In a fit of boredom I was fiddling with the knobs on my Spider III.. lo and behold, I found a tone that works really well for a lo-fi, scratchy, distorted sound. I'm not even kidding.

For anyone who cares it's on the insane channel with the gain around 5, bass at 5, mids at 8, and treble between 6 and 7, as well as a little tiny bit of reverb. It's roughly the same setting used on my band's recordings (unfortunately I have no other amp at the moment...), but EQ'ed a little better.

But I realized this tone bears some similarities to Jonny Greenwood's scratchy, lo-fi distorted tone (at least OK computer era anyway.. think the Paranoid Android solo if you don't know what I'm talking about). After all, he does use a crappy little SS amp and pedals for his distortion. I've decided that I suddenly like my Spider III a little bit more.

And skeptics never fear, I'm still getting my Hot Rod Deluxe soon. But is this some kind of fluke or have I found a genuine use for my useless amp?

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Solder fume huffer σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Electronic Audio Experiments
spiders ftw
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Antisocial Behaviour Order. A chav's equivalent of GCSEs.
Quote by hrdcorelaxplaya
Your crappy amp achieved a purposely crappy tone? I'll alert the presses.

haha well I agree when you put it that way.. but it's refreshing to know the amp has a purpose.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣

i think i told you about jonny greenwoods ss amp... and its not crappy, the only reason it works for him live is that it paired with marshall shredmeister make a good combination for his experimental trips within the song, if it were a crappy amp it wouldnt handle that well...

and honestly dont go for the hot rod deluxe if you want any type of "awesome" distortion, even distortion pedals dont work out the problem.
Quote by Gibson_Rocker13
you are my new hero cause i do the exact same thing but i suck at it

#8 of the EHX USERS GUILD
Quote by SublimeGuitar
Orange Rocker 30. Best Marshall ever

epi firefly dsp 30, epi sg, big muff
olp five string, peavy max 158
I can get some pretty good distortion out of my HRD, but only with the help of pedals. I'm into more of an experimental sound and wanted the best possible cleans (on a budget, obviously) so I could load up on some weird pedals. If you're looking for an amp with good overdrive on it's own however, you should look elsewhere.
::Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
::Fender MIM HSS Strat w/ Bareknuckle Nailbomb and killbutton
::Digitech Whammy, ZVEX Fuzz Factory, EHX MicroSynth, Kaoss Pad 3,
Boss GE-7, Fulltone OCD, Digitech Digidelay, MXR EVH Phase 90, FoxxTone FuzzWahVolume
Quote by latinosuperstud
i think i told you about jonny greenwoods ss amp... and its not crappy, the only reason it works for him live is that it paired with marshall shredmeister make a good combination for his experimental trips within the song, if it were a crappy amp it wouldnt handle that well...

and honestly dont go for the hot rod deluxe if you want any type of "awesome" distortion, even distortion pedals dont work out the problem.

You did mention that.. but the amp didn't get good reviews, even with one guy who tried the shredmaster into it. I'm thinking Jonny's amp and/or pedal are modded.

And I liked the distortion on the HRD I tried, and I'm sure with a pedal to push it a bit harder I can pull off anything I need to.

Quote by PKTrono
I can get some pretty good distortion out of my HRD, but only with the help of pedals. I'm into more of an experimental sound and wanted the best possible cleans (on a budget, obviously) so I could load up on some weird pedals. If you're looking for an amp with good overdrive on it's own however, you should look elsewhere.

I liked the feel of the built-in distortion.. maybe it's just me, but it worked really well.

But I definitely need to work on developing an experimental sound with more pedals. Right now I'm playing the role of a more traditional lead guitarist while the 3rd guitarist in my band is starting to load up on pedals to broaden our sound (he just added a boss flanger to his collection, which also includes a boss PS-5 and a DD-3 that he got three weeks ago). So to fill the traditional role of lead guitarist I will need good distortion, but like I said I already like the HRD. I don't have a ton of money and I think Valvekings are a tad muddy.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Well don't get me wrong, I love my HRD. Just letting you know that the overdrive doesn't get too heavy on it's own. But if it's enough for you then that's great, as the cleans on it are awesome.
::Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
::Fender MIM HSS Strat w/ Bareknuckle Nailbomb and killbutton
::Digitech Whammy, ZVEX Fuzz Factory, EHX MicroSynth, Kaoss Pad 3,
Boss GE-7, Fulltone OCD, Digitech Digidelay, MXR EVH Phase 90, FoxxTone FuzzWahVolume
Quote by PKTrono
Well don't get me wrong, I love my HRD. Just letting you know that the overdrive doesn't get too heavy on it's own. But if it's enough for you then that's great, as the cleans on it are awesome.

