Okay, so I've been playing for about 2 years. I have good rhythm and everything, but my speed isn't exactly lightning-fast. I've been wanting to try and learn the whole shred technique. Where do I start? I've been just trying to shred on one string using the pentatonic, so I'm hoping that I can eventually play it smoothly enough to start moving amongst the strings.

So I start small while playing fast, or play slow while using all the strings?
Metronome, and theory, they will give you the building blocks so you can build technique. It wont come fast, but nothing ever does :P
Gear

'07 Ibanez RG1570MRB Prestige
'97 Ibanez RGR570 - V7/Dimarzio Fast Track/ Dimarzio PAF Pro
Westfield SG Copy
Westfield Strat Copy
Falcon Acoustic
Peavey Valveking 212
Roland Microcube
Unbranded 15W Starter Amp
Theory being scales in this instance? I have a metronome and decent fluency with the pentatonic positions.

Should I be moving my arm, or my wrist when I shred?
I'd say start with a metronome, playing some 2 or 3 string licks. Start real slow and get really clean, then gradually speed it up.

That's what I'm currently doing, and it's helping me immensly.
Gear:
Ibanez S470 (EMG 81/S/85)
Sigma DMC-15E
Laney VH100R
Laney 4x12 Cab
Ibanez Weeping Demon
M-Audio ProKeys 88
Mbox 3 Pro
KRK RP6 G2's
Plum Team FTW!

X
Quote by Rvddps
Metronome, and theory, they will give you the building blocks so you can build technique. It wont come fast, but nothing ever does :P

+1

I really don't see what the big deal with shredding is though. I'd rather listen to a nice smooth solo with soul than someone playing a billion notes a minute.
Quote by TJM2482
Theory being scales in this instance? I have a metronome and decent fluency with the pentatonic positions.

Should I be moving my arm, or my wrist when I shred?

Hmm, that depends, there's no "perfect" technique, look at marty friedman for the weirdest picking angle ive EVER seen, but he shreds my ass off. I suggest try to move your wrists, but keep the movement to a minimum, as that keeps the speed up.
Gear

'07 Ibanez RG1570MRB Prestige
'97 Ibanez RGR570 - V7/Dimarzio Fast Track/ Dimarzio PAF Pro
Westfield SG Copy
Westfield Strat Copy
Falcon Acoustic
Peavey Valveking 212
Roland Microcube
Unbranded 15W Starter Amp
You're gonna need more than 5 note scales to shred (go for some harmonic minor), learn your theory and scale shapes. You're gonna need to have fluidity with arpeggios to a certain extent to sound good...also gonna wanna be able to play all the positions and switch keys and whatnot, which is pretty much all theory.

John Petrucci's DVD Rock Discipline has stuff and you'd wanna do that for many hours a day.
Gibson Les Paul Classic
Traynor YCV 50 Custom Blue

Quote by Dee'snutz
YES! you, Dazed/confused, are a genius. my thanks to you, good friend
learn your major/minor scales.
i also see a lot of shredders using the harmonic minor

definitely take it slow and work with a metrenome

look at some songs and take the licks you enjoy from them and just work on them!
Top lel.