275
One time I had something between the nut and the string and it made my string buzz... Try that?

And could the neck have warped? What's the weather been like recently where you're at and where has the guitar been kept?

Guitar has been kept inside, controlled humidity and temp (even though the weather has been crap here, cold and wet) and most of the time in its case. I'm gonna take another look at the action. It's possible it needs raised some and I'll look at the nut as well to see if there's anything in there.
Last edited by skywalker45 at Mar 6, 2008,
Well the problem has gotten to the point that the guitar basically is not playable. I haven't had the chance to take it to the shop yet but I'm going to and I'm also worried about taking it to the shop because I think something very bad is happening to it.

It is kept in a controlled environment but since my last post the A, D, and G strings buzz so badly between the 3rd and 5th frets that the guitar is unplayable. The strings will not ring at those frets, they will only buzz.

Any ideas at all how this condition could go downhill so fast? I've checked fret height, neck straightness, etc but all are the same as they were in the beginning. When I get it to the shop and get a diagnosis I'll post back but I was hoping for any input you guys might be able to give as well.