Absolutely. When I tried it with my band we have one song where my part is largely clean guitar, and it was incredible.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Quote by bartdevil_metal
I use my distortion pedal on the acoustic model on my cube to get a ridiculous sound.

word
Gear:
Modded Steinberger Spirit (white) (SD-AH/EMG Select)
Modded Steinberger GP-2R (white) (EMG81/60)
Peavey XXL head
Hughes and Kettner Cream Machine
Hughes and Kettner Blues Master
With some fiddling you can actually get some serviceable tones out of the Spider. It will never exceed practice amp status, but one isn't as nearly handicapped by owning one as others profess around here.
Quote by hrdcorelaxplaya

If you're into lo-fi, at all, anything crappy is useful.
Quote by stradivari310
In a fit of boredom I was fiddling with the knobs on my Spider III.. lo and behold, I found a tone that works really well for a lo-fi, scratchy, distorted sound. I'm not even kidding.

For anyone who cares it's on the insane channel with the gain around 5, bass at 5, mids at 8, and treble between 6 and 7, as well as a little tiny bit of reverb. It's roughly the same setting used on my band's recordings (unfortunately I have no other amp at the moment...), but EQ'ed a little better.

But I realized this tone bears some similarities to Jonny Greenwood's scratchy, lo-fi distorted tone (at least OK computer era anyway.. think the Paranoid Android solo if you don't know what I'm talking about). After all, he does use a crappy little SS amp and pedals for his distortion. I've decided that I suddenly like my Spider III a little bit more.

And skeptics never fear, I'm still getting my Hot Rod Deluxe soon. But is this some kind of fluke or have I found a genuine use for my useless amp?

It took me like a long time to find a decent tone on this amp for metal. Im saving up for a b52 atm =)
Epiphone G-400
GFS Crunchy PAF - Bridge

DigiTech Bad Monkey
iSP Decimator

New Amp Fund: Depleted
Quote by the.spine.surfs
If you're into lo-fi, at all, anything crappy is useful.

Yeah that's slowly becoming my philosophy on amps.. it's like a backwards kind of tone freakiness.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Quote by rhettro
With some fiddling you can actually get some serviceable tones out of the Spider. It will never exceed practice amp status, but one isn't as nearly handicapped by owning one as others profess around here.

That's pretty much what I've discovered. And the channels barely do what they say anyway.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Quote by stradivari310
Yeah that's slowly becoming my philosophy on amps.. it's like a backwards kind of tone freakiness.

Mmhmm. A little indie-fag thinking can make you really resourceful.
I can get a decent fuzz out of my spider. I use it to play muse an stuff. Here's what I do

Insane channel

Gain - Max

treble - 7

Mid - 0 ( I never really scoop my mids, but this is a different scenario)

bass - 5

Don't forget to turn your tone knob to about 5. I'm actually thinking of getting a line selector (i can get one for free) and pairing this up with my future traynor ycv50 for a fuzzy tone till I get a roger mayer Axis fuzz
Quote by sum_ugly_man
I can get a decent fuzz out of my spider. I use it to play muse an stuff. Here's what I do

Insane channel

Gain - Max

treble - 7

Mid - 0 ( I never really scoop my mids, but this is a different scenario)

bass - 5

Don't forget to turn your tone knob to about 5. I'm actually thinking of getting a line selector (i can get one for free) and pairing this up with my future traynor ycv50 for a fuzzy tone till I get a roger mayer Axis fuzz

I've been considering using a line selector too. If I get my HRD I can use that for cleans and the Spider for my ugly lo-fi stuff. I hate mid scoops, although I'll have to try those settings myself.

Then again, I finally tried a Valveking yesterday and I was thoroughly impressed. I may just get a fuzz pedal to use with that so I can get my crappy tone whenever I like.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Quote by hrdcorelaxplaya

HA HA HA HA .... that... has been sigged.
Quote by hrdcorelaxplaya
Well everything in this thread is now pointless because I found a used Peavey Classic 50

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