Hi guys, I want to get other guitarists' opinions on this issue.

Ever since i started playing I have had the notion that there is a right way to play guitar and a wrong way - especially when talking about your left hand (or right hand if you are left handed).

For an easy example let's look at Paranoid by Black Sabbath - in the opening riff you can play it by keeping your index finger barred across the 12th fret of the 4th, 5th and 6th strings and just using your ring finger to play the other notes.

Although I know this is supposed to be the most effortless and therefore best way to play the song, I have always found it more comfortable to take my fingers off the fretboard and play each note individually (i.e. not barring).

The same goes for situations where you are playing across 4 frets - i.e. I should be using my pinky but it feels a lot more comfortable using my ring finger and I can play faster that way as well.

So what do you guys think about this? Do you usually play how you feel is 'right' or how you feel is natural to you?
ESP EC-1000
Schecter Demon
Ibanez RG350DX
Ibanez SZ720FM
Fender Standard Strat
BC Rich MM Warlock
Jay Turser JTB-445
Takamine Jasmine C33
Crate Blackheart 5W
Traynor T10/B
Metal Muff
feel > everything else, would u buy a great sounding guitar that was shaped like a flail, stabbing you constantly and the neck was a uncut plank? feel wins

"The mind is its own place, and in itself

Can make a Heav'n of Hell, a Hell of Heav'n"

- John Milton, Paradise Lost
Don't the notes ring out too much if you bar the strings in the paranoid riff? I think you should start using your pinky in your playing, it makes you seem like a noob if you dont. What would you say if Paul Gilbert never used his pinky?
feel feel feel feel feel feel if it doesnt feel right you wont ever be as effective as you could be
it does'nt matter about the barring becuase some people have different ways of playing, as for the pinky though it is recommended you leanr to play using it, think of it like this

you could play with 1 finger and think that feels right , but it would obiovusly make sense to use 3. you'll get more fluidity and bigger stretches when you invole your pinky
I play with what feels right, but I try to keep whats right in mind. I play paranoid the same way as you, but when it comes to using my pinky... It may not be as fast, but the more I use it, the faster it'll get hope this helps.
Quote by Pingis_Or_Death
Don't the notes ring out too much if you bar the strings in the paranoid riff? I think you should start using your pinky in your playing, it makes you seem like a noob if you dont. What would you say if Paul Gilbert never used his pinky?

PG doesn't use his pinky?
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Quote by Pingis_Or_Death

True and I DO use my pinky but every time I play I have the urge to just use my ring finger instead (especially since I have really long fingers) but I totally get what yur saying.. I just wanted to see how others felt on the issue.
ESP EC-1000
Schecter Demon
Ibanez RG350DX
Ibanez SZ720FM
Fender Standard Strat
BC Rich MM Warlock
Jay Turser JTB-445
Takamine Jasmine C33
Crate Blackheart 5W
Traynor T10/B
Metal Muff
Quote by darkarbiter7
PG doesn't use his pinky?

Umm...yes, but that wasn't the point of my post. I just meant that if you want to be a "serious" guitar player you should use your pinky too. At least if you wanna become a virtuoso.
Quote by metallicafan616
feel > everything else, would u buy a great sounding guitar that was shaped like a flail, stabbing you constantly and the neck was a uncut plank? feel wins

This is not what we're talking about. Read the thread.
Quote by kfilly20
feel feel feel feel feel feel if it doesnt feel right you wont ever be as effective as you could be

And this is wrong, it's quite the opposite really. If we're talking about technique here, feel is usually the worst judge of good and bad, because playing guitar is not something natural; when we start out, it all feels awkward, so if we don't have a teacher or UG to help us, we just do what feels least weird and clumsy.

Unfortunately, unless you're some kind of freak of nature, what feels right is usually wrong; things like anchoring your pinky or palm, not using your fretting hand pinky, wrapping your thumb over the neck, etc., all feel easier in the beginning, but in the long run will severely hinder your ability to grow as a guitarist (notice I said guitarist, not musician - remember we're talking about technique here).

Just my $.02.
^ Agreed, it may feel more comfortable and you may play faster now, but you're limiting your potential ability by abusing your pinky.
Call me Callum

Current gear - 06 MIM Strat, '02 Epiphone Les Paul, Peavey Rockingham, Tanglewood TF8, BLACKSTAR★ HT-5 Combo, EHX Holy Grail, Boss DS-1, Arion SFL-1

Newcastle (and Port Vale)
how is it eith up and down playing? i play some stuff with alternative picking, that other people play with only downstrokes..
technique is something you have to learn.

if you choose to teach yourself, then make sure you do a lot research and ask questions on these boards, because otherwise youl learn a lot of things incorrectly, and regret it later.

sure you may be able to play "that" piece doing it like that, but when it comes to something else youll try to apply what youve taught yourself wrong, and wont be able to play as well.

for example: if you learn fingerings for certain sweep shapes wrong, later down the line youll try to connect a bunch of shjapes together, and you wont be able to because youre wrong fingering of one of them makes it very hard to connect it to the next one.

get it?
Jackson KV2 USA Snow White/Black Bevels
Quote by which ones pink
wrapping your thumb over the neck, etc., all feel easier in the beginning, but in the long run will severely hinder your ability to grow as a guitarist

Just my $.02.

