I received a guitar for Christmas and have recently started to take lessons. I am to the point where I can change and strum basic chords pretty well, and am getting pretty clean with my picking in scales/basic riffs.

Thing is, I am guessing (since I haven't really played too many other guitars) the guitar I am using is a real piece of s**t. It is a Montana, and I think cost around $120 (I am guessing it is not worth half that). It is kinda cool looking but I dont think it really sounds great, the action is high, and I want to get a new guitar sooner rather than later.

My question is, at what skill level would you recommend someone to go out and spend say $300 (like something on the $300 thread) to get a decent acoustic? I am guessing the answer may revolve more on "desire" rather than ability, but I do have the desire to play and practice daily and I am sure I will be taking lessons for quite a while. Other than the "desire" aspect of it, what types of skills would you recommend I have and/or at what point would one become frustrated with the crappy playability of a $100 guitar?

Thanks for the help.
If you really want to play guitar for a longer time, you should purchase the best gear you can afford at the time. If you can spend 300$ go for it.

But you know, sometimes people blame their gear and make excuses when they just don't practice enough :P
My Rig:

+Epiphone AJ100 acoustic
+Fender 60th. Anniversary Stratocaster
+Vox AD30VT
+Vox V847a Wah

look all i wanted was for someone to give me advice on what to do not to slag me off ok

Want advice? Suck yourself off.
Quote by dilbert_5150
But you know, sometimes people blame their gear and make excuses when they just don't practice enough :P

Yeah I hear you dilbert, I guess I should specify. The tone in the guitar isn't all that great, my b string comes out of tune really fast, and just sounds off in the first place (my guitar teacher is like WTF every time we tune up), and the overall quality is poor. I just started guitar, so I am progressing, but still not very good - so the guitar suits me fine for now, I am just curious about when people decide to upgrade their gear.
In that case you should start looking for a new axe, mate. But there's no rush, find some time to go to different music shops, try some other acoustics (maybe an electric?), ask your teacher for advices (they usually know a lot about gear, cause different students have different guitars), or ask your friend, who knows BETTER And during summer it will be a best time to purchase a new guitar, I guess.

cheers
My Rig:

+Epiphone AJ100 acoustic
+Vox AD30VT
+Vox V847a Wah

look all i wanted was for someone to give me advice on what to do not to slag me off ok

I'm in the same boat, I actually got the cheap guitar (Costco starter pack, Yamaha FD02) in xmas of '05, just haven't really gotten around to playing it until this christmas break, and i've been pretty driven to practice every day and i'm pretty competent and I know i definitely want to play more, maybe start lessons this summer. I'm still debating whether to get a nice acoustic $300-500 range or even an electric guitar in the same range, I'll probably play around with some stuff this summer. A few of my friends have nice guitars (high end Takamine / Alvarez) and they're frippin glorious to play, but I dunno, having a good electric guitar might be nice.
You should upgrade when you can play another guitar you can afford and notice a huge difference for the better. Otherwise, there's no point, you'll just spoil yourself. A wise man once said that a man who really wants to learn how to ride a horse shouldn't ride a good horse. Same with guitars. Jimi Hendrix learned on one that he found in the trash.
IMO, there's no time like the present for a little upgrade. Not a major one mind you, but there's no reason why you should play what you consider a piece of crap. My first (and only) guitar was an Alvarez, RD-8 I believe was the model, and it has played wonderfully for the 2 years that I have owned it. It cost me about $300, and it sounds extraordinary to me. I have never once wished that I had a more expensive guitar. Like any guitar, there are a few things that I wish were a little better, but as far as I'm concerned there is no better guitar to start with or in your case upgrade to, especially for the price.
Quote by doggy_hat
And I can always borrow my friend's urine.

Love is the water of life, drink it with heart and soul---Rumi

----i love to drink----
since you're going to play it for sure, i think you should try to buy something at about the $500ish and under range. im suggesting that you go as high as this because if you buy something in the $300ish range... how much longer do you think it'll last you before you want to upgrade again? I bought a $400 Art & Lutherie. wonderful guitar for the price... but i've outgrown it in under a year. It has a slight intonation problem in the highest two strings, and it bothers the heck out of me. Of course... i am a very picky when it comes to these things because i do perform.

As for "skill you need" before buying a guitar. don't kid yourself. there's no such thing as needing to "earn" a guitar with a certain amount of skill. The instrument is just a tool of expression. A good guitar will help you become a better guitarist because you'll want to play it. Wanting to play it MAKES you play it. Playing it gets you practice. Practice makes you better. Sounding better will make you want to play even more.

The sound any guitar produces is about 90% from the guitarist and 10% from the guitar. dont deny yourself a good guitar because you think you aren't "worthy" of it quite yet.

PS: i've played guitar for 11 months and owned my guitar for that long as well. in august, im planning to purchase my second guitar in the $1500 price range. I actually do play enough to need the higher quality guitar. so yea... time is not a factor in how long before you buy another guitar.
I would say get the best guitar you can afford - and have it set up properly by a technician (it's not expensive) because a guitar that sounds good and is easy to play will encourage you to play it more and your abilities will increase quickly.

That's something I sugges to all beginners who are serious about learning to play well.
I bought mine after only 5 months of play; decided to go pretty expensive (700 US Dollars); a bit overkill, but I felt I was ready for a new guitar, and wanted to spoil myself a bit. *shrug*
Who cares about your current skill level if you want to buy a new guitar. Just go buy it. It's for you anyhow, not us. Doesn't matter a rip to us if you can play or not. Doesn't matter to us if you want to buy a Martin and toss it into a campfire either. It's your money, and it'll be your guitar. You are doing it for you, not us.
You don't need us to justify to you weather or not you're current level of playing is "worthy" of a new guitar or not, because that's just wrong headed thinking. If everyone needed justification for the purchases they made in their lives from their peers, nothing would ever get bought, because everyone would be telling everyone else "No, you're not good enough yet to have that", or, "You're driving sucks so bad that you can't own that car yet, just get a crappy one".
It's your life bubba, live it!
^ haha, seems a little bit harsh but it's true

Maybe some people are afraid of their parents/girlfriends/boyfriends, who don't approve buying an expensive gear. I remember one day, when I come home with a BIG BOX with a fender strat in it. My mom was like: "oh my God, why..." (yeah, she thinks it's a waste of cash :P ), but I pay for my gear with money I earn working here and there, so she couldn't say or do anything about it
My Rig:

+Epiphone AJ100 acoustic
+Vox AD30VT
+Vox V847a Wah

Like the others have said, it doesn't matter what your skill level is.
Whether it's worth it depend on how much you'll use/enjoy it.
It sounds like you have the desire, and that is with a guitar that doesn't sound very good.
Your desire will increase exponentially when you get a decent guitar.
You should get the best one you can afford. GAS is a condition that intensifies rapidly.
I had only been playing for a year when I bought my $2,800 custom electric. No, there's no way I can play it to its full potential, but I got a good deal on it for what it is and I'll have it the rest of my life, so who cares.
My personal opinion is that, keep practicing on your guitar for awhile, and then by desire buy a new guitar that suits your sound and style, and then you'll appreciate the new upgrade even more!!!
When you feel like your current guitar is restricting your potential playing ability then you should upgrade it