I don't know about that. I mean i learned the standard way to barre first, and added in the thumb over approach later. I disagree that it hinders your playing though, just to get a different effect. It's easier to play around with individual notes in the chords that way, as your hand is anchored against the neck.

Admittedly it is probably better to learn the normal way first, but still you can hardly say that Hendrix etc. weren't great guitarists and they used that approach
Adam
Play with feel but to a certain extent. If you are training your fingers for the first time, of course it won't feel right. You gotta practice to be able to play comfortably. When I first started guitar It felt more comfortable to pick it like a bass but i trained myself to use a pick and now i wouldn't even think about picking it like a bass.
Quote by adzlee123
I don't know about that. I mean i learned the standard way to barre first, and added in the thumb over approach later. I disagree that it hinders your playing though, just to get a different effect. It's easier to play around with individual notes in the chords that way, as your hand is anchored against the neck.

Admittedly it is probably better to learn the normal way first, but still you can hardly say that Hendrix etc. weren't great guitarists and they used that approach

Like you said, having the thumb over the neck isn't detrimental in all cases, just most of them. If you're playing a chord that is played like that - it's pretty obvious what you should do. Also it's damn near impossible to get good vibrato and bends with the thumb behind the neck, as you have no leverage. Those are the only two instances where having the thumb behind is better, in all others it's only going to hinder you.

And just for future reference, Hendrix isn't exactly the best example to use when justifying a technique lol, use Paul Gilbert or Steve Vai or someone like that (speaking of Gilberto, he has his thumb around the neck quite a lot, but he has such freakishly huge hands that he can get away with it).
Ever seen how Marty Friedman positions his picking hand? Weird as hell. He's still a great guitarist.

Of course there are "right" ways to do things, but eventually, you do what feels right to you. Loads of great players anchor, even more put their thumb over the neck, and loads also do vibrato in different ways. The result is the same. I personally hold a pick in a very weird way, but I can pull off pinch harmonics and pick more accurately than most people in my area.
Dyer's Eve is awesome, and has an abnormally large penis, which doesn't act as any hinderance to his everyday life despite its freakishly large size.
For unrivaled obedience, user King_ofKumbucha is awarded this spot of honor.
It's not about feel or playing right - it's about how it sounds, a lot of things that "feel" right on the guitar sound crap. If it sounds right then you're playing it right. We've all got different physical quirks and thought patterns which means we'll all play the same thing slightly differently, or use different methods to achieve the same end result.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
the thing is there is no right way..... just the way that is comfortable for you thats what my guitar teacher told me once
Quote by Suffocation74
Hi guys, I want to get other guitarists' opinions on this issue.

Ever since i started playing I have had the notion that there is a right way to play guitar and a wrong way - especially when talking about your left hand (or right hand if you are left handed).

For an easy example let's look at Paranoid by Black Sabbath - in the opening riff you can play it by keeping your index finger barred across the 12th fret of the 4th, 5th and 6th strings and just using your ring finger to play the other notes.

Although I know this is supposed to be the most effortless and therefore best way to play the song, I have always found it more comfortable to take my fingers off the fretboard and play each note individually (i.e. not barring).

The same goes for situations where you are playing across 4 frets - i.e. I should be using my pinky but it feels a lot more comfortable using my ring finger and I can play faster that way as well.

So what do you guys think about this? Do you usually play how you feel is 'right' or how you feel is natural to you?

There is no wrong way to play guitar. I play by feel. But it doesnt matter how you play something. Guitar is like a Reese's Cup. There is no wrong way. Ok. You play how you want to, because nobody can tell you what to play, how to play, who to play like. It is about what you want.
"Nice boys don't play rock n' roll" - Axl Rose in (Nice Boys cover)
Sure, you can play guitar how you want to, but you would probably have some kind of problem with your playing later on if you play in the "wrong" way.

One of the things that made me see clearly that everyone has different ways of playing was when I looked on how others play the intro to Sweet Child O' Mine. I don't use my little finger at all, and barr the note on the e string with my middle finger, another guy played it witout using his middle-finger at all and didn't barr the notes on the same fret with the same finger and so on (a little hard to explain).

That made me see that I doesn't have to play everything in a certain way. Now I just takes some advice before I start learning things to not learn it in a totally messed up way. But I still play thing in my own way.
Quote by What_is_my_name
There is no wrong way to play guitar. I play by feel. But it doesnt matter how you play something. Guitar is like a Reese's Cup. There is no wrong way. Ok. You play how you want to, because nobody can tell you what to play, how to play, who to play like. It is about what you want.

Bogus. I'm a Classical guitarist and the first thing I learned is that their is ABSOLUTELY a right way and wrong way. Depending on how quickly you are playing, it may not hinder you much, but it is still wrong.
Granted Classical and electric are 2 different worlds, but there is still right and wrong. To be more practical, playing wrong can make cause damage to your hands.
Fender 60th MIA Strat
Epiphone Les Paul Plus

Peavey JSX

Rockman Stereo Echo
Rockman Sustainor 200
2 Rockman 12-Band EQs
Rockman Stereo Chorus
RE-20 Space Echo
fulltone Clyde Standard wah

*No Advertising*